Sign in to follow this  
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred open to altering baseballs...

I'm all for this if it reduces the number of home run dramatically...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-open-to-altering-baseballs-after-the-home-run-record-was-shattered-in-2019/

The 2019 baseball season has seen far more home runs than in any other season in history. It has shattered the previous record. Heading into Tuesday, there were 6,590 home runs clubbed in 2019. Before this season, the record was 6,105 (2017). The last four seasons have produced four of the top five all-time home run seasons. 

Clearly, something needs to be done because it's spiraling out of control. Several studies have shown there is less drag on the ball these days, which means the ball will carry further than it has in past seasons. 

Commissioner Rob Manfred has at times mentioned the ball is within the proper specifications, but it seems like he's finally gotten enough pressure that he's willing to take a look. Manfred addressed the ball issue in an interview with Forbes, saying MLB is going to take a look at more studies on the ball in the offseason while noting he is open to changes ahead of the 2020 campaign.

"We have reconvened the group of scientists that worked with us before [on the initial study]," he said. "We've asked them to take a fresh look at everything that is occurring with the baseball. We expect to get this new report shortly after the World Series."

"The only thing I'm prepared to say at this point and time is I do think that we need to see if we can make some changes that gives us a more predictable, consistent performance from the baseball."

Going back to the old baseballs would certainly keep more fly balls in play and cut down on the excessive number of long balls. Let's not ignore the strikeout problem, too (MLB keeps setting records for that, too). 

I've been advocating this season to fix the baseballs in tandem with lowering the mound. If home runs and strikeouts get cut down at the same time, there would be a lot more action on the field. 

Regardless, the league shouldn't be hitting 500 more home runs in a season than it ever had before. Hopefully the ball gets addressed sooner rather than later. 

Good, because it's ridiculous. And do away with the shift while

youre at it. And maybe a few more day games, on a Fockin SATURDAY in the summer? 

I'm not a baseball fan, but I didn't know there was an ***official changing of the baseball*** in some recent year?  When and why did that happen?

:huh:

15 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good, because it's ridiculous. And do away with the shift

The shift is just fine...  The problem is that everyone wants to just pull the ball...

16 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good, because it's ridiculous. And do away with the shift while

youre at it. And maybe a few more day games, on a Fockin SATURDAY in the summer? 

No problem with shifts.  If you aren't a complete hitter who only tries to pull everything and can't bunt or go the opposite way---I have no problem with the defense standing where you hit the ball 90% of the time.   Like the saying goes “Keep your eye on the ball and hit ‘em where they ain’t,”.

This would be a start, but much more is needed to fix baseball. 

- The parks need to be built bigger going forward. Everyone that steps up to the plate is looking to hit a homerun. I miss the days of stealing bases and slapping the ball around to the opposite field. 

- Go back to the 4 man rotation. It was done for how many years and arms/elbows were fine? Pitchers need to quit being pusssies. Rub some dirt on it or ice it. 

- Remove all this new netting. The new netting is the reason I will never attend another baseball game. If you are in the stands and are hit by a ball because you weren't paying attention then you deserve to die and I hope you do. 

- As stated above - More day games and specifically playoff/world series games need to start at 7:00 pm eastern time. If you live on the WC - move east, take off work, or fock off. 

25 minutes ago, posty said:

The shift is just fine...  The problem is that everyone wants to just pull the ball...

Almost everyone has always wanted to pull the ball. Some guys could go the other way. Let's not act like everyone years ago was doing it.  

5 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

No problem with shifts.  If you aren't a complete hitter who only tries to pull everything and can't bunt or go the opposite way---I have no problem with the defense standing where you hit the ball 90% of the time.   Like the saying goes “Keep your eye on the ball and hit ‘em where they ain’t,”.

I'll say it again: The guys that could consistently go the other way were rare. Most of them stars. You're nostalgic about something that wasnt really  happening up and down the order. 

3 hours ago, posty said:

It's not just "wants", it's the reality that every CAN pull a 98 mph fastball.  This was not always so.  And the ball flies when you hit it.  It's the perfect homerun storm. Poor hitters like Bryce Harper can't handle 85 mph change ups, but he knows he'll just need 35 bad fastballs a year to look good on paper.

Fock, I like the homeruns.  Baseball can get real boring real fast.  This has been a great season.  ⚾

Maybe he can have them altered to be just like footballs, then he can change the rules where the game is played on a 100 yard field with goal posts at each end and with 11 offensive amd 11 defensive players on the field during play. 

I mentioned it in another thread but hitters have changed their swings pretty dramatically.  I watched BP up close a few weeks ago and was astounded at how much of an upper cut these guys were swinging with.  You don't get as much of an appreciation for it on tv.  

I think the juiced ball has made a lot of them realize they can hit more homers by altering their launch angle.