Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Bowden announces he has been "diagnosed with terminal medical condition"...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31856730/bobby-bowden-peace-being-diagnosed-terminal-medical-condition

Hall of Fame college football coach Bobby Bowden has been diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, he and his family announced Wednesday.

"I've always tried to serve God's purpose for my life, on and off the field, and I am prepared for what is to come," Bowden said in a statement released by Florida State. "My wife Ann and our family have been life's greatest blessing. I am at peace."

Bowden did not disclose his condition in his statement.

The 91-year-old Bowden coached the Seminoles for 34 seasons before retiring in 2009 and is the second-winningest coach in Division I history with 357 victories. His teams won national championships in 1993 and 1999.

"Coach Bowden built a football dynasty and raised the national profile of Florida State University, and he did it with dignity, class and a sense of humor," university president John Thrasher said in a statement. "Although his accomplishments on the field are unmatched, his legacy will go far beyond football. His faith and family have always come first, and he is an incredible role model for his players and fans alike. He is beloved by the FSU family."

Bowden dealt with a "tough" bout of COVID-19 in October, which came a few days after returning to his Tallahassee home from a lengthy hospital stay for an infection in his leg. He was also hospitalized for five days in late June and told the Tallahassee Democrat earlier this month, "I feel fine, but I can't do much.

Bowden served as West Virginia coach from 1970 to 1975 before taking the Florida State job in 1976. He built the Seminoles into a national power, winning 12 ACC championships and national titles in 1993 and 1999. Bowden was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006.

"Bobby Bowden has meant everything to Florida State athletics and so much to college football in general," Florida State athletic director David Coburn said in a statement. "He has influenced so many people beyond just the players he coached, and the staff who had the privilege of working with him. He is a part of the heart and soul of FSU, but it goes beyond even that -- he is a big part of the history of the game. Anyone who has had the opportunity to be around Coach Bowden knows what it is like to know a person who has his priorities in the right order, who loves life and values integrity and honor."

Bummer.  :( 

Always seemed like a nice guy, unless you were a Cane or Gator I guess.

He’s 91. Everything is terminal. Hats off to him though. At a time when college programs were doing their best to avoid tough teams outside of their conference, Bowden took them on. 

Damn.  I thought that guy was too tough to die.  I've never been an FSU fan or so many of the drones that came through Tallahassee, but Bowden was a great coach.

When I first glanced at the thread title I thought it said Bobby Brown.  :lol:

Never liked Bowden. Academic cheating scandals, cash payments, free shopping sprees for players, recruited scumbags, wrote reference letters for scumbags, court witness for scumbags, never disciplined...

In fairness I am a lifelong Gators fan, but that's the reason I know his situation. I never had any animosity against former FSU coach Jimbo Fisher. But Bowden...  he'd do anything to get those wins, legal or illegal. Everyone likes him, but behind that smile and fat belly is a man with no morals.

6 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Never liked Bowden. Academic cheating scandals, cash payments, free shopping sprees for players, recruited scumbags, wrote reference letters for scumbags, court witness for scumbags, never disciplined...

In fairness I am a lifelong Gators fan, but that's the reason I know his situation. I never had any animosity against former FSU coach Jimbo Fisher. But Bowden...  he'd do anything to get those wins, legal or illegal. Everyone likes him, but behind that smile and fat belly is a man with no morals.

Hypocrisy at it’s finest!  Brought by the University that produced Aaron Hernandez and the most unethical individual in collage football....Urban Meyer.  Meyer’s lack of morals made Sandusky blush.  

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Hypocrisy at it’s finest!  Brought by the University that produced Aaron Hernandez and the most unethical individual in collage football....Urban Meyer.  Meyer’s lack of morals made Sandusky blush.  

Well, there weren't any academic cheating or paying players scandals under Meyer. But he recruited some real scum, no doubt. Gator fans admit that and he wasn't well liked even by fans. Inside word (from very high up) was Meyer actually left Florida not to "spend time with family" or "medical issues", but because his wife demanded they leave as he was screwing every chick he could find. 

Regardless, I still don't think much of Bowden. He was dirty as hell.

15 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Well, there weren't any academic cheating or paying players scandals under Meyer. But he recruited some real scum, no doubt. Gator fans admit that and he wasn't well liked even by fans. Inside word (from very high up) was Meyer actually left Florida not to "spend time with family" or "medical issues", but because his wife demanded they leave as he was screwing every chick he could find. 

If you need to cheat at Florida…….

12 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

What about Galen Hall? 

Hate Bowden all you want but don't pretend UF athletics is/was any different.

Bowden is/was a good guy, IMO.  I consider the 80's and 90's the college heyday.  My bet is he has dementia. Seems to happen to a lot of coaches.