Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Kentucky Wildcats vs Philadelphia 76ers

I hate kentucky

sixers by -40-

Well, in a rematch with the Dallas team that beat them by 53 last time around, the Sixers competed, losing by single digits after holding a lead in the 4th.

MCW with a triple double. KJ McDaniels with a double double and a career high in points scored. Noel with almost a double double. And some solid performances all around, especially from Shved and Sims.

Progress.

Well, in a rematch with the Dallas team that beat them by 53 last time around, the Sixers competed, losing by single digits after holding a lead in the 4th.

MCW with a triple double. KJ McDaniels with a double double and a career high in points scored. Noel with almost a double double. And some solid performances all around, especially from Shved and Sims.

Progress.

Do they really have a player other than MCW, Noel, and Embiid (when healthy) ? I get tanking to end up with a better team for the long run ... but Philly had a better team this time last year!!!

Not only do I think UK wins I don't think UK is the ONLY college team that would beat Philly as IMO Duke beats them as well n Maybe Wisconsin.

Do they really have a player other than MCW, Noel, and Embiid (when healthy) ? I get tanking to end up with a better team for the long run ... but Philly had a better team this time last year!!!

Not only do I think UK wins I don't think UK is the ONLY college team that would beat Philly as IMO Duke beats them as well n Maybe Wisconsin.

They had a better record last year because they didn't dump Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes until the trade deadline, they traded their last talented veteran player in Thaddeus Young this off season.

Aside from Michael Carter-Williams and Nerlens Noel, it's expected that Embiid and Saric will be key players in the near future, and maybe some of their overseas players that are perfoming pretty well right now. Current NBA quality players on the roster, Tony Wroten is the team's leading scorer and is the other half of a two point guard starting lineup. KJ McDaniels was the first pick in the 2nd round of the draft and is in the mix for Rookie of the Year right now. Henry Sims is starting in the front court and can be a decent guy off the bench in the future. So, I'd say there are 5 players right now that are expected to be around for a while of the current roster, and the rest of the roster is an experiment.

http://www.libertyballers.com/the-liberty-beat/2014/12/1/7313397/76ers-draft-pick-dario-saric-wins-euroleague-mvp-for-the-month-of

Dario Saric, selected by the 76ers with the 12th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, won the Euroleague's MVP award for November, averaging 15.5 points and 7.75 rebounds.

Dario Saric, a 6'10" forward taken by the 76ers with the 12th pick of the 2014 NBA draft, has been awarded the Euroleague's MVP award for the month of November. At only 20 years and 7 months of age Saric is the youngest player to win a Euroleague monthly MVP award in the awards 11 year history.

Nikola Mirotic, currently playing 17 minutes per night in his rookie season with the Chicago Bulls, was previously the youngest to win the award when he won it at 20 years, 10 months of age in December 2011. Saric, a native of Croatia who is playing in his first season with Anadolu Efes in Turkey, averaged 15.5 points and 7.75 rebounds in the month of November, shooting 61% from two point range on the month. In his most recent Euroleague game, against Dinamo Banco di Sardegna Sassari, Saric scored 18 points in 27 minutes, shooting 6-10 from the field while collecting 11 rebounds and dishing out 3 assists.

Saric signed a contract just before the NBA draft that will keep him over in Turkey for at least two seasons. Despite playing in Europe, the Sixers still control Saric's NBA rights. If Saric comes over before 3 years, he will be bound by the NBA's rookie scale for his first contract. If he stays in Europe for 3 years or more he can negotiate outside of that rookie scale contract, but his NBA rights are still exclusively held by the Sixers.

http://www.libertyballers.com/the-liberty-beat/2014/12/1/7313397/76ers-draft-pick-dario-saric-wins-euroleague-mvp-for-the-month-of

Dario Saric, selected by the 76ers with the 12th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, won the Euroleague's MVP award for November, averaging 15.5 points and 7.75 rebounds.

Dario Saric, a 6'10" forward taken by the 76ers with the 12th pick of the 2014 NBA draft, has been awarded the Euroleague's MVP award for the month of November. At only 20 years and 7 months of age Saric is the youngest player to win a Euroleague monthly MVP award in the awards 11 year history.

Nikola Mirotic, currently playing 17 minutes per night in his rookie season with the Chicago Bulls, was previously the youngest to win the award when he won it at 20 years, 10 months of age in December 2011. Saric, a native of Croatia who is playing in his first season with Anadolu Efes in Turkey, averaged 15.5 points and 7.75 rebounds in the month of November, shooting 61% from two point range on the month. In his most recent Euroleague game, against Dinamo Banco di Sardegna Sassari, Saric scored 18 points in 27 minutes, shooting 6-10 from the field while collecting 11 rebounds and dishing out 3 assists.

Saric signed a contract just before the NBA draft that will keep him over in Turkey for at least two seasons. Despite playing in Europe, the Sixers still control Saric's NBA rights. If Saric comes over before 3 years, he will be bound by the NBA's rookie scale for his first contract. If he stays in Europe for 3 years or more he can negotiate outside of that rookie scale contract, but his NBA rights are still exclusively held by the Sixers.

Interesting info about the contracts. Seems like he is better off staying in Europe a third season so he can get a large, speculative NBA contract.

There's not a player on the roster that would play significant minutes for a playoff team aside from possibly a 6-8 seed. MCW has proven only that, given the ball and free reign on a team with no options, he can generate stats. Still can't shoot. A poor man's Deron Williams at this point.

Noel is getting worked by anybody willing to put "power" in front of "forward". He's 20+ lb underweight and has a very limited offensive game.

Embiid hasn't shown that, as a 19 year old, he can get through a college season healthy.

McDaniel is a nice looking young player, and was smart not to sign their lousy rookie deal. He'll be a restricted FA at the end of the year so their notoriously cheap front office will have to match whatever he's offered.

That's pretty much the best they have.

But hey, Tony Kukoc is only 3 years away!

They are a very good bet to cover the spread until they win, just statistically speaking.

It seems like they play hard almost every night, Spurs on won by 6 and they have played other contenders tightly. I like Philly more than NYK, at least Philly KNOWS they're bad and are trying to build from scratch.

They are a very good bet to cover the spread until they win, just statistically speaking.

It seems like they play hard almost every night, Spurs on won by 6 and they have played other contenders tightly. I like Philly more than NYK, at least Philly KNOWS they're bad and are trying to build from scratch.

Spurs went without Duncan and Parker and Ginobili played about a quarter.

They're a tough team to bet on/against, especially against bad teams, because of the way Pop will sit players.

Spurs went without Duncan and Parker and Ginobili played about a quarter.

They're a tough team to bet on/against, especially against bad teams, because of the way Pop will sit players.

Sixers didn't have Wroten or Noel due to injuries as well.

You could see how badly the Sixers needed Noel's presence in the lane all game long. He might not get as many rebounds as one would like, but he alters an ass load of shots every time he's in the lane. He's got a shot blockers instinct.

I'm starting to watch more and more of the Sixers games, probably for the first time since the run to the Finals with Iverson and Larry Brown. God help me.

Sixers didn't have Wroten or Noel due to injuries as well.

You could see how badly the Sixers needed Noel's presence in the lane all game long. He might not get as many rebounds as one would like, but he alters an ass load of shots every time he's in the lane. He's got a shot blockers instinct.

I'm starting to watch more and more of the Sixers games, probably for the first time since the run to the Finals with Iverson and Larry Brown. God help me.

IMO Wroten is just MCW Lite; a guy who if he has the ball all night and no other options can post stats. So pretty much every guard in the NBA. I'm just not that impressed with either. Now, if they were my 6-7th man I'd have a different perspective.

I just can't get in line with Noel. The shot blocking/threat is great, but I don't know that it off sets the ways a good team would have to hide him in order to keep him on the floor .

IMO Wroten is just MCW Lite; a guy who if he has the ball all night and no other options can post stats. So pretty much every guard in the NBA. I'm just not that impressed with either. Now, if they were my 6-7th man I'd have a different perspective.

I just can't get in line with Noel. The shot blocking/threat is great, but I don't know that it off sets the ways a good team would have to hide him in order to keep him on the floor .

Wroten is a guy that fits the role of first guard off the bench, so you have him pegged. He can be a bit out of control at times, and turn it over. But he's got inconsistent talent, which is good since there is talent there to be harnessed. MCW just doesn't have anybody around him to work with. He is very good at many different skills. His shot still needs some work. But it's still early in his second year and I think he has a lot of room to grow and improve. He can score by shooting or driving, good rebounder, good vision, good defense. Both Wroten and MCW are good at driving into the paint.

Noel is probably going to play at power forward. Embiid is a natural center, a potential franchise player, could become a top 3 center in the league talent. I think the Sixers got a steal with Embiid, as long as he is healthy. Modern surgery and medicine has improved so much, I think he can. Noel needs to bulk up and learn how to rebound better. His offensive skills are markedly improved from what his draft resume and workouts indicated. He's an opportunistic scorer, but he has some offensive moves already. He's not going to be a franchise savior, but he can be a very good starter on a playoff team based on what I'm seeing so early in his career, coming off a missing a full year to boot. He's a very good athlete for his size, just a bit raw. I think the Sixers staff have good teachers that can develop these young guys.

Wroten is a guy that fits the role of first guard off the bench, so you have him pegged. He can be a bit out of control at times, and turn it over. But he's got inconsistent talent, which is good since there is talent there to be harnessed. MCW just doesn't have anybody around him to work with. He is very good at many different skills. His shot still needs some work. But it's still early in his second year and I think he has a lot of room to grow and improve. He can score by shooting or driving, good rebounder, good vision, good defense. Both Wroten and MCW are good at driving into the paint.

Noel is probably going to play at power forward. Embiid is a natural center, a potential franchise player, could become a top 3 center in the league talent. I think the Sixers got a steal with Embiid, as long as he is healthy. Modern surgery and medicine has improved so much, I think he can. Noel needs to bulk up and learn how to rebound better. His offensive skills are markedly improved from what his draft resume and workouts indicated. He's an opportunistic scorer, but he has some offensive moves already. He's not going to be a franchise savior, but he can be a very good starter on a playoff team based on what I'm seeing so early in his career, coming off a missing a full year to boot. He's a very good athlete for his size, just a bit raw. I think the Sixers staff have good teachers that can develop these young guys.

Hope you're right. 40+ years a fan and I can't get behind what they're doing. I'll be happy if proven wrong.

I won't be shocked at all if the Sixers end up drafting Mudaiy (sp?) or Okafor and dealing MCW / Noel for pics. They should be markedly improved next year just by adding Embiid and what's certain to be a to pick in the draft. Of course "markedly improved" for this team could be 30 wins.

Results on Hinkie won't be in until next season or the year after. At that point if one of Noel / Embiid / next year's first doesn't look like a franchise anchor even the most patient fans are going to run him out if town.

i don't care if he's scoring 40 PPG, if he's not playing for the 76ers, it's currently a waste.

at Minnesota Wednesday night, a chance at the record.

i hope they lose because i want the record.

i don't care if he's scoring 40 PPG, if he's not playing for the 76ers, it's currently a waste.

at Minnesota Wednesday night, a chance at the record.

i hope they lose because i want the record.

When he comes over in 3 years (he'd be a fool to do so earlier), they'll be trying to sell people on the notion that he's the piece to build around. All the other pieces to build around will be gone or proven to be nothing special.

76's, no sense of history, I thought we were all in fellas!!!

C'mon! Think about the children!

If the Sixers beat the shorthanded Thunder tonight, they will have winning streak.

Make it so.

Phillybear and I finally at long last found a common interest.

When he comes over in 3 years (he'd be a fool to do so earlier), they'll be trying to sell people on the notion that he's the piece to build around. All the other pieces to build around will be gone or proven to be nothing special.

If anyone on this roster or under contract is the piece to build around it will be Embiid or next years first pick, not Saric, MCW or Noel.

Phillybear and I finally at long last found a common interest.

I feel unclean. :(

Sixers battled, after falling behind by 20, cut it to 7, and just couldn't hit some key shots down the stretch. They covered. Westbrook really got physical with MCW, but the kid did OK in fighting, getting 16 and 14 dimes and 7 boards. MCW is dropping 10+ assists consistently right now, so that's impressive. Noel with a quiet double double. McDaniels was OK. Robert Covington is becoming somebody to watch, as he is quickly becoming a legitimate 3pt threat and is putting up some offensive numbers; he might be a keeper. Once Wroten comes back and Furkan gets into the front court rotation, this team should be able to accumulate some wins over other shitty teams. Because they hustle. Against the elite teams, not so much.

If anyone on this roster or under contract is the piece to build around it will be Embiid or next years first pick, not Saric, MCW or Noel.

MCW, Noel, and McDaniels are pieces/assets to the puzzle. Embiid is a potential franchise player. The others, you have to figure out if they are complimentary or you deal them for more assets. I was a huge fan of how Carroll and Schneider tore down their roster, shuffled players at a crazy pace, and rebuilt. In the NBA, it takes a little bit longer, as you only get so many draft picks, but I like the way the Sixers are doing this.

Thus far, Hinkie has grabbed MCW in the middle of the first, got Noel at #6 and Saric and eventually a first round pick for Holliday, plucked KJ McDaniels in the 2nd...I have no reason to doubt Hinkie's draft skills and his ability in the art of the deal.

Just saying, nobody currently playing basketball for the Sixers is a cornerstone piece. I think Noel / MCW could develop into the 2-3rd best player on a championship caliber team. I also think they could be dealt for more assets or to make room for Okafor / Mudiay if the chips fall that way in the draft.

We have a lot of guys who could be good complementary, role or bench players but go-to scorer, a dearth of shooters and no post player plus a real thin bench. This is a bad bad team with needs everywhere.

Looks like the Celtics traded Rondo to Dallas for what will amount to a bunch of junk and a low first rounder. This is a year after dealing multiple HOFs for nothing but dreck.

Celtics fans can stop accusing anyone else of tanking now.:rolleyes:

Looks like the Celtics traded Rondo to Dallas for what will amount to a bunch of junk and a low first rounder. This is a year after dealing multiple HOFs for nothing but dreck.

Celtics fans can stop accusing anyone else of tanking now.:rolleyes:

they won

Don't look now but ... Sixers have won 2 in a row and 3 of 4. :o

This is a bad team, but it's a bad team that's starting to find a few pieces (MCW, Covington, McDaniels etc) who can play.

RMFF! Guess creeper didn't like getting smacked in the other thread. :lol:

Robert Covington is becoming somebody to watch, as he is quickly becoming a legitimate 3pt threat and is putting up some offensive numbers; he might be a keeper. Once Wroten comes back and Furkan gets into the front court rotation, this team should be able to accumulate some wins over other shitty teams. Because they hustle. Against the elite teams, not so much.

This is a smart man.

Beat the short handed Pelicans by 15 in a game they never trailed. 17 points 11 boards 5 blocks for Noel. That's 4-3 in their last 7. :thumbsup:

As bad as Philly is they would destroy a team like KY. 19 year olds who can't shoot aren't a good combination when playing grown men.

Another W - that's 4-3 in their last 7. Bad team for sure. Playing much better ball over the past month or so and some of the young kids are really coming on. :thumbsup:

Well, the trade deadline happened.

Sixers give Cenk Anyol (who?)
Sixers get protected 1st round pick(OKC), JaVale McGee, Chu Chu Maduabum (who?)

Outstanding deal. Eating McGee's contract for a year and a half, you get a starting center for the rest of the season and a mid first round pick this year or next year. Sixers absorb McGee and are still below salary floor. If McGee gets and stays healthy, trade him next year.
Grade: A+++

Sixers give Michael Carter-Williams
Sixers get protected 1st round pick(LAL)

If you were going to deal MCW, it was now or never. Because the value taking back is pretty impressive. MCW is an all around good player, but he can't shoot. Neither jumpers nor free throwns. He's practically cross-eyed. The decision was made that he wasn't going to be their PG of the future, so they got out of the MCW business with a potentially outstanding return. As much as I liked the guy, truthfully, almost any point guard this year for the SIxers has played as well or better than MCW. Wroten, Sampson, Frazier. Each has been able to run the offense. The team didn't miss much. Considering the Sixers have 9 1st round picks coming in the next 6 drafts, and a billion 2nd rounders, the PG will be found. Potentially, the Sixers could have 9 picks in this next draft, 4 1sts and 5 2nds.
Grade: B

Sixers give KJ McDaniels
Sixers get Isaiah Canaan and 2nd round pick

Reality is that KJ McDaniels started off the season hot and was the best small forward on the team. Now, his play has been inconsistent at best and we running #3 at small forward, behind Robert Covington and Jerami Grant. McDaniels shooting had cooled off after a torrid start, although he was still productive blocking shots and playing defense in general; he is a stat sheet stuffer. Of the three player, McDaniels had the most detrimental contract, as he would be a RFA this year, while Covington and Grant are locked into inexpensive 4 year deals, both in their first year. If McDaniels isn't going to play as much, how can you showcase him to trade him? You get back the 2nd you spent on KJ, and pick up your starting point guard for the rest of this season. Canaan is a good outside shooter and filled pretty well in the few games he started this year. He's worth a look. If somebody offered McDaniel an offer sheet for his athleticism this off season, you could lose him for nothing.
Grade: B-

So, the Sixers as of now have between 7 and 9 picks in the upcoming draft, with 2 first round picks, the Sixers and very likely Miami's (protected 1-10). The core remains Noel, Embiid, Saric, and any picks that pan out. Losing MCW is a setback this near but not for the rebuild overall. KJ McDaniel has potential which another team will have to figure out. It was an interesting day, a busy day. Overall, the Sixers add more chances to find another franchise player or two. Just need to pick wisely.

As bad as Philly is they would destroy a team like KY. 19 year olds who can't shoot aren't a good combination when playing grown men.

Heres a tip UK can shoot alot better than people might think. Booker might be the best shooter in the NCAA right now if not top 10 at least as a freshman. Add Aaron Harrison maybe the most clutch shooter in a long time and we are actually a pretty decent "shooting team" . While I would take Philly in a 10 game series UK would win at least 3 games. BY all means continue to hate UK -- year after year we have the #1 or at least #2 recruiting class and go to the final 4 ....... 3 of the last 4 years ......................... soon to be 4 of last 5 years. I love it that everyone hates us again -- once finally shedded Tubby Smith and after a bad choice we found a worthy coach - now UK continues it's assault on college BBall

Beat the short handed Pelicans by 15 in a game they never trailed. 17 points 11 boards 5 blocks for Noel. That's 4-3 in their last 7. :thumbsup:

Noel should be in his redshirt sophmore year at UK right now

Love the school, never had an issue with the fans either (unlike those dook DB's), but I doubt there is a person more sleazy and corrupt than Calipari (only Bellichick comes close)