Sign in to follow this  
Magnificent Bastard

Stock market

I'm starting to get the feeling it's time to pull out for a while. Too much stuff going on in the world. Then again, I have no idea, and neither do you

Tough to time the market. It's nearly an possible task to get it right over time but the allure is always there

I'm starting to get the feeling it's time to pull out for a while.

Couldn't agree more. I'm seeing a free fall of 1500 to 2000 pts over the next 3 months.

Couldn't agree more. I'm seeing a free fall of 1500 to 2000 pts over the next 3 months.

Did they teach you that at grease monkey school? :banana:

Did they teach you that at grease monkey school? :banana:

Well...yea, kinda :ninja:

I took a bunch of money out of the market about two months ago. Of course, I was six weeks too early with that call. Better that than six weeks late I suppose.

Paying 27-45% of my gains in taxes inevitably keeps me from trying the investus interruptus. I usually just wait it out and buy some more shares on the cheap when I guess we near the bottom. Worked really well in 2009 and previous corrections. The key is to make sure your investment thesis remains valid and that you only buy strong companies with a competitive advantage, a strong moat and bigtime, heavily-invested leadership.

Now, if I had a bunch of managed mutual funds or index funds, I would consider dumping those if I expect the correction to be deep and prolonged.

Paying 27-45% of my gains in taxes inevitably keeps me from trying the investus interruptus. I usually just wait it out and buy some more shares on the cheap when I guess we near the bottom. Worked really well in 2009 and previous corrections. The key is to make sure your investment thesis remains valid and that you only buy strong companies with a competitive advantage, a strong moat and bigtime, heavily-invested leadership.

Now, if I had a bunch of managed mutual funds or index funds, I would consider dumping those if I expect the correction to be deep and prolonged.

The Capital Gains Tax is 15%.

The beginning of the crash began last week on October 7th.

That was the first time it dipped under the 200 day moving average. Normally, not a great sign.

The market is always a crap shoot to predict though.

The Capital Gains Tax is 15%.

Long-term is 20% for me and short-term is ordinary income rate (39.6%). Plus state taxes. My numbers are correct.

Long-term is 20% for me and short-term is ordinary income rate (39.6%). Plus state taxes. My numbers are correct.

Yup, I just didn't figure someone with an adjusted taxable income of over $400,000 would be posting on this crappy little board.

The beginning of the crash began last week on October 7th.

Exaggerate much?

There has been a dip yes ... and it likely dips to around 15 till it bounces back and regulates... Unles Obummer stopped the money printing presses from going non stop there will be no crash.

Lost 7k in my 401k. Kind of annoyed since i have been busy and usually adjust quicker. But i have no clue how to really read the market, i just usually am able to switch to guaranteed in time. Oh well 7k is better than 14k.

Mitt Romney was paying 13% and he makes a whole helluva lot more than you. Maybe it's time to fire your accountant?

Mitt Romney was paying 13% and he makes a whole helluva lot more than you. Maybe it's time to fire your accountant?

And how much was that 13% he paid in comparison - I love how you leftists nut jobs ... same as the righty wacko's throw out whatever number or stat supports your agenda and ingnore the complete picture..

always a good strategy to play off global crisis, disasters.....

if you bought makers of hazmat suits about 2 weeks ago, you could have made 300% in a few weeks (LAKE).

any company you feel strongly about, hold for more than a year unless you want to pay short term capital gains. sometimes you have no choice... for example I would have loved to hold fannie mae for more than a year but had to get out before a semi crash back in march. I'll pay a nice tax on that.

you can always take some losses to offset your gains if you feel like you made an investment that just isn't going to come back. I could be wrong but I think its better to claim those losses to offset other gains and lower your capital gains tax than it is to simply claim the losses and and use it to lower your taxable income which is max $3,000 i believe. offsetting the capital gains should have a more positive impact on your tax return.

as far as pulling out of the market completely.... unless you're dealing with a stock that is tied to other factors like the ones I listed above (LAKE, FNMA).... i would probably agree. We hit record highs. there is bound to be at least a slight crash back to reality.

And how much was that 13% he paid in comparison - I love how you leftists nut jobs ... same as the righty wacko's throw out whatever number or stat supports your agenda and ingnore the complete picture..

You are only 28.5% correct as 99.989993432% of people disagree. I make $1 trillion a year and my dlck is closer to 20" than 19"

I'm not in the market. I'm in bonds, CDs. I am waiting for the next huge crash and then I'm all in.

What? :blink:

I'm not in the market. I'm in bonds, CDs. I am waiting for the next huge crash and then I'm all in.

Bonds, yes

Cds? :D.... better off with a fixed annuity

Bonds, yes

Cds? :D.... better off with a fixed annuity

CDs are an emergency fund.

I don't pay anywhere near 39.6% overall, but any stock sales are directly additive to my bottom line, so they accrete at roughly the marginal rate. Unfortunately, I don't have the massive top end shelters (like beneficial trusts, foundations, etc) that allow a monster earner like Mitt to pay so little.

Mitt Romney donated tens of millions of dollars to charity. People like to ignore that fact.

How's that chip on your shoulder doing?

Mitt Romney donated tens of millions of dollars to charity. People like to ignore that fact.

How's that chip on your shoulder doing?

I ate it, with some guacamole. Yum! :wub:

CDs are an emergency fund.

Why have an emergency fund with a penalty for withdrawal? You have to lock for 5 years to earn even a palatable interest rate, at which point you're better off with an annuity.

If you want a liquid emergency fund, you can find promotional money market rates that are generally higher than a 5 year CD and simply rate shop the account. Every time a promotion ends, move on the the next promotion at another institution.

And if it's FDIC coverage you're worried about, annuities are backed by insurance companies similar to FDIC backing.... plus, FDIC will be of no actual use to you in the event it's actually needed, which no one ever understands

Why have an emergency fund with a penalty for withdrawal? You have to lock for 5 years to earn even a palatable interest rate, at which point you're better off with an annuity.

If you want a liquid emergency fund, you can find promotional money market rates that are generally higher than a 5 year CD and simply rate shop the account. Every time a promotion ends, move on the the next promotion at another institution.

And if it's FDIC coverage you're worried about, annuities are backed by insurance companies similar to FDIC backing.... plus, FDIC will be of no actual use to you in the event it's actually needed, which no one ever understands

I've looked. I only do CDs of 6 months, 1 year, or currently 2 year that is due soon. 1 % interest rate. The penalty for the CD I use with the specific Credit Union I use is VERY minimal and I've done it before to get money to put toward a car.

I've looked. I only do CDs of 6 months, 1 year, or currently 2 year that is due soon. 1 % interest rate. The penalty for the CD I use with the specific Credit Union I use is VERY minimal and I've done it before to get money to put toward a car.

I've had $5,500 worth of emergencies in the last year and just use money out of my checking account which is now low.

I've had $5,500 worth of emergencies in the last year and just use money out of my checking account which is now low.

Even if the penalty is minimal, I would look into promotional money markets. Banks all over are offering them in today's rate climate to stay competitive. Keeps the money truely liquid.

Even if the penalty is minimal, I would look into promotional money markets. Banks all over are offering them in today's rate climate to stay competitive. Keeps the money truely liquid.

Like I said I've already looked. I don't want stipulations that I have to use a debit card a certain number of times every month. Plus, the last time I had a Money Market, I couldn't get my money when I wanted it because the bank would lock the account after a certain amount of time of inactivity. So they're not that liquid. And I don't want easy access to that money anyway. I want it to remain saved and earning interest. CDs is the answer for me.

Like I said I've already looked. I don't want stipulations that I have to use a debit card a certain number of times every month. Plus, the last time I had a Money Market, I couldn't get my money when I wanted it because the bank would lock the account after a certain amount of time of inactivity. So they're not that liquid. And I don't want easy access to that money anyway. I want it to remain saved and earning interest. CDs is the answer for me.

Well you're looking at the wrong banks I think. If Cds work for you that's great just saying the interest on them sucks and you're money isn't liquid.

I've never known a bank to lock an account after a certain time of inactivity. They may place the acco8nt in dormant status but that doesn't mean anything.

If you don't touch a CD for too long [meaning continually rolling over without contact] the state can take your money and you'll have to go through a whole claims process.. at least in NJ

Well you're looking at the wrong banks I think. If Cds work for you that's great just saying the interest on them sucks and you're money isn't liquid.

I've never known a bank to lock an account after a certain time of inactivity. They may place the acco8nt in dormant status but that doesn't mean anything.

If you don't touch a CD for too long [meaning continually rolling over without contact] the state can take your money and you'll have to go through a whole claims process.. at least in NJ

Dormant maybe then. Still, I have to go into the bank to get it active again if I want money out of it. I always negotiate a better CD rate after comparison shopping and always get it. I took out $20,000 of a CD and the penalty was only like $100 or about that, maybe less. Can't remember for sure.

Fed seems to be insinuating it won't pull the reigns in until '16... You know they will be pumping through election season. Just follow interest rates and the yield curve.

You must be cautious around here, there are sycophant's around here who get butthurt when you call the market accurately......