Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

This Week I Splurged On __________________

Splurged on a gym membership in Ventura county.  LA county isn't letting gyms open.  Ventura county lets them open but everything must be outdoors.  They claim indoor workouts will be allowed in Ventura county in 1-3 weeks.  We will see if that is accurate or not.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bier Meister said:

I wouldn't call it a splurge, but doing a small project in the family room...

Since we just cut the cable from directv, we now have more flexibility with our layout in the family room.  I have been wanting to mount the tv over the fireplace and rotate the couch, lounge chairs and entertainment center.  We did that last weekend are waiting for the wall mount (should come on Sat).  Even as is (tv temporarily on the other side of the room).  Sound is carrying better and tv is a little bit further from the couch, so better viewing.  Also  no glare.  

the first mount did not work.  just got another one a week ago.  sometimes it's the little things in life.

love the new configuration in the room 

On 9/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Thinking they can bring them everywhere for starters.  And endlessly patting themselves on the back for “rescuing” a dog. Give me a break. Who knew my dad was a hero in 1974 when he got our mutt from the pound? 

On 9/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, Hawkeye21 said:

Acting as if they are their children.  They bring them everywhere and let them go just about anywhere without asking others if they are ok with it.

We'll bring them anywhere they are allowed.

They are definitely family.

We only let them off leash in open spaces. (beach, parks, dog parks, etc)

Ours are more well behaved than most people's children.

When at restaurants, others hardly know they are there.

Just now, Bier Meister said:

We'll bring them anywhere they are allowed.

They are definitely family.

We only let them off leash in open spaces. (beach, parks, dog parks, etc)

Ours are more well behaved than most people's children.

When at restaurants, others hardly know they are there.

You’re a hero. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

You’re a hero. 

Sure.

But not for raising dogs properly and having consideration for others (well maybe these days that is heroic).

Sure.

But not for raising dogs properly and having consideration for others (well maybe these days that is heroic).

Did you rescue your dogs? 

Did you rescue your dogs? 

We did not get them from shelters.  

No need to feel threatened ...no one can be as heroic as you.  

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

We did not get them from shelters.  

No need to feel threatened ...no one can be as heroic as you.  

Did I ever say I was? Weak. Anyway, what if someone in the restaurant is allergic to dog hair? What if there are other dogs there? 

Did I ever say I was? Weak.

Anyway, what if someone in the restaurant is allergic to dog hair?

We have not encountered it, but we would adjust..either move tables or go to a different restaurant)

What if there are other dogs there? 

We experience this often.  They typically coexist

Yeah. I hate when you people are around. And so do the people that work where you bring your animals.  But no one says anything. And it’s not because they think it’s cool. It’s a case of the Abilene Paradox. 

Yeah. I hate when you people are around. And so do the people that work where you bring your animals.  But no one says anything. And it’s not because they think it’s cool. It’s a case of the Abilene Paradox. 

i know you fight for the people's plight every day. 

this is just another case of you assuming you know what the masses are thinking, but have no idea.

you do you, hero. 

32 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

I bought an espresso machine and a new grinder. ☕️ 

You prolly should have come here for advice first.  These guys know all about Grindr.

8 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

i know you fight for the people's plight every day. 

this is just another case of you assuming you know what the masses are thinking, but have no idea.

you do you, hero. 

Question, what should I do if your dog invades my personal space? Treat it like I would a person sniffing my crotch? 

2 minutes ago, fandandy said:

You prolly should have come here for advice first.  These guys know all about Grindr.

😂 👍🏻

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Say we are seated before you.  Our dog is on leash, likely under a chair or bench seeking shade.

Your party has no allergies.  

you are going to be hateful, while likely not even knowing we have a dog with us.

you are just fully cocked ready to go, aren't you?

as for your question about personal space... that's on the owner.  if the owner doesn't react immediately, you push the dog away and if it is that intrusive/disruptive talk to the owner. if that doesn't work, you talk to the restaurant.

What's the opposite of splurging?

Our main living room has a sectional sofa and a loveseat.  We bought them because my wife loved the design and the fabric.  They're only marginally comfortable. 

I'm barely home anymore, so I've just dealt with it.  But after watching the games at the shop from our theater style recliners, I decided I needed something more comfortable at home too.  My wife didn't love the idea of a recliner in the living room, but agreed if I let her help choose it.

My sons were drawn to the high tech, leather electric models with dozens of buttons, cup holders, heat, etc. I hated them as soon as I sat down.  Made me feel like one of those fat, lazy sloths from Wall-E. My wife was ok with a couple of those, but I didn't wanna spend $2K.

We tested out all the Archie Bunker models but they looked like sh!t.  I was about to give up when I saw a simple gray cloth chair that was manually operated with one lever. The wife actually said it looked nice and it was on clearance for $299 cash and carry.  Sold!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Say we are seated before you.  Our dog is on leash, likely under a chair or bench seeking shade.

you are going to be hateful, while likely not even knowing we have a dog with us.

as for your question about personal space... that's on the owner.  if the owner doesn't react immediately, you push the dog away and if it is that intrusive/disruptive talk to the owner. if that doesn't work, you talk to the restaurant.

I have had one instance when it came to a dog in public. Some selfish bich decided to bring her “pit-mix” as she claimed, on to the soccer field. I told her she better keep that thing away from my kids. Oh yeah, no dogs  allowed, clearly posted. Of course she got incredulous towards me. Like IGAF. So you can cool It with the hate and half cocked stuff. You know nothing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

You bring your dogs inside the restaurants?  WTF?  I can't abide that.  We have a dog and we all love her, but we don't take her inside anywhere.  I know there are plenty of pet friendly businesses, but I think restaurants should be off limits.  The varying degrees of dander and shedding just seems unsanitary to me. When I lived on the farm, our dogs and cats lived exclusively outside.  They never once set foot inside the house. I guess I just have a different outlook. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I have had one instance when it came to a dog in public. Some selfish bich decided to bring her “pit-mix” as she claimed, on to the soccer field. I told her she better keep that thing away from my kids. Oh yeah, no dogs  allowed, clearly posted. Of course she got incredulous towards me. Like IGAF. So you can cool It with the hate and half cocked stuff. You know nothing. 

I would be ticked too.  

that is nothing like the scenario I presented to you

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

You bring your dogs inside the restaurants?  WTF?  I can't abide that.  We have a dog and we all love her, but we don't take her inside anywhere.  I know there are plenty of pet friendly businesses, but I think restaurants should be off limits.  The varying degrees of dander and shedding just seems unsanitary to me. When I lived on the farm, our dogs and cats lived exclusively outside.  They never once set foot inside the house. I guess I just have a different outlook. 

Only outside seating

Edit: i am not sure if I know of any restaurants that allow pets inside (unless it is a support dog). Seems very rare 

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I would be ticked too.  

that is nothing like the scenario I presented to you

In your scenario, you want me to physically engage with an unpredictable animal. And if I get bit? I’m sure you would say it’s the dogs fault.  

Reminds me of when I smoked. I was flying to Amsterdam with my friends. I was in the smoking section. When I took out my pack, the woman next to me politely asked me if I wouldn’t. I obliged and went further  back where some of my friends were sitting. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. As George Costanza said, “ We’re living in a society here”. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

In your scenario, you want me to physically engage with an unpredictable animal. And if I get bit? I’m sure you would say it’s the dogs fault.  

In my scenario I never asked you or anyone to physically engage with any animal. 

if you get bit, it is on the owner. 

when we have our dog with us, we seek pet friendly restaurants. We sit outside. Our dog is on leash. If our dog starts to move towards someone, we let them know that she is friendly and ask if they are ok with dogs before extending her slack. 

I can’t stand smoking in restaurants. If I see someone smoking, I’ll ask to move tables 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Reminds me of when I smoked. I was flying to Amsterdam with my friends. I was in the smoking section. When I took out my pack, the woman next to me politely asked me if I wouldn’t. I obliged and went further  back where some of my friends were sitting. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. As George Costanza said, “ We’re living in a society here”. 

It’s not rude until an action occurs (your smoking or the dog approaching you unwantedly)

having a dog or pack of cigarettes is not rude in and of itself

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It’s not rude until an action occurs (your smoking or the dog approaching you unwantedly)

having a dog or pack of cigarettes is not rude in and of itself

The point is, I was allowed to smoke. But I was being civil and didn’t ask her if she was allergic, sick whatever. I was just being considerate. The overwhelming majority of people don’t want dogs everywhere, for a variety of reasons. Trust me. It’s just that people , including me, don’t want the conflict. I bought a car a few weeks back. Was it really necessary for some woman to bring her dog in to the showroom? Amd before you say the car dealership shouldn’t allow it, let’s keep in mind they want to make money. I wasn’t going to not buy the car because of the dog, but she may have not bought the car if they said no dogs. Tyranny of the minority. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The point is, I was allowed to smoke. But I was being civil and didn’t ask her if she was allergic, sick whatever. I was just being considerate.

The overwhelming majority of people don’t want dogs everywhere, for a variety of reasons. Trust me. It’s just that people , including me, don’t want the conflict.

I am not advocating to have (non)service dogs everywhere. The highlighted statement is a gross exaggeration.  It is a strong belief by a minute minority, especially in business that are pet friendly. When pets act out and disrupt an outing, sure.  I visit a lot of restaurants (professionally and personally) and do not see your outrage. Most people come over to engage with our dog once they see her

I bought a car a few weeks back.
Was it really necessary for some woman to bring her dog in to the showroom? Amd before you say the car dealership shouldn’t allow it, let’s keep in mind they want to make money. I wasn’t going to not buy the car because of the dog, but she may have not bought the car if they said no dogs.

Policy is up to the business.  Speak with your wallet.  You can buy from any dealership you choose...you can even work with them online.

Tyranny of the minority. 

I've never cared to take my dog many places.  He lives outside and has 3.5 acres to enjoy to himself.  He's a very happy dog.  Planning to add a second dog this summer.