Sign in to follow this  
American Chewy

Calling it: Stacy breaks out this week

This Rams team will not have any sort of success without a power running game. That constitutes 22-25 carries, 100+ yards rushing per game, a time of possession advantage... They need to decide how that can happen, whether it be a RBBC with a hot hand change of pace approach, or go with a bell cow. I think with this team the latter is probably best approach. Evidently worked last year to some degree. Question is which RB is best suited?

Rams coaches need to take a hard look at Benny Cunningham and resolve whether he is an NFL RB or not.

Stacy practiced in full today.

Start him with confidence! :thumbsup:

Stacy was a beast. I can't believe I missed on out on this kid especially tonight against the Niners. So glad your advice is so worth listening to. I'm offering up Julio to the Stacy owner.

with everything aligning against Zac Stacy...his hurt calf and the bad matchup to go along with pedestrian numbers all year...I believe this will be the game he emerges with a big week.

reasoning? first off, its the first division game for the rams and they are at home and need to win. I think they pulled Zac quickly from the eagles game which was out of reach so they could have him for the big home division game. The rams are 1-3 but if they can do some damage in the division they could stay alive. Austin Davis has shown some spark, enough that teams will have to start respecting the pass, especially from emerging WR Quick. Zac has averaged 4.2 ypc, the problem is they aren't giving him the ball enough. Last season when given 20+ carries he delivered. In the rams only win this year against TB, Zac got 19 carries, his season high. I think the rams could come out with a gameplan to run right at the 49ers, despite their supposedly great run def.

And what of that defense? In week 1 Murray had no problem against the niners when he got 22 carries putting up 118yrds for a 5.4ypc avg and last week Charles had 80 yards on 15 carries for a 5.3 ypc avg. the other teams the 49ers have faced don't commit to the run like the cowboys and chiefs do. Arizona, Chicago, and philly are pass heavy teams (look at the run/pass ratios link on the fftoday homepage). I believe the niners can be run on and I think finally the rams will come out in a must win game and run run run and Zac will get 20-25 touches and put up 20+ points like we've been hoping for all season.

And if anyone is concerned about his injury last year Stacy was highly questionable before the titans game and had his biggest game of the year. he plays through injury and plays well. And as for Cunningham he will get some touches I am sure but it will be in the roll he's had all year which is to give Stacy a breather or when they run hurry up or in garbage time. I don't think this staff envisions Cunningham as any kind of workhorse. he's a great complementary player though.

Start Stacy with confidence and ride him to victory!!

Sweet synopsis. 8 for 17 yards tonight vs Niners. Stacy is a stud! Thnx for pointing him out.

Mason looked really good on the other hand.

He did, other than when he got totally destroyed on blitz pickup. Understandable having seen no game action.

have no problem coming in here and admitting I was wrong. Not only did the Rams not re-commit to the run like I hoped, but Stacy did not appear 100% to me. He had nothing tonight, he had not looked this bad all year. Droppable player with how they are running their offense. no longer a power run team but instead a drop back and get sacked/fling it to nobody team. Must be playing for a top draft pick...but it shouldn't be fisher making the pick. too bad. I enjoyed watching Stacy play last season.

As a St. Louis homer who was big on Stacy prior to the season, I can tell you our thoughts; We need to get rid of this entire coaching staff. Someone on this site from TN posted we would find out soon enough why Fisher was overrated when we signed him. Well, that guy was correct. Marty Schottenheimer may be the worst Offensive Coordinator in all of football. Fisher simply looks lost and our drafts have been filled with guys good enough to start for the Rams, but not likely for a real NFL team. We've ignored the RB, QB and CB position for years. Tavon Austin doesn't belong on an NFL roster, unless he's in an offense like Philly or New Orleans runs. Mason is the best RB we have in terms of talent, but even with only one win, Fisher is reluctant to put him in and let him learn. That wouldn't be so bad if we were giving the kid practice reps during the week, but he isn't getting them with the first team. Instead, Fisher is grasping at straws and putting in Cunningham, Watts and/or Stacy. Granted, Bradford going down killed Stacy's value this season, but whose fault is it we weren't prepared for that? Les Snead and Jeff Fisher. The media and fans here wanted a QB in 2013 and 2014. What did the Rams do? Nothing. Our front office is a train wreck. Fans don't want to root for the team as Kroenke is undoubtedly moving them back to LA. Fisher remains loyal to Schottenheimer, the same Schottenheimer who was run out of New York for ruining that offense.

This isn't the NFL circa 1988. Fisher seems to believe his "ra ra" talks in the locker room can inspire a very mediocre team to win big games. Well, you need some good players too. Who drafts a talent like Robinson to be a run mauling guard, then sits them on the bench in favor of a VERY average player? The Rams. Who refuses to swallow their pride and put in Quick as a starter? The Rams. Watch how we line up in our standard formation. It's a two TE set with Kendricks / Cook and the WR's are Britt and Austin. Why the fock is Austin being started over Quick? Every week it's the same thing. Against the Eagles, Quick saw the field for only one snap until we were down by 21 points. Why? It's mind boggling. My belief is Fisher is trying to justify taking a tiny WR so early in the draft.

We have no good Corners. Jenkins gambles too much. Gaines is a rookie, but has looked great on some plays while looking absolutely lost on others. He's like a career third CB. Our safeties can hit, but miss as many tackles as they make. Our defensive line, for being so talent rich, is vastly underperforming. Jake Long looks like he's at the end of the line at Left Tackle and Wells has been done for years. Brockers was drafted too high and Laurinitis is the most overrated MLB in all of football. He makes one nice play each week, then gets totally run over in the running game on 6 other plays. This season we're using more blitz packages. WHY?! All that does is leave our weak Corners in man coverage and we're being exploited by even the most average of QB's.

Sadly, the future isn't looking too bright. The fans here are giving up. A decade without a winning season will do that to you. Fisher did a radio interview earlier this season. In it, he stated the 49'ers, Seahawks and Cardinals had some tough decisions to make with their team due to the salary cap and the Rams would catch up to them because of this. Really??? That's the plan? Wait for the other teams to get old, or have to purge players, then hope you can compete? WTF kind of logic is that? I mean, let's not draft well, or bring in any free agents because sooner or later those other three teams will fall off?! When your HC says crap like that, you know he doesn't even believe his team can win.

As a Rams fan, sometimes you want to pretend you are Cartman from South Park. You want to stand up in your seat and scream "Why are you focking me Coach?!!!"

End of Rant.

• Like 2

As a St. Louis homer who was big on Stacy prior to the season, I can tell you our thoughts; We need to get rid of this entire coaching staff. Someone on this site from TN posted we would find out soon enough why Fisher was overrated when we signed him. Well, that guy was correct. Marty Schottenheimer may be the worst Offensive Coordinator in all of football. Fisher simply looks lost and our drafts have been filled with guys good enough to start for the Rams, but not likely for a real NFL team. We've ignored the RB, QB and CB position for years. Tavon Austin doesn't belong on an NFL roster, unless he's in an offense like Philly or New Orleans runs. Mason is the best RB we have in terms of talent, but even with only one win, Fisher is reluctant to put him in and let him learn. That wouldn't be so bad if we were giving the kid practice reps during the week, but he isn't getting them with the first team. Instead, Fisher is grasping at straws and putting in Cunningham, Watts and/or Stacy. Granted, Bradford going down killed Stacy's value this season, but whose fault is it we weren't prepared for that? Les Snead and Jeff Fisher. The media and fans here wanted a QB in 2013 and 2014. What did the Rams do? Nothing. Our front office is a train wreck. Fans don't want to root for the team as Kroenke is undoubtedly moving them back to LA. Fisher remains loyal to Schottenheimer, the same Schottenheimer who was run out of New York for ruining that offense.

This isn't the NFL circa 1988. Fisher seems to believe his "ra ra" talks in the locker room can inspire a very mediocre team to win big games. Well, you need some good players too. Who drafts a talent like Robinson to be a run mauling guard, then sits them on the bench in favor of a VERY average player? The Rams. Who refuses to swallow their pride and put in Quick as a starter? The Rams. Watch how we line up in our standard formation. It's a two TE set with Kendricks / Cook and the WR's are Britt and Austin. Why the fock is Austin being started over Quick? Every week it's the same thing. Against the Eagles, Quick saw the field for only one snap until we were down by 21 points. Why? It's mind boggling. My belief is Fisher is trying to justify taking a tiny WR so early in the draft.

We have no good Corners. Jenkins gambles too much. Gaines is a rookie, but has looked great on some plays while looking absolutely lost on others. He's like a career third CB. Our safeties can hit, but miss as many tackles as they make. Our defensive line, for being so talent rich, is vastly underperforming. Jake Long looks like he's at the end of the line at Left Tackle and Wells has been done for years. Brockers was drafted too high and Laurinitis is the most overrated MLB in all of football. He makes one nice play each week, then gets totally run over in the running game on 6 other plays. This season we're using more blitz packages. WHY?! All that does is leave our weak Corners in man coverage and we're being exploited by even the most average of QB's.

Sadly, the future isn't looking too bright. The fans here are giving up. A decade without a winning season will do that to you. Fisher did a radio interview earlier this season. In it, he stated the 49'ers, Seahawks and Cardinals had some tough decisions to make with their team due to the salary cap and the Rams would catch up to them because of this. Really??? That's the plan? Wait for the other teams to get old, or have to purge players, then hope you can compete? WTF kind of logic is that? I mean, let's not draft well, or bring in any free agents because sooner or later those other three teams will fall off?! When your HC says crap like that, you know he doesn't even believe his team can win.

As a Rams fan, sometimes you want to pretend you are Cartman from South Park. You want to stand up in your seat and scream "Why are you focking me Coach?!!!"

End of Rant.

Rant? Those were all excellent takes. When people on this bored ask for homer analysis, it's these type of posts that are sought out. Not the flotsam and jetsam many drive by clowns in here throw up against the wall.

Here's a discussion for you... Have always been a big Jeff Fisher guy, but have wondered why they are bothering with Marty's Son as the guy is a disaster at OC. You're right, he ruined that Jets offense. This team has some good young talent, in fact I loved their draft this season. It's mind boggling they are not playing Robinson more. The Cowboys have shown just how much a power running game can cover for an otherwise deficient football team. I surely thought the Rams brain trust could read the writing on the wall once Bradford went down again. They committed to the run last season with success, dealing with the same mess at QB and less a #1 draft pick at offensive tackle. Robinson graded out number one at his position (at least in the run game), with reason.

I respected Fisher because he swore off the RBBC approach last season. I think teams that use cute little terms like 'hot hand' and 'change of pace' in the running game are treading water, at least when it comes to establishing a serious running game. An RB needs 18-20 carries to establish a rhythm, and the good ones get better as the games goes on, and as they see more carries. The Cowboys are overdoing it with Murray now, and they've admitted a need to scale his work back. But watch their offense, as opposed to passing 50 times a game a legitimate ground game has actually opened it up more. They run out of the shotgun, they run more pure draws, they're passing out of two TE sets, and the play action (a Romo strength) is down right lethal. Opposing defenses are reeling. Seattle had NO answer for Murray on that last TD drive Sunday. More importantly that running game is keeping the Cowboy defense on the sideline.

Right now the Rams defense is a train wreck. After having been a team strength they're last in the league in sacks, last in the league in run defense, and their CB's are chasing opposing WR's around like dalmatians chasing fire trucks. If ever there was a team that needed a power running game, it's the Rams. Question is, does Jeff Fisher think so?

• Like 2

Agree with the above. When you don't have much else going for the season the thing you should be able to count on is playing the guys with the most talent. Robinson might be raw but he's a focking road grader who should be run blocking for Mason who is also raw yet very talented.

I think Davis has shown something and if put in position to make plays WITH the team rather than be expected to win the game with only his arm he could turn into a serviceable QB.

Fisher seems to almost be playing for next season. Putting in Mason, when he swore he would not do it, along with finally throwing in Robinson, committing to Davis.... He has Gaines starting at Corner.... It's almost like he is trying to see what he has for next season already. As a fan, that sucks. We've done this for years. Get off to a rough start, start planning on the next season.

Fisher made it VERY clear he's not a rbbc guy. He swore up and down Stacey was his guy and he would run him into the ground. Cunningham is a bit quicker and may be a better receiver, but he lacks vision. He has missed some holes Trent Richardson may have seen. Stacey hits the hole, but he's not really quick, just powerful. Mason could be the ideal back for us, but he may also get Davis slammed a few times. Stacey is a pretty good pass blocker.

I'll agree Fisher has it tough right now. There are a lot of questions about the team, but it's a result of his decisions. He kept Schottenheimer when the entire City wanted him gone. He brought in a blitzing Defensive Coordinator when we did great last season only rushing our front four. We don't have the CB's or Safeties he had in TN. The blitzes will not work here. Not yet anyway. What I don't like about him is the "need" to make the calls on the draft and the players. Our GM, Les Snead, was only brought in as a guy who would totally defer to Fisher. Our drafts have been average. Nothing truly awful, but the guys he's drafted have not fit our scheme. Austin was drafted with the idea of running 3 WR sets. Then we switched to the power run game, but had a pass blocking offensive line. Now we're in the middle. A supposed run first team with only two good run blockers and a gun slinger guy at QB. I like Davis a lot. The pick he threw last night was him just trying to make a play after we were already out of it. The kid has moxy and is definitely a leader. He needs more help though. Even with Robinson, our line is still a train wreck. Davis has to roll out of, or move out of the pocket on nearly every play. When he starts to move around, watch and you will see Tavon Austin stop running, Jared Cook start walking, and Davis is let to try and throw it up high for Quick or Britt. It's a shame really. The guys with talent aren't playing like it. While I was a huge Fisher fan three years ago, I blame most of this on him. He drafted these guys. He signed Cook in free agency. He didn't want to back up Bradford so Bradford wouldn't feel any unnecessary pressure. I fully understand we are in the toughest division in football, yet you can't simply sit back and hope for the other teams to fall off. That's just wrong. Even above average drafts would make a difference..... These ho-hum drafts have to stop though. I did like last season's draft, but it's too early to grade them. Brockers, Jenkins, Pead, Stacey and several others all looked like straight up steals a year after they were drafted. Two years after? Not so much.

• Like 1

Bunch of good thoughts in the last several posts - and that's good, because it counters the useless 'neener, neener' flatulence which is utterly unproductive from the usual suspects.

I haven't seen much productive commentary from those types; they're the kind that ruin open sharing of thoughts and ideas and arguments, even if they turn out to be incorrect. WTF, clowns? Are you trying to suppress a free exchange of ideas - ideas from which you may actually glean the occasional kernel of great insight/inside information? Do you WANT people to be afraid to share their hunches and opinions, particularly when they're well thought out and backed with some solid argument and data?

Or do you want to continue to be small minded dweebs who pull the wings off flies well into your 40s? :puke:

• Like 2

Bunch of good thoughts in the last several posts - and that's good, because it counters the useless 'neener, neener' flatulence which is utterly unproductive from the usual suspects.

I haven't seen much productive commentary from those types; they're the kind that ruin open sharing of thoughts and ideas and arguments, even if they turn out to be incorrect. WTF, clowns? Are you trying to suppress a free exchange of ideas - ideas from which you may actually glean the occasional kernel of great insight/inside information? Do you WANT people to be afraid to share their hunches and opinions, particularly when they're well thought out and backed with some solid argument and data?

Or do you want to continue to be small minded dweebs who pull the wings off flies well into your 40s? :puke:

"Flies well into your 40s..." wow you are lame. :sleep:

Was just offered Stacy and Flacco for Ellington and Cooks. :rolleyes:

As for the OP....hang in there man. We all make some bad calls from time to time. Hell, I'm on here every week defending Lacy. :wall:

Great takes above, especially about Fisher's attitude towards RBBC.

I do remember around this time last year, Daryl Richardson was their starter, was struggling, Pead and Cunningham, were mixing in, until finally going into a game it was unclear who was going to start. Stacy was activated, started, and had a nice season. I got the feeling Monday night the same thing might be happening. The thing holding Mason back may be his ability to be used in the passing game, but he seems like the best long term hold and a better WW target than Bolden or Storm Johnson.

have no problem coming in here and admitting I was wrong. Not only did the Rams not re-commit to the run like I hoped, but Stacy did not appear 100% to me. He had nothing tonight, he had not looked this bad all year. Droppable player with how they are running their offense. no longer a power run team but instead a drop back and get sacked/fling it to nobody team. Must be playing for a top draft pick...but it shouldn't be fisher making the pick. too bad. I enjoyed watching Stacy play last season.

We are all wrong in fantasy at times. Your analysis was fine. I watched the game and Stacy looks hurt. He showed no burst. He should not have been played. He's wounded. The tape won't lie. Fisher needs to shelve him a couple weeks because he looked about 50%.

• Like 1