Sign in to follow this  
drewwill06

PPR Running Back Sleepers

First post here....thought I would look for some help RE PPR running back sleepers for this year. The easy choices are Pierre Thomas and Toby Gerhart. Anyone else I am missing I should target on draft day?

I have the #1 pick.....going with Charles followed by some combination of Nelson/Brown/Jeffrey/Ball for my second and third rounders...depending on who is there.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ball shouldn't be available in the second round.

Vereen is a good candidate.

Woodhead is probably a little under appreciated.

Had Woodhead last year...did a very solid job for me.

What about WR? I have Emmanuel Sanders, Michael Floyd and maybe Tavon Austin as targets.

There is a thread on deep wr sleepers already.

I like AJ Jenkins, Marvin Jones, Brandon Cooks, Riley Cooper is being drafted too late imo, Cecil Shorts going a little too late imo also.

How about Ellington at rb I like him a lot . Also De Williams with the Panthers not worth a high pick but I thank he can have a very solid season with a team that lost their starting wr's . And R Jennings I thank he well be a three down rb with the Giants . Also I like a late pick with Freeman with the Falcons . I think S Jackson's betters days are behind him.

Ball shouldn't be available in the second round.

Vereen is a good candidate.

Woodhead is probably a little under appreciated.

I feel Woodhead is very under appreciated as is fred Jackson ....again.

James White, NE

this is a RB sleeper.

most of the RBs being named aren't even close to the traditional definition of sleepers, not close at all.

u guys can do better!

RB sleeper> late rd pick or unrostered players who has a chance to emerge on the FF scene.

james white, good one, milk. if vereen gets hurt, which is plausable, this guy could step into the passing down back role. guy to watch in ppr if that happens.

ill go with a few guys who i think are arguably the best RBs on their teams.

how bout devonta freeman? is sjax at the end of the road? maybe. if he aint, he's close. while im not a big fan of his pedigree, it would be a good situation for him.

how bout david wilson? yeah, i know, i know. i think he's still the best back in NYG, even with rashard jennings coming in. maybe even andre williams.

how bout tre mason? i think he's the best RB in St Louis. zac stacey was less than impressive, despite his yardage totals and minopoly on the position.

how bout lance dunbar? linehan likes to use 2 backs, dunbar could be second guy. is murray super durable? i think not.

how bout cj anderson? im not impressed by ball, never was at wisconsin either. cj could start off as a 5/7 carry guy who makes a leap in the best offense in the nfl.

digging a little deeper still, how bout talieferro in balt? smal college, true. but he's a good talent i'm watching. im not so sure i know what's going in baltimore, despite good reports of ray ray so far. i said deeper, didn't i?

• Like 1

Taliaferro is good.

Mason will need an injury to both cunningham and stacy to be relevant imo.

Freeman is just the suck. Dont waste a roster spot.

• Like 1

devonta freeman, cj anderson, and lorenzo taliaferro might the criteria.

not impressed with freeman's talent but a good offense if he gets playing time. ditto anderson. taliaferro i think has talent and probably opportunity at least early on if ray rice is suspended.

another may be andre williams in new york. not a pass catcher, but a good runner. rashad jennings probably has the job locked down, but if he goes down williams is a better "lead" back than any of their other backs.

not sure they're sleepers any more but terrance west and jeremy hill in cle/cin should both play right away too.

Theo Riddick. Lions new OC, Joe Lombardi, was the Saints QB coach and has experience utilizing 3 RBs for specific roles (Pierre, Ingram, Sproles). There's been a lot of talk that Detroit may use Riddick in the Sproles role in their offense this year, and both Reggie Bush and back up QB Dan Orlovsky have sung the praises of Riddick in OTA's, with Orlovsky recently saying that he would be shocked if Riddick doesn't catch at least 50 passes this year. If you're looking for a PPR sleeper at the RB position, Riddick is the definition.

Ok fine, one more for the deeper-leaguers and dynasty dudes: Charles Sims, TB.

He's already penciled in as the 3rd down back, and the coaches have already been praising him as a "complete back." He's 6' 210, a good blocker, a better receiver, and Tampa liked him enough to take before this thread's aforementioned rookie sleepers, Tre Mason and Devonta Freeman.

Martin didn't look so hot last year before he got hurt, and Tampa's OC has already said that he is a RBBC guy and that Martin's workload will decrease. I think Sims will start eating into his carries pretty quick unless Martin regains his rookie year form. Regardless, if you draft Martin (why would you do that at his ADP anyway?), you'd be nuts not to also grab Sims, who is going undrafted in a lot of 12 team mocks these days.

If we are talking about deeep RB sleepers then CJ Anderson has to be the guy. If you watch his videos he is a big back with soft hands. He is an excellent fit for this offense. The Denver offense moves so quickly on the field the RB has to be able to block and catch balls. They don't want to let the D sub as they bring a 3rd down back. If Ball drops some passes or misses a block the door could open up.

I like Andre Ellington and Bernard Pierce.

At WR I also like Michael Floyd.

Roy Helu. Most have written him off with Shanahanigans gone...but we have no idea how Gruden will perceive him.

Mikel Leshoure. Same dump.different commode...and two guys ahead of him that have injury history.

Chris Polk. I'm not buying into Sproles being used a bunch. And after LeSean McCoy had over 300 carries....the risk to miss time the following season increases exponentially. Polk will get run this season.

Ellington and Gerhart are not sleepers. HTH

The way the O.P. phrased the question, he's looking for players like Gerhart and Ellington. Shouldn't have used the phrase sleepers, but he's not looking for sleepers really, but starting RBs that are up and comers for the 2014 season. HTH

Roy Helu. Most have written him off with Shanahanigans gone...but we have no idea how Gruden will perceive him.

Mikel Leshoure. Same dump.different commode...and two guys ahead of him that have injury history.

Chris Polk. I'm not buying into Sproles being used a bunch. And after LeSean McCoy had over 300 carries....the risk to miss time the following season increases exponentially. Polk will get run this season.

I was going to say Helu but I have already said that in years past. He did have that one huge game against the Bears last year!

Theo Riddick. Lions new OC, Joe Lombardi, was the Saints QB coach and has experience utilizing 3 RBs for specific roles (Pierre, Ingram, Sproles). There's been a lot of talk that Detroit may use Riddick in the Sproles role in their offense this year, and both Reggie Bush and back up QB Dan Orlovsky have sung the praises of Riddick in OTA's, with Orlovsky recently saying that he would be shocked if Riddick doesn't catch at least 50 passes this year. If you're looking for a PPR sleeper at the RB position, Riddick is the definition.

I'm curious about this one. Bush caught 54 and Bell 53. That's 107. Good for most in the league by a running back duo to Woody and Mathews with 102.

Just hypothetically if Theo catches 50 balls is that due to injury to one of the other 2? At the expense of one or both?

I surely can't see 150 catches going to RBs on a squad with Calvin, that added Tate and drafted Ebron...

I own Bush in both dynasty's and when he falls apart this year or is part of a 3 headed time share I will pay the price but I love this:

"He's going to have eight passes a game," Orlovsky said, "whether they're screens, whether they're one-on-ones, whether they're checkdowns, where they're going to be pass plays called for him."

8 targets a game=128 passes=20% of Stafford total targets from 2013.

JAMAAL CHARLES got 104 targets.

I own Bush in both dynasty's and when he falls apart this year or is part of a 3 headed time share I will pay the price but I love this:

"He's going to have eight passes a game," Orlovsky said, "whether they're screens, whether they're one-on-ones, whether they're checkdowns, where they're going to be pass plays called for him."

8 targets a game=128 passes=20% of Stafford total targets from 2013.

JAMAAL CHARLES got 104 targets.

Maybe I can get Bush in a ppr league this year so he doesn't disappoint.

Just as a point of reference, Joe Lombardi comes from New Orleans so I did some research on the pass distribution on the Saints RBs over the years. Case in point, in 2011, Pierre, Sproles, and Ingram combined for 147 receptions on a team where Graham caught 99 and Colston caught 80, so is it possible for 150 receptions to be spread between Bush, Bell, and Riddick? Yeah I'd say so, when both Bush and Bell are constantly dinged up. OP did say sleeper PPR RB, right?

• Like 1

Just as a point of reference, Joe Lombardi comes from New Orleans so I did some research on the pass distribution on the Saints RBs over the years. Case in point, in 2011, Pierre, Sproles, and Ingram combined for 147 receptions on a team where Graham caught 99 and Colston caught 80, so is it possible for 150 receptions to be spread between Bush, Bell, and Riddick? Yeah I'd say so, when both Bush and Bell are constantly dinged up. OP did say sleeper PPR RB, right?

Possible, yes. Riddick though? I doubt it.

Great stuff. No doubt the history is there. Heck I just looked and Thomas and Sproles caught 148 last year. A 3rd guy, Ingram say, hasn't really been a factor for them though in that aspect of the game but maybe this pie is distributed more evenly.

That's the part of the usage puzzle I'm trying to figure out.

Great stuff. No doubt the history is there. Heck I just looked and Thomas and Sproles caught 148 last year. A 3rd guy, Ingram say, hasn't really been a factor for them though in that aspect of the game but maybe this pie is distributed more evenly.

That's the part of the usage puzzle I'm trying to figure out.

Until we see something in camp, I'm figuring Bell / Riddick at 30-40 each and Bush at 50+.

I would put Bell over 50 as well. I think the rest of the that backfield, outside of Bell and Bush, is just hearing the normal preseason hype. At the end of the season, I think Bell will have very similar stats to Bush and you can get him a few rounds, to several rounds, later.

Been looking into this more and I've found the turf vs grass splits fascinating. (Hoping my first math go round is correct)

PPR stats

Reggie 9 turf games: 178.2/9= 19.8 PPR points per game (Included the Vikings away game)

Reggie 5 grass games: 67/5= 13.4 PPR points per game (He was injured the Washington game and his calf-snow- made him not go against the Eagles away....)

The only one I'm coming up with is Khiri Robinson. I think he's got a good shot at starting. Ingram has NO moves. Thomas has his uses, but Robinson looks like he makes good quick decisions, nice cuts, and finds holes on the move well.

After him, it's all a big reach. Terrence West looks like he might give Ben Tate a run for his money, but I'm not really buying into that much. West isn't very shifty. He leans into piles. He'll get carries, but if Tate is healthy, I think Tate fights him off.

Beyond that, it's guys who are lined up behind someone, waiting for the starter to implode. Bradshaw and Ballard waiting for Richardson to screw the pooch. Ivory waiting for Johnson to blow it. Freemen waiting for Jackson to get injured again. Etc...