Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

I have had a lot of trouble hooking up

Hahaha not that way you focks. 

I have missed some really massive fish on popped hooks. I have tried everything. Changed rods.  Changed leaders. Went without a leader. Changed bait. Changed hooks.  This is what I have settled on. 

https://ibb.co/gjq2DZv

It's a lunker Hunter but I added 2 stinger hooks that trail the leg section. 

Any of you had any success with stinger hook setups?

3 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I haven’t. With your wife

Just use pics of Newbie as bait, you could lead her off a cliff if you wanted to.

https://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1respect-the-fish......jpg

I am unsure on stingers, there are mixed opinions all over the internet. From my experience i used them when fly fishing streamers for brown trout.  I do not use them much in saltwater fishing, I find that a single hook works well.

Bass or northern's, who knows, not me.

5 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

https://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1respect-the-fish......jpg

I am unsure on stingers, there are mixed opinions all over the internet. From my experience i used them when fly fishing streamers for brown trout.  I do not use them much in saltwater fishing, I find that a single hook works well.

Bass or northern's, who knows, not me.

I used to trail a fly, about an inch behind a bass topwater plug. It mainly caught bluegills, but still caught bass. 

Also the 8 pounder picture: 😆 I snorkeled a Texas lake with a rock bottom. There was a big stump off of a point, that was decorated like a Christmas tree with bass plugs. I still have some of the ones I collected.

8 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Just use pics of Newbie as bait, you could lead her off a cliff if you wanted to.

I thought this was going to be a dating site thread. I was actually going to suggest he used my pictures in his profile. 

14 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

Hahaha not that way you focks. 

I have missed some really massive fish on popped hooks. I have tried everything. Changed rods.  Changed leaders. Went without a leader. Changed bait. Changed hooks.  This is what I have settled on. 

https://ibb.co/gjq2DZv

It's a lunker Hunter but I added 2 stinger hooks that trail the leg section. 

Any of you had any success with stinger hook setups?

Lose the eagle claw equipment if you are still using.  Try Gamakatsu hooks for a much better hook up ratio.

Nice looking frog.  

You will miss a lot of fish on top water.. lots of time fish just smack things hoping to stun it and then come back and grab it.. that first pop isn't trying to eat it

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Lose the eagle claw equipment if you are still using.  Try Gamakatsu hooks for a much better hook up ratio.

Nice looking frog.  

Im fishing with one now. 

A buddy and I fished for 7 hours today and did not land a single fish. We fished many spots and chummed with at least 15+ pounds of fish. We had good live bait(live shad) that we caught ourselves just prior to heading offshore and were fishing many spots where we normally do quite well for cobia, mahi, kings, spanish, etc.

We site casted to at least 5 different cobia that we snuck up on, usually these are very curious fish and i do pretty well sight casting to them. I bet I land at least 50% of the cobia that i can spot. However these fish bolted away as soon as the lure hit the water.

My buddy hooked up to one fish that fought hard for 20 minutes that we didnt see. The way it was fighting my money was that it was a large jack crevalle, even a 7 foot shark does not fight hard for more than 10 minutes. However it straightened the hook out before we ever saw it.

I do not think I have ever worked so hard at fishing with so little to show for it. Maybe next time.

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I do not think I have ever worked so hard at fishing with so little to show for it. Maybe next time.

Sounds like the fish were just playing Koi.

my son only fishes topwater and cries the whole time about missed bites. i throw a senko right next to his casts and never miss :D

went offshore over weekend. yellowfin steaks all week :pointstosky: