Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Gay Blood Donation Ban

My point is we don't know that for a fact, and until it is a scientific fact that it doesn't, it shouldn't be handed out to the masses. I don't think that is asking to much. I'm not saying it does or doesn't. I'm saying I don't know and that is the problem.

So you want scientists to follow all the people who have received blood from gay people and see how many of those people have turned gay?

:lol:

Actually, it IS science fiction. There are no verifiable reports of this happening.

There are zero scientific studies supporting so-called "cell memory". Stop believing all the stuff you read on the internet.

A blood transfusion from a gay man will no more turn you gay than a blood transfusion from a black man will turn you black. The fact that you consider this a possibility makes you a focking retard.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/04/transplanttransfusion-donors-dna-get-integrated-new-host/

Scientist can't even agree on something as simple as the number of white blood cells passed from one donor to the next, do you think they have the slightest clue about this?

Everyone is missing the point. I am not saying I think it does or doesn't, I'm saying I want more research done and rock solid evidence before they hand it out to masses.

Is that seriously asking to much?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/04/transplanttransfusion-donors-dna-get-integrated-new-host/

Scientist can't even agree on something as simple as the number of white blood cells passed from one donor to the next, do you think they have the slightest clue about this?

Everyone is missing the point. I am not saying I think it does or doesn't, I'm saying I want more research done and rock solid evidence before they hand it out to masses.

Is that seriously asking to much?

Yes, because there is no such thing as memory or behavior transference. You realize that any time you eat something that was alive, you are consuming DNA? Are you afraid you might start looking like an apple if you eat too many of them?

Nobody will research this because it's ridiculous.

ETA If I were you, I would start saving my own blood because the blood they give you from someone else is not labeled gay/not gay. No reason to take chances!

Don't know where you guys get your stats. MSM account for 63% of new infections, of which a little more than half are Black or Hispanic. Including heterosexuals, Blacks and Hispanics account for ~65% of newly diagnosed HIV infections. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/overview/ataglance.html

Blood has a shelf life which would be compromised by holding it to incubate any potential HIV, and any additional testing would add to the cost of maintaining the blood supply. Is 1 in 2 million units too high a risk? How much would this risk increase if any MSM could donate?

The overall prevalence of HIV in the MSM population is between 10 and 20%. Presumably, those who know they are HIV+ won't donate, so you are really talking about those unaware of their status who are in the window period where false negative tests can occur. For comparison, the risk of a transfusion carrying hepatitis B is ~1 in 200,000 units.

Blacks represent approximately 12% of the U.S. population, but accounted for an estimated 44% of new HIV infections in 2010. They also accounted for 41% of people living with HIV infection in 2011.

Hispanics/Latinos represented 16% of the population but accounted for 21% of new HIV infections in 2010. Hispanics/Latinos accounted for 20% of people living with HIV infection in 2011.

These are widely thought to be under represented numbers. So 44% plus 21% and toss in an extra 15% or so for those that do not know or do not care to know.

I don't want 90's post infecting mine so I'm thinking of throwing this thread out. 90's posts got nuts. Mine don't.

Until science proves that a bite from a radioactive spider will not give me the proportionate strength and speed of a spider, I'm going to assume it's true. :thumbsup:

The blood is clean yes, in the sense that it won't make you sick or die.

There needs to be more research done. As silly as "it turns you gay" sounds, it could be true.

There are MANY MANY reports of people getting heart transplants and inheriting some of their taste, memories etc.. sounds like science fiction but it isn't.

You don't think getting DNA put in your body from another person doesn't effects you on a molecular level? It does.

Lets research this more before making a final decision on it.

So, ignorant homophobe was damn accurate.

Does gay blood turn you gay?

Only if you lick it off a gay man's p e nis?

I don't want 90's post infecting mine so I'm thinking of throwing this thread out. 90's posts got nuts. Mine don't.

Some people struggle to hide it. Others revel in it.

Well, as long as they use the old testing method, would you agree the ban should stay in place? And then they can change the policy when the testing is upgraded?

It has already been upgraded. Try and keep up.

This is true. I also saw this movie where a woman gets corneal implants but they came from a killer and now she can see the ghosts of his victims. Could be true. :dunno:

Wait a second, did all them trannies get lady blood transfusions? :shocking:

Blacks represent approximately 12% of the U.S. population, but accounted for an estimated 44% of new HIV infections in 2010. They also accounted for 41% of people living with HIV infection in 2011.

Hispanics/Latinos represented 16% of the population but accounted for 21% of new HIV infections in 2010. Hispanics/Latinos accounted for 20% of people living with HIV infection in 2011.

These are widely thought to be under represented numbers. So 44% plus 21% and toss in an extra 15% or so for those that do not know or do not care to know.

No reason to toss in the extra 15%, unless you have a plausible explanation why Blacks/Latinos should be under reported to a greater extent than other ethnic groups.

Yes, because there is no such thing as memory or behavior transference. You realize that any time you eat something that was alive, you are consuming DNA? Are you afraid you might start looking like an apple if you eat too many of them?

You are what you eat. Checkmate.

It has already been upgraded. Try and keep up.

I'm not the one who said they were using outdated methods. You keep up. Im all for the status quo if you haven't noticed.

No reason to toss in the extra 15%, unless you have a plausible explanation why Blacks/Latinos should be under reported to a greater extent than other ethnic groups.

Because blacks and Latinos are irresponsible about their health. Even they admit that.

Because blacks and Latinos are irresponsible about their health. Even they admit that.

not only that but homosexuality is even more frowned upon in those community's forcing them into silence. But again. Mention that and you are racist.

I'm not the one who said they were using outdated methods. You keep up. Im all for the status quo if you haven't noticed.

No, I said the guidelines are based on outdated methods. Current testing is excellent, making the status quo inappropriate.

not only that but homosexuality is even more frowned upon in those community's forcing them into silence. But again. Mention that and you are racist.

I think a better argument can be made that homosexuality is under reported in general, across all races. And I bet plenty of them donate blood already.

No, I said the guidelines are based on outdated methods. Current testing is excellent, making the status quo inappropriate.

So to sum things up: The current policy is working fine. Let's Fock with it.

I think a better argument can be made that homosexuality is under reported in general, across all races. And I bet plenty of them donate blood already.

The argument can be made that it is under reported in general. It is not a better argument though for this specific situation where such a high % minorities make up both new and existing cases of HIV in the MSM community. There has to be a reason for it. One could be their lack of care for themselves as mentioned but I also think some of it has to do with how homosexuality is looked at in those communities. Not as readily accepted.

So to sum things up: The current policy is working fine. Let's Fock with it.

Why is this so difficult to understand? The current policy is outdated, excluding many potential (safe) blood donors. Non-scientific hysteria is maintaining the status quo.

Though it will require a vocal minority to champion the cause, I believe the policy will change in the near future. When it does, I fully expect you'll get on board with it. :thumbsup:

The argument can be made that it is under reported in general. It is not a better argument though for this specific situation where such a high % minorities make up both new and existing cases of HIV in the MSM community. There has to be a reason for it. One could be their lack of care for themselves as mentioned but I also think some of it has to do with how homosexuality is looked at in those communities. Not as readily accepted.

Although I'm certain you know the demographics of homosexual acceptance, you'll need better rationale to arbitrarily increase the number of HIV-infected by minorities by 20+%.