Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Friday Music Thread- Great One Hit Wonders

Don't forget that Mark Wahlberg had a hit back in the day:

The next single after this was #10 (Wildside)...

Pretty much every one hit wonder had a follow up song that charted, based mainly on the popularity of the first hit. But they are still considered one hit wonders. Especially when 9 out of 10 people never heard of the other charted song. Now some of the ones listed here simply are not one hit wonders (J.Geils, Simple Minds, Dusty Springfiled, etc). But so far, I think everyone is pretty accurate with the ones they've posted.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the Marky Mark follow-up "Wildside" actually had a sample of the 'doot doo doot' part of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side, correct?

Men Without Hats also had a hit with Pop Goes the World. Not sure if most know it or not, though. I'm kind of an 80's music nut, so I assume everyone knows songs that are more obscure than I think.

Joe Satriani had one song that probably resulted in more speeding tickets than any other song since "I can't drive 55".

Dunno the name - No lyrics.

There's also some chick who is a fantastic guitarist. She had a bad-axx OHW too.

Pretty much every one hit wonder had a follow up song that charted, based mainly on the popularity of the first hit. But they are still considered one hit wonders. Especially when 9 out of 10 people never heard of the other charted song. Now some of the ones listed here simply are not one hit wonders (J.Geils, Simple Minds, Dusty Springfiled, etc). But so far, I think everyone is pretty accurate with the ones they've posted.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the Marky Mark follow-up "Wildside" actually had a sample of the 'doot doo doot' part of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side, correct?

Sorry about that, I know I posted Simple Minds. Just pulling these out of my ass as I remember them. Never knew Simple Minds had another hit. I was afraid Danzig might have had another hit that I could not remember or never heard, not Simple Minds. Learn something new everyday about the music industry and the bands/folks in it. :thumbsup:

Sorry about that, I know I posted Simple Minds. Just pulling these out of my ass as I remember them. Never knew Simple Minds had another hit. I was afraid Danzig might have had another hit that I could not remember or never heard, not Simple Minds. Learn something new everyday about the music industry and the bands/folks in it. :thumbsup:

I did Triumph too, so evidently I am not very good at this. :bench:

:D

I love music threads because I'm an admitted music dork. So please don't think that I'm trying to be a if I post another song by an artist you thought was a one hit wonder. I just like sharing information. Orleans actually had two other hits. One of them was a huge hit. See if you remember these...

• Like 2

I love music threads because I'm an admitted music dork. So please don't think that I'm trying to be a ###### if I post another song by an artist you thought was a one hit wonder. I just like sharing information.

This would apply to me as well that's why I'd like to mention Georgia Satellites also hit the charts with Battleship Chains.As you stated earlier it's probably more of a song that few may remember because their other hit was so huge.

This would apply to me as well that's why I'd like to mention Georgia Satellites also hit the charts with Battleship Chains.As you stated earlier it's probably more of a song that few may remember because their other hit was so huge.

Battleship Chains is a great song!

I remember the first two Orleans songs. never heard the third. the vocal on "Still the One" always just floored me. The guy didn't come close to being as strong as the studio version with the vocal on stage.

Newbie, did you watch the vids in my Bad Wreck thread? That is one strong band in my book. :thumbsup:

Newbie, did you watch the vids in my Bad Wreck thread? That is one strong band in my book. :thumbsup:

No, I have you blocked. lol Just kidding.

No, I'll have to check them out. I read that it was SRVish. Appreciated his greatness but wasn't much into his music.

No, I have you blocked. lol Just kidding.

No, I'll have to check them out. I read that it was SRVish. Appreciated his greatness but wasn't much into his music.

Lol.

That was just one blues based solo. The whole band experience is completely different as is the lead singer's other lead work.

I don't follow SRV either.

Good one. Little known fact is that Madonna started out as a member of this group. As a drummer, no less.

Good one. Little known fact is that Madonna started out as a member of this group. As a drummer, no less.

No sh-t... I wonder if she left the band or was kicked out...

No sh-t... I wonder if she left the band or was kicked out...

In the early 1980s, the band included Madonna, Angie Smit on bass, and the Gilroy brothers, Dan and Ed, both on guitar (Dan sang lead vocals as well). Dan Gilroy was also briefly Madonna's boyfriend, and he eventually allowed her to sing some lead vocals. Madonna ultimately left to form a new band, Emmy and the Emmys.[1]

I think you did great. :thumbsup:

No need to split.

Thanks, I think I am just more worried about throwing up duplicates...

Just one more that I thought of:

She was set to be the lead guitarist on Michael Jackson world tour that they were rehearsing for when he died. She's an awesome guitarist.

She was set to be the lead guitarist on Michael Jackson world tour that they were rehearsing for when he died. She's an awesome guitarist.

Yeah I saw her on "Michael Jackson's This Is It" movie... She definitely rocks...

How's this for a song idea: (copied from Wiki)

The single "The Way" stayed on top of Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart for seven weeks, and was a top five hit on Billboard's Top 40 Mainstream chart. Scalzo was inspired to write the song in 1997, after reading a news article about Lela and Raymond Howard, an elderly couple who had disappeared in Texas.[4] Though Lela hadAlzheimers and Raymond was recovering from brain surgery, the couple had been driving to a local festival. They were discovered two weeks later, dead, at the bottom of a ravine near Hot Springs, Arkansas, hundreds of miles off their intended route.[5] Scalzo chose to imagine that they began reminiscing and decided to become ethereal beings on a permanent romantic trip, the answer to the song's question "where were they going without ever knowing the way?"

Georgia Satellites' lead singer, Dan Baird, released a solo album and had a minor hit with this one...I cute little play on words.

HA. I guess that is 4 now that I have posted that have had other hits. Triumph, Georgia Satellites, Orleans, and Simple Minds. FAIL. :bench:

Maybe I should shoot for 5, or start looking them up. :D