Sign in to follow this  
SenatorRock

Sunrise vs Sunset

Which do you prefer? Why? Favorite?

I have probably seen thousands of sunsets for every sunrise so there is likely some bias. Also, living in the Southwest you are spoiled with some of the best sunsets in America. 

You probably catch a dozen or so of these each year of you simply pay attention. (Photo is edited but not that far off from how it looks to the naked eye)

Not to mention sunsets are typically easier to enjoy, rather than in a car fighting traffic while half asleep you are more likely to be cracking a beer next to the grill or finishing up an outdoor activity. Pausing for a few minutes to soak up nature's beauty.

Sunsets are also more diverse, with a color palette ranging from fire red to smoke grey and everything in between. Mix in some clouds, dust, or smog and the designs in the sky are endless.

With all that being said, I prefer sunrise.

Seeing the Earth slowly wake up, those first rays of the day peeking above the mountains or ocean on the horizon. The promise and gratefulness of a new day. While sunsets dominate the visual experience between the two and can certainly leave you speechless... sunrises, in their simplicity, their beauty, and their consistency get my vote.

Favorite sunrise is tough. Either watching the sun come up over Atlantic Ocean while on an early am stroll (like this) or watching the sun come up over the Grand Canyon while climbing from the Colorado up to the South Rim (close enough

What says the Geek Club, sunsets or sunrises?

When I was 14, I used to have a morning paper route delivering the Pittsburgh Post Gazette before school. I would finish my route just at sunrise and I'd always stop at this spot to watch it. It was probably the coldness and darkness of January but those sunrises remain one of the most prettiest things I've witnessed.

8 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

When I was 14, I used to have a morning paper route delivering the Pittsburgh Post Gazette before school. I would finish my route just at sunrise and I'd always stop at this spot to watch it. It was probably the coldness and darkness of January but those sunrises remain one of the most prettiest things I've witnessed.

Used to get up before sunrise to go fishing when I was 10-12 to get to the lake just as the sun was rising.  Just love the mornings.

Being on the west coast, I prefer sunsets (also great in Colorado).   Enjoy both when in Hawaii.

In AZ sunsets seem to have way more color, whereas sunrises just... get light.  :dunno:

Sunrise.   That time of the day especially in the woods or on a nice golf course is just divine.  

Sunsets are great too.  But I go with sunrise.

If that first video is the best of out west then out west doesnt have a as much as I thought. (Im sure the desert sunsets are great).  Dreary Western NY sunsets rival or surpass that first video.  

Im not here to say sunsets font have a little more color.  Traditional photo scale then sure, I guess.

But that wasnt exactly the question.  Not sure about other parts of the USA.  But here in the summer we get fog/a mist on summer morning.  You can see the ball go 20 yards if you go out at certain times.  When the sun starts burning that fog and birds are chirping away hard...nothing better.  Just a different feeling in the morning in my opinion.  The world is waking the animals are waking.  I guess I have no idea how to explain this.

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

If that first video is the best of out west then out west doesnt have a as much as I thought. (Im sure the desert sunsets are great).  Dreary Western NY sunsets rival or surpass that first video.  

The first one was a poorly shot video of Breckenridge Colorado

18 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Can’t imagine wanting to wake up early enough to catch a sunrise.

Me either.  Then I graduated high school.

Like a couple said here....if you ever went fishing or hunting or even kayaking in the very early morning at dawn.....just a different feeling.  Starting the day not ending it.

A beer on the back deck grilling at sunset is very nice.  No doubt.  Doesnt beat the morning.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

In AZ sunsets seem to have way more color, whereas sunrises just... get light.  :dunno:

Trooff. I live on an end lot on a culdesac facing west. My view is spectacular for sunsets

California sunsets are the most amazing I've ever seen. Purple, blue and pink skies....

Sunsets by a mile. Watching the sun go down over the ocean or gulf is one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed. 

If you live in the Chicago area, you can see your choice of sunrise or sunset over the water, just drive to the corresponding side of Lake Michigan.