Sign in to follow this  
snark

Boswell Fake Field Goal

Depends on your league's scoring system. In some leagues Kickers aren't eligible for offensive scoring other than FG and XP.

Guy in our work league owns the Steelers DST and was starting them. He sent out a somewhat tongue-in-cheek email saying he should be awarded the 6 pts as a special teams TD. I said that it's no different than a forth down play where a QB throws a TD pass, only it's not a QB. I asserted that Boswell should get the points, then I thought about it and maybe BOTH Boswell and the specials teams should get credit. In every other play where a QB throws a TD, he gets points and the person catching it gets points. Why should this be any different? If the person catching it is part of the special teams?

:dunno:

It wasn't a special teams play, even though special teams players were on the field.

Guy in our work league owns the Steelers DST and was starting them. He sent out a somewhat tongue-in-cheek email saying he should be awarded the 6 pts as a special teams TD. I said that it's no different than a forth down play where a QB throws a TD pass, only it's not a QB. I asserted that Boswell should get the points, then I thought about it and maybe BOTH Boswell and the specials teams should get credit. In every other play where a QB throws a TD, he gets points and the person catching it gets points. Why should this be any different? If the person catching it is part of the special teams?

:dunno:

When Dontari Poe threw a TD a couple years ago, the defense didn't get credit for the pass.

It was a kicker throwing the ball to a tackle who was an eligible receiver.

• Like 1

Had this years ago with Vinateri.

Special teams were awarded the points

Just curious, did your league specifically make rule that ST gets points if they are on the field? Its not really an ST play until a kick, etc is executed. Its just simply 4th down with ST players on the field.

Just curious, did your league specifically make rule that ST gets points if they are on the field? Its not really an ST play until a kick, etc is executed. Its just simply 4th down with ST players on the field.

Cbs ruled that the kicking unit is indeed special teams.

Cbs ruled that the kicking unit is indeed special teams.

So they rule them ST by virtue of being on field? Is it because of the formation? Personnel? What about a FG attempt on 3rd down? QB kicking a FG? All of those still considered ST play? If Rothlisberger faked a pooch punt and threw for yardage or a TD, does ST get pts?

I know im splitting hairs and you probably dont know these answers, Im just curious why they rule it that way. It may just come down to being easier on statisticians at CBS. If the intent of the play is ST, ST gets points.

Just looked at this in my league.

Boswell got 6.07 points for the TD. The team that played him won by 2 points. The win kept him alive as he's basically playing a playoff game this weekend, a win and get in season finale.

How is this scored? Does the kicker get the points or does the special teams?

Technically, this is just an offensive play and passing, rushing or receiving points go to the player.

I would NEVER consider it Defense/Special Teams because it certainly isn't defense and "special teams" traditionally applies to punt and kick offs. As an example, special teams is NOT awarded points for field goals or extra points - even when a "special unit" is on the field.

I agree with the premise that this is just a 4th down conversion. It's still the offensive team, in this case it's Boswell at QB and Villanueva at WR/TE. No way should this get scored for DST.

Every down is an offensive try from scrimmage, until a kicked ball crosses the line of scrimmage. This is a fundamental concept in football. The kicker gets the TD and yardage points. If your league scores it differently, it's wrong.

ETA: receiver gets the receiving yards and TD credit, also

• Like 1