Sign in to follow this  
dschddny

can a "slow draft" really work?

Has anyone every done a slow draft? i.e. a draft which spans over a few days or even a week?

Can this really work? If so, what restrictions do you impose and how can you keep people from taking advantage and taking forever to make their picks?

Someone suggested this for our league but I'm skeptical about it...

They happen all the time and work. We just did a mock slow draft on here for July and there was one in June. MFL10 drafts are all slow drafts and there are thousands of them.

slow draft usually means clock runs from something like 10am to 10pm each day. if you miss your window it autopicks for you; either by a preset ranking or some common adp list. they work well and I prefer them to live drafts most of the time.

Dont think i would care for it. A news break like a Dixon out for the year could change things. It would need that kind of cut throat mentality to think if i take this RB this guy is stuck with back up RBs as his starters because he waited. A person who drafts well can do things like this to eliminate a player who is stacked at 1 position.

Dont think i would care for it. A news break like a Dixon out for the year could change things. It would need that kind of cut throat mentality to think if i take this RB this guy is stuck with back up RBs as his starters because he waited. A person who drafts well can do things like this to eliminate a player who is stacked at 1 position.

It requires skill, so no you probably wouldn't like it

• Like 1

It requires skill, so no you probably wouldn't like it

Last time I left you crying till the moderator stepped in, I think you should leave it alone nonutz

Last time I left crying till the moderator stepped in, I think you should leave it alone nonutz

Maybe try not crying? :dunno:

Past two years I've done a slow draft with guys from this board. It definitely works. Last year I ended up winning the championship even though it was only my second year in the league

I find that in any ff league that I'm in and I win the Championship I like the format.

anyone who doesnt prepick is a tool. or married.

Just a tool. I'm married with kids and a full time job yet I have no issues putting in my pre-draft picks right after I make my current pick. I don't know why it's so hard for so many to do it. I'm pretty sure the majority of all fantasy football players have smart phones so they can access the draft from that as well.

Slow drafts work fine. Some guys just take longer than others

Slow drafts work fine. Some guys just take longer than others

Yup.

We do it every season, 8 hours per pick. On average, every pick takes about 10 minutes, with the occasional owner taking a few hours (work, sleep, family, etc). Everyone usually pre-drafts a bunch of players, and it automatically picks the next available one. We typically finish in less than 2 days. We have owners on both the East and West coasts with different family situations, so it allows everyone to be "available". Everyone loves it in my league.

I guess it's cool since you're able to get everyone to draft and actually make a pick. No excuses about not getting the day off or having a party/concert to go to and therefore having to autopick.

But IMO there's nothing like getting together and having about 90 seconds per pick. The anxiety of having a player you're high on in the queue and either watching him fall to you and celebrating or getting pissed off when someone gets him right before you. Good drafter have a backup plan. Bad ones panic.

We've done a slow draft in our geek dynasty league for 8-9 years now. Generally takes about a week. Never had any issues. We just ask people to check in once a day minimum to make a pick. The first half the draft generally takes 1-2 days, as people are excited and know who they're targeting. The last half takes 5 or 6 days.

• Like 1

I guess it's cool since you're able to get everyone to draft and actually make a pick. No excuses about not getting the day off or having a party/concert to go to and therefore having to autopick.

But IMO there's nothing like getting together and having about 90 seconds per pick. The anxiety of having a player you're high on in the queue and either watching him fall to you and celebrating or getting pissed off when someone gets him right before you. Good drafter have a backup plan. Bad ones panic.

It's nice to have both. Love the draft day drafts where you actually get together to draft. But I also love being in a league where everyone gets to make their picks through the slow draft. If I ha to choose one it would naturally be the draft day drafts because I like getting together with my friends.

been doing slow drafts since 2000. they work fine. some of them require a commish to give owners a nudge to pick, but here are a few tips that helps move things along:

1. use a site that allows pre-selecting

2. have a fair timeline for owners to check (ie: 12 or 24 hr)

3. ensure your site send out an alert for owners on deck and/or on the clock, or have the person who just picked communicate to the next one up (email, text, call, pm)

4. most of those leagues i was in people were in different parts of the country (time zones), and different works schedules

5. try to set up a league message board so people can communicate when they will and will not be around. people need to do this!

6. if timer runs out either, use highest adp for the pick/round, or skip them until they show up to pick.