Sign in to follow this  
TennisMenace

Do you always play your top 5 D/ST?

Or, is there ever a time you drop a bench player to pick up a much more attractive matchup?

For example.....you have Philly defense and they are on the road playing the Patriots/Packers/Saints. Yet you notice the Lions D is available and they are playing the Bills. Scenarios like this.

So, do you play your defense 15 times this year or do you look to find a better matchup when your defense has a very formidable offense to deal with?

Thanks,

TM

I almost always stream defenses the first few weeks of the season because of this. We don't truly know who is a good defense for 2018 until we have some 2018 data. In your example, picking the Lions vs. the Bills is still guesswork, but without any draft capital expended or an extra roster spot occupied.

Usually by week 4 or 5, I've gotten someone off the wire that I feel I can use the rest of the season. By midseason, you also know which of the guys you drafted are trash, and that makes it easier to use 2 roster spots on defenses for the occasional week when your regular D has a bad matchup.

• Like 2

Stream first few weeks......picked Balt in all drafts for week 1 match up. Later in year I will usually have 2 defenses so I can stream a week earlier for playoffs.

• Like 1

I almost always stream defenses the first few weeks of the season because of this. We don't truly know who is a good defense for 2018 until we have some 2018 data. In your example, picking the Lions vs. the Bills is still guesswork, but without any draft capital expended or an extra roster spot occupied.

Usually by week 4 or 5, I've gotten someone off the wire that I feel I can use the rest of the season. By midseason, you also know which of the guys you drafted are trash, and that makes it easier to use 2 roster spots on defenses for the occasional week when your regular D has a bad matchup.

Great post.

I agree.

I stream and if a land a good def and that def has already had their bye week then I might keep one.

But I usually stream the early part of the season.

• Like 1

pay close attention to defenses that do something that really stands out week 1. last season i think jacksonville had like 10 sacks vs the texans week one. that was enough for me to grab them.

Always stream if the matchup dictates to avoid, even if u have the number 1 def.. Last year Jacksonville -2 in my league for the championship.

I prefer to draft studs and start them.

Jacksonville D ($3) is locked and loaded for the season, I can invest the time it takes to pick a streamer each week into other positions.

Same with kicker. Set it and forget it with Gotskowski.

You lock those 2 positions down (either through the draft or weeks 1-2 hustling the wires) and you give yourself a guaranteed 15-25 points per week which is a usually a double digit advantage over your opponent.

I stream all year unless I run into something decent which usually happens. Detroit last year was the 5th best d in fantasy and I stumbled into them around week 6 and rode them the the rest of the year.

Stream if I don't have someone I like. But if I have a DEF that I really like (have Jax in my main league this year), I don't even carry a second DEF. I'll give them a few weeks to sort it out if they seem to be struggling, and then look to put out the fire then if I need to. But if I have a good DEF, I am going to use a roster space for a flyer WR or a good handcuff RB rather than even rostering a second DEF.

I prefer to draft studs and start them.

Jacksonville D ($3) is locked and loaded for the season, I can invest the time it takes to pick a streamer each week into other positions.

Same with kicker. Set it and forget it with Gotskowski.

You lock those 2 positions down (either through the draft or weeks 1-2 hustling the wires) and you give yourself a guaranteed 15-25 points per week which is a usually a double digit advantage over your opponent.

The trick is predicting the defense. It's a little difficult to classify a defense as a "stud," especially during draft day. Jacksonville certainly wasn't the #1 defense drafted last year.

I would also posture 1) that the difference between the top-12 kickers is negligible in most leagues, and 2) that you're not truly giving yourself a double-digit advantage on the reg by spending earlier picks on a kicker and defense. You are probably giving up points at other positions to do it in a snake draft, though I do see that your example is an auction draft. It's a little different there.

How many times does the number one def in ff from the past season repeat?

I don’t think it’s ever happen, or as it?

Seafoam always as the time between frisbee golf to look something like this up I’m sure.

Like ten years ago I'm sure Pittsburgh repeated at least once, no? But yeah, usually a new kid in town. Cleaveland has the players to surprise, might still be a season too early though.

To answer q tho, yes I'll be playing Minny all year since I'm a fan and it gives me something to cheer a bit extra for. By dynasty league also has holding 2 or more ds ingrained in its fabric so basically zilch on wire.

How many times does the number one def in ff from the past season repeat?

I don’t think it’s ever happen, or as it?

Seafoam always as the time between frisbee golf to look something like this up I’m sure.

Actually, I think I saw something just the other day while casually browsing. Would have been Roto or FFToday. No DEF has repeated in the last bunch of years, 10+, IIRC. I don't really think that's a hugely significant stat, though. I have Jax this year, had them last year. I'll be happy with a top 10 DEF, don't need them to be #1.

I suspect it's pretty rare for a #1 DEF to fall out of the top 10 the following year. That is the reliability I'm looking for.

For example.....you have Philly defense and they are on the road playing the Patriots/Packers/Saints. Yet you notice the Lions D is available and they are playing the Bills. Scenarios like this.

I would call these duh scenarios.

The opponent always matters more than the defense itself.

I would call these duh scenarios.

The opponent always matters more than the defense itself.

Not for me. Most weeks, if I have a good D (Jax, Philly, etc), I'm not going to drop one of my bench RBs or WRs for a one-week D pickup. Getting back 5 points this week may mean losing out when a guy I was waiting to explode explodes on someone else's bench next week.

Right now I have two on my team. one for this week and one for next week. I'll be playing match ups until I find one to stick with.

Not for me. Most weeks, if I have a good D (Jax, Philly, etc), I'm not going to drop one of my bench RBs or WRs for a one-week D pickup. Getting back 5 points this week may mean losing out when a guy I was waiting to explode explodes on someone else's bench next week.

Another reason why you dont invest in dst and just take it with your last pick and stream. You spend a meaningful pick on the Jags and you feel pressure to start them even when they getting waxed for a month straight.

Would agree.

I know in the drafts I am in , the person drafting the Jags drafted them earlier then everyone else.

In a ten or even twelve or even fourteen team league why draft a def so early for happy return of a top ten def.

I think one can stream all season long or until after the bye weeks and a good one lands in your lap.

And you spent that draft pick on a wr or rb.

Every league the Jags def went on the 6-8th round.

Mmm.