Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Kentucky is using 'shocking' boats to show just how bad its Asian carp problem is(video)

59 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Don't show this to Trump. He'll be running power line through the Rio grande by The Weeknd. 

:D

18 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

And here is a post by someone that knows nothing about fish.

Carp are some of the pickiest eaters and many are herbivores.

Ill defer to you.  But you could literally throw a leaf in a pond where I golf and they will swarm to eat it.  A golf tee.  Doesnt matter.

Ive seen them be caught on corn, bread dough balls, worms, hot dogs.  

They grow huge.  They cant be too picky.  

Ill defer to you but they seem to eat anything besides an artificial lure.  

From the interwebs....literally nothing that says they are picky.  They are bottom feeders.  Seem more picky than fish who generally only eat other fish.  

Carp eat a variety of foods. They favor insects, aquatic worms, crustaceans, and mollusks, but also consume algae and other plant matter. Due to this diverse diet, a variety of carp baits trip their triggers, from natural offerings to homemade doughbaits and mass-produced softbaits, dips, boilies, and such.

One of the best places to find Carp eating is in shallow water near reeds, ferns, or any other kind of natural growth. Even larger model Carp will cruise in closer to shore to feed. They really love finding worms, but they aren't picky. As Carp stir up the roots of underwater foliage, many other creatures are revealed. Carp have no problem gobbling up Crawdads, frogs, or even smaller fish. Carp will eat just about anything they find down there that's alive.

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

From the interwebs....literally nothing that says they are picky.  They are bottom feeders.  Seem more picky than fish who generally only eat other fish.  

Carp eat a variety of foods. They favor insects, aquatic worms, crustaceans, and mollusks, but also consume algae and other plant matter. Due to this diverse diet, a variety of carp baits trip their triggers, from natural offerings to homemade doughbaits and mass-produced softbaits, dips, boilies, and such.

One of the best places to find Carp eating is in shallow water near reeds, ferns, or any other kind of natural growth. Even larger model Carp will cruise in closer to shore to feed. They really love finding worms, but they aren't picky. As Carp stir up the roots of underwater foliage, many other creatures are revealed. Carp have no problem gobbling up Crawdads, frogs, or even smaller fish. Carp will eat just about anything they find down there that's alive.

The silver carp is a filter feeder and possesses a specialized feeding apparatus capable of filtering particles as small as 4 µm. The gill rakers are fused into a sponge-like filter, and an epibranchial organ secretes mucus which assists in trapping small particles. A strong buccal pump forces water through this filter. Silver carp, like all Hypophthalmichthys species, have no stomachs; they are thought to feed more or less constantly, largely on phytoplankton. [8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_carp

Silver Carp is one species of carp that is being discussed in this thread and when i last looked into invasive carp a few years ago it was the most prevalent of the Asian carp.

Grass carp rely almost entirely on aquatic plants for their diet. According to the PA Fish and Boat Commission, they prefer to eat the following aquatic plants:

Grass carp is another subspecies of asian carp.

https://extension.psu.edu/using-grass-carp-to-control-aquatic-plants

etc

So are you deferring to Ski?  I'm confused.

Ill defer to you.  But you could literally throw a leaf in a pond where I golf and they will swarm to eat it.  A golf tee.  Doesnt matter.

Ive seen them be caught on corn, bread dough balls, worms, hot dogs.  

They grow huge.  They cant be too picky.  

Ill defer to you but they seem to eat anything besides an artificial lure.  

You are correct. I should have been more clear and less of a jerk.

To clarify, "many sub-species of carp are picky eaters".

36 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You are correct. I should have been more clear and less of a jerk.

To clarify, "many sub-species of carp are picky eaters".

I agree.  You should have been less of a jackass with your retort.  

are these the fish that can literally walk on land too?

12 minutes ago, taco breath said:

are these the fish that can literally walk on land too?

So Asian Carp are the missing link?

On 8/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, Strike said:

So Asian Carp are the missing link?

They can walk, but they can't drive for s***.

That's Tennessee. The dude has a Tennessee uniform on. And much of Kentucky lake is in Tennessee. It isn't actually a lake, it's part of the Tennessee River. Tva dams and such.