Sign in to follow this  
rsmnutt

Adrian Peterson - Agrees To Plea Deal

I'm speculating just like everyone else.....but I'm not so concerned with what the league will do....from what I understand, further punishment would be above and beyond the CBA.

I think the holdup will be from the Vikings...and the image hit it may take.

But....I like turtles.

True this is only Part 1 of the equation.

Ah.............I appear to have guessed correctly.

This guy is going to stew for this week and late next week they'll let Peterson know he gets at least 4 additional games suspended. He MAY be back for Week 15 or 16.

Bank on it............

this is exactly right. Goddell is determined to keep AP off the field, and Minn is likely quietly happy to let Goddell drag this out.

Look for a lot of obfuscation and delays from the NFL over next couple weeks, then a modest suspension that will end right as the season is basically over.

Count on it. NFL is determined to win on this one.

I think you guys are likely right.

And I also think AP & the NFLPA will then sue Rog immediately.

what do you guys think will happen to roger if he perjured himself in the rice case?

Really hard to tell.

Rog could ball up, get defensive and slam AP to defend himself.

-Or- He could finally get the picture after this and Bountygate that he is not beyond reproach, he is not beyond reach of the courts, and he will let AP go about returning to the field.

In short Rog is absolutely full of shiite and it is becoming abundantly clear to everyone that he has zero credibility.

I think you guys are likely right.

And I also think AP & the NFLPA will then sue Rog immediately.

Sue him for what though?

He got paid and wasn't punished. Being on that exempt list let him remain 'whole' I.e. lose no money. He can try and argue that other players were treated different but what other player had this charge against him.

Sh!t, the kid is still marked up and AP thinks he's going to focking play?!! He really is a dumba$$.

• Like 1

Here is a good take on what might happen to Goodell.

Here is a good take on what might happen to Goodell. ...

Gottalike the Vike Purp ensemble there...

I really can't stand Olberman, but if you get past the 35% of the rant that has nothing to do with Rice or AP and if you get past the msnbc sappy, patronizing tone (which he invented), he has the point down. Rog was caught lying and making sht up during bountygate, he's really been caught at it with Rice and it will likely happen again with the AP situation. The points are that Rog created this situation for himself and it's a bad one.

LEAVING the poor child out of it (if you can manage it...) as for fantasy football if the NFL kept its word AP would be playing next week. Personally I think Rog made a bargain with AP to have him on the exempt list only as long as the case was going on. It's clearly over. If Rog was dealing fairly and above board he would take AP off the exempt list and rule. But as it is Rog is caught up in multiple catch-22's he can't get out of and owners of AP may end up waiting forever for this to be resolved. It could take days or weeks.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nike-cuts-ties-nfl-peterson-050100166.html

Nike severs ties with Adrian Peterson after assault plea.

His supporters are getting fewer. He agreed to the plea to get back on the field quicker but it just cost him some more $$.

Apparently Viking fans want him back and so do the Vike players.

Nike doesn't sponsor Vike games. Radisson is the sponsor to watch, they do and they're the ones who put the kabash on AP playing week 2.

Gottalike the Vike Purp ensemble there...

I really can't stand Olberman, but if you get past the 35% of the rant that has nothing to do with Rice or AP and if you get past the msnbc sappy, patronizing tone (which he invented), he has the point down. Rog was caught lying and making sht up during bountygate, he's really been caught at it with Rice and it will likely happen again with the AP situation. The points are that Rog created this situation for himself and it's a bad one.

LEAVING the poor child out of it (if you can manage it...) as for fantasy football if the NFL kept its word AP would be playing next week. Personally I think Rog made a bargain with AP to have him on the exempt list only as long as the case was going on. It's clearly over. If Rog was dealing fairly and above board he would take AP off the exempt list and rule. But as it is Rog is caught up in multiple catch-22's he can't get out of and owners of AP may end up waiting forever for this to be resolved. It could take days or weeks.

rog really needs some discipline

I initially thought AP would not not see another snap this year. However, despite what I or the country thinks, the purple nation wants this guy back soon... Hell, the word is that the Team wants him back ASAP… I think he will be starting by week 12. The fact that he was cleared by the Judicial system gives Goddell some ammo to reinstate him. As stated earlier, the rub is what the sponsors are going to do...

When did the judicial system clear him? Last I saw he pleaded guilty and got punishment. Provide a link on him being cleared. He hasn't received his punishment by the NFL and they don't clear like you think some judge did. NFL doesn't tell a player to go clean up highway trash for 80 hours NFL tells a player he is trash and get off my field.

Something else to think about:

AD agreed to what was essentially a paid suspension, which took heat off the team and the league. I'd be willing to bet the vast, vast majority of players would rather be on the field than to sit at home and collect checks. AD even accelerated his court case, which gave the prosecution a lot of leverage, to give him the chance to play this year.

If the league doesn't take the missed games into account, what incentive does a player have to agree to sit out the next time a situation like this occurs?

I make crap at my job and would take being paid at home ain no millionaire wanting to take a helmet to the groin 20 times a day when he can whip a kid for the same pay. Majority? Ha!

The Rog let's this stew for another week or two, then hits AP with a 6 game ban. AP gets quietly released in the offseason to sign with Dallas after Jerra decides to pay Dez not Demarco. Boys go 8-8. :)

that brings up a good question: who would you rather have, demarco or ap?

Murray isn't a psychotic, 'roided up stat wh0re - ergo ... DeMarco >>>>>>>>> AsshatP

• Like 1

Since he was being paid I guess you could argue that he can;t get "time served" for the games he didnt play in.

I think he gets suspended for the rest of the year so that he can attend "anger counseling" and comes back next year.

The risk of letting him play is a lot higher than not letting him play. This is an easy choice. Peterson can no longer be the face if the NFL or any other franchise.

AD agreed to what was essentially a paid suspension, which took heat off the team and the league. I'd be willing to bet the vast, vast majority of players would rather be on the field than to sit at home and collect checks. AD even accelerated his court case, which gave the prosecution a lot of leverage, to give him the chance to play this year.

If the league doesn't take the missed games into account, what incentive does a player have to agree to sit out the next time a situation like this occurs?

AP didn't 'agree' to spend time away from the team. That's what the NFL and the Vikings came up with.

Players don't have a say in the punishment they receive and that exempt list just lets the NFL remove the PR nightmare while still letting the player get paid (protect the player as well as the NFL). There isn't a leg for the player to stand on if they try and sue because the player hasn't lost anything.

AP didn't 'agree' to spend time away from the team. That's what the NFL and the Vikings came up with.

Players don't have a say in the punishment they receive and that exempt list just lets the NFL remove the PR nightmare while still letting the player get paid (protect the player as well as the NFL). There isn't a leg for the player to stand on if they try and sue because the player hasn't lost anything.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/nflpa-signed-off-on-adrian-peterson-outcome/

Yeah, it's the NFLPA putting the best possible spin on things, but the exempt list isn't punishment, and has never been used in this situation before. It easily could have been challenged.

And the players can have a say in their punishment. The NFL has made plenty of deals for reduced suspensions. Is AD going to face punishment after this? Yes. But there are a lot of factors in play here.

The risk of letting him play is a lot higher than not letting him play. This is an easy choice. Peterson can no longer be the face if the NFL or any other franchise.

What is the risk of letting him play? If Vikes fans are ok with it, and if Vikes sponsors are ok with it, and if most of the public is ok with it, then what risk is the NFL facing?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/nflpa-signed-off-on-adrian-peterson-outcome/

Yeah, it's the NFLPA putting the best possible spin on things, but the exempt list isn't punishment, and has never been used in this situation before. It easily could have been challenged.

And the players can have a say in their punishment. The NFL has made plenty of deals for reduced suspensions. Is AD going to face punishment after this? Yes. But there are a lot of factors in play here.

“The NFLPA and NFL worked with Adrian and the Minnesota Vikings to resolve this unique situation. We support this decision and hope the best for him and his family.”

But there is also this:

In other words (and as a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT), the NFLPA believes the league has breached the agreement that Peterson will remain on the Commissioner-Exempt list pending resolution of his legal case.

The NFLPA is basically saying that Goodell lied and reneged on an agreement. The fact it was voluntary works both ways. If the NFL could have suspended AP then and there why didn't it? AP did the NFL a favor just as much as the NFL did him a favor.

First the NFL may not have had and may not still have an actual policy or rule they can suspend AP under. Secondly the NFL & Vikes wanted his story off the front page especially in the midst of the Rice imbroglio.

The NFLPA is going to sue on this of Rog does not deliver soon. He is going to be made to testify and the same thing that happened with Rice and Bountygate where Rog caught lying is going to happen again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

NFLPA demands Peterson reinstatement based on September letter agreement

“The player agrees that, effective as of yesterday (September 17, 2014), he is placed on the Commissioner-Exempt list with full pay until the criminal charges currently pending against him are adjudicated. No discipline will be processed or imposed against the player, by the Club or the League, until after the pending criminal charges are adjudicated.”

Or else what?

Strike? No.

The only thing they can do should the NFL not reinstate AP is sue them but for what? The guy has been getting paid.

Edit: I've included the last two sentences of that article which clearly spell out what's about to happen. He's going to be reinstated then immediately suspended for 4-6 games (2 games served might be the NFL's way of offering a Win for the NFLPA's work). IMO, Goddell should give him the 6 games off now and that mess will be gone until at least the playoffs if the Vikings make it.

• Like 1

“The player agrees that, effective as of yesterday (September 17, 2014), he is placed on the Commissioner-Exempt list with full pay until the criminal charges currently pending against him are adjudicated. No discipline will be processed or imposed against the player, by the Club or the League, until after the pending criminal charges are adjudicated.”

Or else what?

Strike? No.

The only thing they can do should the NFL not reinstate AP is sue them but for what? The guy has been getting paid.

Edit: I've included the last two sentences of that article which clearly spell out what's about to happen. He's going to be reinstated then immediately suspended for 4-6 games (2 games served might be the NFL's way of offering a Win for the NFLPA's work). IMO, Goddell should give him the 6 games off now and that mess will be gone until at least the playoffs if the Vikings make it.

Hold onto your hat, things are moving really fast and things could change several times over the next week. He could be out for the year, a few games, or he could play next week. There could be a grievance or suit over the letter, there could be a grievance or suit over the discipline, which could be anywhere from 1 to 6 games to indefinite, the NFL could reinstate him and then the Vikes because of their sponsors or internally deactivate him or cut him, who knows. Anything is possible right now.

Goodell has a serious credibility problem right now though. He has been called out for lying in bountygate, he has been called out for lying in the Rice situation, and now this letter develops in the AP case.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Adrian Peterson is facing a six-game suspension, but the NFL will likely consider a combination of time served and loss of pay as his punishment.

Rapoport expects a December return to the field for Peterson. The NFLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of Peterson, demanding immediate reinstatement based on an agreement in September when Peterson was placed on the Exempt List. So, this can still go a number of ways, with Peterson suiting up as soon as next Sunday if he wins the grievance. Vikings coaches reportedly are fully on board with Peterson returning to the team, but the front office is split.

looks like a december retrun for ap

Looks like 1+1=3 here. If the NFL considers Peterson's time off as time served, why is a December return expected? Goodell can't even count!

He didn't test positive for weed. He told a court official he smoked recently. He didn't take and fail a test.

i think it was medicinal treatment for his anger issues