Sign in to follow this  
Barry Bonds became all-time HR leader with 756th on August 7, 2007...

22 minutes ago, edjr said:

Who bats 1st in a lineup? a guy with a good average, or a guy with a good OBP?  Why is that? 

Walks are great with regard to OBP.   Also good with bubble gum chewing kids who think OPS is a real stat.  

52 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, he is right, you're wrong.  Walks don't count as an at-bat, so for #3, the AB's would be 5, not 10.  SLG is total bases divided by at-bats.  So in this scenario, it's 20/5 which is 4.  The OBP is 1 because this batter was on base all 10 plate appearances (as the same with the other two).  So, OPS is SLG (4) + OBP (1) = 5.

Though, his math is wrong on his second scenario, but not enough to disprove his point.  The correct number is 4.500, not 4.200.

ETA:  Actually, how did you even get 2.5?  If you count the walks as an at-bat, then you'd have a SLG of 20/10 which is 2, plus the 1 for OBP being 3.000, not 2.500.  If you counted the walk as a total base, then you'd have 25/10... which is 2.500, but when you add the 1 for the OBP, you'd end up with 3.500 (which is a single).  What math did you use to get to 2.500?

:wacko:  WHAT?????????????????????  A walk doesn't count as an at bat for OBP OR OPS?   

Walks dont count as an at bat. bwahahahahaha :lol:     right for batting average they sure don't. what about OBP? :wall:  you think they throw out the walks?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :lol:

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

There were twice as many teams when Bonds than Ruth. Dilution of talent. Ruth played against the best of his time. 

Dulution of talent?  I doubt that.  Kids today spend far more time developing skills and are stronger, bigger and faster.  Plus the pool of talent now draws upon blacks, cubans, porto ricans and others around the world.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

There were twice as many teams when Bonds player than Ruth. Dilution of talent. Ruth played against the best of his time. 

They best ditch diggers and ice men.. yay babe, what a talent. 

7 minutes ago, jonmx said:

Dulution of talent?  I doubt that.  Kids today spend far more time developing skills and are stronger, bigger and faster.  Plus the pool of talent now draws upon blacks, cubans, porto ricans and others around the world.  

Maybe. But again, we are talking all time here. If we are going to make subjective arguments, let’s not use all time. And if we are, steroids are in play. 

Funny how Ed goes to the mats for Bonds and not Clemens. Bitter Boston beer face. 

44 minutes ago, edjr said:

:wacko:  WHAT?????????????????????  A walk doesn't count as an at bat for OBP OR OPS?   

Walks dont count as an at bat. bwahahahahaha :lol:     right for batting average they sure don't. what about OBP? :wall:  you think they throw out the walks?

Serious question.  Have you ever truly followed baseball?  At no point in baseball history were walks ever counted as an at-bat.

At what part of my post that you quoted say that OBP doesn't take into account walks?  In fact, I specifically stated that for OBP that it is included in "plate appearances"... which is what OBP is based on.  I stated that SLG doesn't factor in walks, it's all about power.  It's a pretty simple formula, it's TB (total bases) divided by AB (at bats).  For your reading pleasure: https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/ops/

In his scenario, OPB = 1 because the batter was on base in all 10 of his "plate appearances".  SLG = 4 because the total bases is 20 and the "at-bats" is 5.  Walks are not "at-bats".  So, it's 20 divide by 5 which is 4.  OPS is OPB + SLG... 1 + 4.  In my math, that equals 5.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, edjr said:

PA, Ed, PA.  Read up on it.

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Good throw gets him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Sid Bream was one of the sneakiest faster base runners in MLB

Everyone who knows baseball knows a walk is AS GOOD as a hit

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Funny how Ed goes to the mats for Bonds and not Clemens. Bitter Boston beer face. 

Clemens didnt start to roid until he was done as a pitcher, look up the stats.  500 pitcher last 4 years in Boston.. Magically turned around his career,.

Just now, edjr said:

Clemens didnt start to roid until he was done as a pitcher, look up the stats.  500 pitcher last 4 years in Boston.. Magically turned around his career,.

So your contention is that steroids helped Rocket, which they did, and not Bonds? Makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, edjr said:

They best ditch diggers and ice men.. yay babe, what a talent. 

Just when you think edjr can’t get any dumber....

2 hours ago, posty said:

edjr won this thread...

Another good call from Mr, Baseball. Lol. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

I just looked up his career stats, he was thrown trying to steal 40 times in 90 attempts.  Guess that was all part of his sneaky plan to keep his speed under wraps.  :D

14 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I just looked up his career stats, he was thrown trying to steal 40 times in 90 attempts.  Guess that was all part of his sneaky plan to keep his speed under wraps.  :D

Worked, didn't it? he should have been kicked off the team the 1st time he tried to steal

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, edjr said:

The throw was not good.

8 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

The throw was not good.

He's no Johnny Damon that's for sure

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

He's no Johnny Damon that's for sure

Looks like Jesus, throws like Mary. 

47 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Looks like Jesus, throws like Mary.