Sign in to follow this  
edjr

8 step travel. NBA sucks

It looked like 5 steps. Regardless, did it get called?

no

I see no travel. :dunno:

It depends on if you count all those little wind-up steps he took while picking up his dribble. If not then it was three really big steps.

Let's see. Roughly 600 games played this season, roughly 180 possessions per game, so about 108,000 possessions.

But this is the one that's representative of all the others. ;)

They NEVER call a travel on breakaway dunks Scottie Pippen used to do this same thing in the day - catch and take like 5 -7 steps then dunk -- NEVER called.

They NEVER call a travel on breakaway dunks Scottie Pippen used to do this same thing in the day - catch and take like 5 -7 steps then dunk -- NEVER called.

Which, honestly, who cares? It's when they take 7 or 8 steps knifing through the defense that it pisses me off.

Which, honestly, who cares? It's when they take 7 or 8 steps knifing through the defense that it pisses me off.

You ever watch Pat Ewing back in the day -- he would take 5 steps on almost every shot.

Yeah, not a fan of the 'Euro Step' either.

Basically I think the definition of traveling is anything that looks awkward. Like coming to a stop and then taking a big step while still holding the ball. As long as it's "in the flow" of a clear objective, it'll rarely be called.

:thumbsup:

At practice last week some of my 8th grade girls were showing me their "Euro step". I told them "Around here we call that 'a travel'." :nono:

:thumbsup:

At practice last week some of my 8th grade girls were showing me their "Euro step". I told them "Around here we call that 'a travel'." :nono:

It's the same when the argument comes from younguns that "those old time guys couldn't even dribble with their off hands".

Try dribbling the way it was enforced back then. The game would be an endless stream of carrying violations.

It's the same when the argument comes from younguns that "those old time guys couldn't even dribble with their off hands".

Try dribbling the way it was enforced back then. The game would be an endless stream of carrying violations.

Exactly. It would have been easy to drive around guys back in the day if they would have let us dribble like they do today.

When I played in Germany, they had to teach me how not to travel, I was called like three times in my first game, you know how in America you might get a step when you start your dribble? They kept calling it on me, and I used to hate on defense, you stop your guy, whoopsie, he just walks past you. Hate it

Basically I think the definition of traveling is anything that looks awkward. Like coming to a stop and then taking a big step while still holding the ball. As long as it's "in the flow" of a clear objective, it'll rarely be called.

This is part of the problem with the Euro step, even when it's executed cleanly (rarely) it still looks like a travel, and many refs will call it that way.