Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

$1 million guaranteed or 50% chance at $100 million.

$$$$$  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have?

• $1 million, guaranteed (after tax)
    • 50% chance at $100 million (after tax)

Don't get me wrong, $1m would change my life but it's not going to make it a ton different. I'm still working every day for the next 20 years instead of the next 30. With $100m my life (and my grandkids lives) are completely changed.

Not only would I take the 1 million. I would be super boring and put almost all of it in the bank or retirement fund.

Probably 1 party/trip for a few thousand, give a few small gifts, then pretend like it never happened.

Sometimes I think we are financial soulmates. :wub:

This is what finance calls your risk profile.

For example, when you are planning for retirement, as a young worker you will tend to invest in relatively riskier, higher upside investments as you have a longer time before you need the money (and to make it up on a downswing). As you near retirement people tend to get much more conservative or risk free...

1 million wouldnt change my life, 100 million would set up every generation in my family to come

I go for 100 every day

gimme 5 yrs and i'll almost have a mil saved and where do I sign up to make this bet putting up my own mil

1 million wouldnt change my life.

gimme 5 yrs and i'll almost have a mil saved and where do I sign up to make this bet putting up my own mil

If you can save $200 grand a year, your future generations are prolly already ok.

If this were a real offer and I have 24 hours, I take the big money offer to Lloyd's of London and take their first 10 cents on the dollar offer for the coin flip.

Drops mic

gotta admit this post was ... the win. Turn a coin flip into a gaurenteed 10 million

gotta admit this post was ... the win. Turn a coin flip into a gaurenteed 10 million

For the win...if you add some criteria.

For the win...if you add some criteria.

go to lol and hedge the 100 mil coin flip. You get 10 million regarless.

No hedge allowed

The only reason every other poster didn't suggest something similar is we were explicitly told that it wasn't allowed under the hypothetical scenario :dunno:

Easy.. 1 million in hand. I can retire in less than 10 years at 50. To already have the house and kids tuition paid off and have 500k additional for my annuities.... easy.