Sign in to follow this  
edjr

you best not run with Tim Tebow roaming right field

bo jackson was a second round draft pick by the yankees as a senior in high school, played 4 years of baseball at auburn and then 'quit' football and played almost a full season of minor league ball before getting a callup to the majors. tim tebow was a good, but undrafted HS baseball player who stopped playing for 12 years. they arent remotely the same.

It's a stretch, but Tebow was a QB headed for a major college. It makes sense that he dropped everything else to concentrate on football. If he played baseball as a senior in HS, he would have been drafted.

It's a stretch, but Tebow was a QB headed for a major college. It makes sense that he dropped everything else to concentrate on football. If he played baseball as a senior in HS, he would have been drafted.

But he didnt. And Bo did.

And none of that changes the fact that Tebow is nearing 30, and has mostly average to below average baseball skills. Could he get better? Absolutely. If he spends the next two years absolutely devoted to getting better, maybe he would get good enough to earn a spot on a low level minor league team. I dont see how he ever gets good enough to play in the MLB. Just my opinion though

Scout Grade

Now/Future This is on a 20 to 80 scale.

Power - 70/70

Run - 50/50

Throw 40/40

Field 35/45

Not bad, some team will give him a look.

Is "Power" their only hitting criteria, or is it just the only one they reported on Tebow?

Scout Grade

Now/Future This is on a 20 to 80 scale.

Power - 70/70

Run - 50/50

Throw 40/40

Field 35/45

Not bad, some team will give him a look.

Maybe in the independent league to sell some jerseys, but no legit MLB team

Is "Power" their only hitting criteria, or is it just the only one they reported on Tebow?

Its just the only thing he did well. He hit a couple of BP dingers

RP, know when you're wrong and walk away

you do not have to be a 6'6 TE to be good in the NFL

Except that all the good ones except Reed are?

Just linking the article, I think average is one of the tools they usually grade on too.

Just linking the article, I think average is one of the tools they usually grade on too.

Five tools

speed

power

throwing

fielding

overall hitting

If you want to make a categorical statement about athleticism in sport, then it's soccer and not close.

The whole reason youth soccer is popular is because any kid can run around and kick at the ball.

If you want to make a categorical statement about athleticism in sport, then it's soccer and not close.

Pretty dumb statement. Do you really think the average soccer player is an appreciably better athlete than say the average hockey player? Hockey is basically soccer, but played on ice skates and you have to use a stick to control a tiny puck, not just kick a focking ball.

The whole reason youth soccer is popular is because any kid can run around and kick at the ball.

:shocking:

there has been a world of stupid chit spoken on FFT over the years.

This is top 5

Pretty dumb statement. Do you really think the average soccer player is an appreciably better athlete than say the average hockey player? Hockey is basically soccer, but played on ice skates and you have to use a stick to control a tiny puck, not just kick a focking ball.

Yeah but hockey players only play for like 45 seconds at a time. Then they go sit on the bench for like 5 minutes.

Jesus Christ, what happened to you guys? One thread is talking about crying and the other is debating athleticism of soccer players?

Jesus Christ, what happened to you guys? One thread is talking about crying and the other is debating athleticism of soccer players?

Im chopping onions!!!

Yeah but hockey players only play for like 45 seconds at a time. Then they go sit on the bench for like 5 minutes.

Meh, and soccer players spend half their time walking around too. Some games are played more in short burst rather long runs, those bursts take a whole different kind of athleticism. Downhill skiers never do anything for longer than about 2 minutes and they are incredible athletes. I'm not saying soccer players aren't very athletic, I'm saying it's dumb to say it's "not close".

Meh, and soccer players spend half their time walking around too. Some games are played more in short burst rather long runs, those bursts take a whole different kind of athleticism. Downhill skiers never doing anything for longer than about 2 minutes and they are incredible athletes. I'm not saying soccer players aren't very athletic, I'm saying it's dumb to say it's "not close".

Well im the guy who thinks David Ortiz is an athlete, so what do i know

Does somebody need a hug? :(

Meh, and soccer players spend half their time walking around too.

I'm not getting into the athletic argument.

name one professional soccer player that is average body size, let alone tubby. just one

name one professional soccer player that is average body size, let alone tubby. just one

If have a hard time just naming more than one professional soccer teams let alone a player

But he didnt. And Bo did.

And none of that changes the fact that Tebow is nearing 30, and has mostly average to below average baseball skills. Could he get better? Absolutely. If he spends the next two years absolutely devoted to getting better, maybe he would get good enough to earn a spot on a low level minor league team. I dont see how he ever gets good enough to play in the MLB. Just my opinion though

I am agreeing with you, mostly. His age works against him, but in reality he is as good a prospect as 80% of the players drafted this year. Which is to say, has about a snowballs chance of making the bigs. He is worth a flyer.

Well for starters I probably couldn't name five soccer players on a bet, but I doubt there are many tubby ones. They have incredible cardio conditioning, but even it that's how you define athleticism name me a tubby downhill skier, or lacrosse player, or water polo player, or a motocross rider, or sprinter, or distance runner, or gymnast or....

If have a hard time just naming more than one professional soccer teams let alone a player

exactly.

nailed it ..it's a simplistic sport anyone can learn, play and even coach.

nailed it ..it's a simplistic sport anyone can learn, play and even coach.

explain to me offsides in soccer.

it's so simplistic, you should know

explain to me offsides in soccer.

it's so simplistic, you should know

it's when a player goes offsides

it's when a player goes offsides

^_^

Guys like Ortiz, Sabathia, Colon, David Wells, Babe Ruth, Prince Fielder, etc etc are not athletic, and would probably be the first to say they weren't. Hell, even Tom Brady says he's not an athlete. Hand eye coordination and being able to throw a ball artfully doesn't require athletic ability. If you want to make a categorical statement about athleticism in sport, then it's soccer and not close.

Dumbest thing ever said here. Well done :first:

hoyts not known for being funny, but that was a good one. :lol:

I couldn't work up enough 'care' to form a response..

Absurd statement from a moron, it's kind of his thing.

:shocking:

there has been a world of stupid chit spoken on FFT over the years.

This is top 5

Spoken like a guy whose main sport was soccer.

Being in shape is not the same as being athletic

Being in shape is not the same as being athletic

:wacko: