Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

What numbers will Trubisky have in Pitt?

Didn't see a thread about this. 

He either proves himself a starter this time around, or becomes a highly paid backup for the next 10 years.

He’s going to be a over paid back up Qb starting one season with the Steelers.  The Bears ruin him.  

its a bit of a wildcard.

not likely fantasy relevant unless you are in a league where you start 2 QB.   even then, hes a high risk/high reward backup QB who you likely will make you cringe when you have to start him on bye weeks.

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

its a bit of a wildcard.

not likely fantasy relevant unless you are in a league where you start 2 QB.   even then, hes a high risk/high reward backup QB who you likely will make you cringe when you have to start him on bye weeks.

This is interesting to me. I would like to see the future's betting lines that come out on him.

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

This is interesting to me. I would like to see the future's betting lines that come out on him.

agreed.   

That said, he sat in a good system for a year as a backup.

it is possible they could have undone the damage done by the coaches he had to start his career with.

kid had some talent.  I wont deny that.   but something went wrong somewhere along the way.

when a top pick doesnt pan out, sometimes its because of bad scouting, but I suspect there are times when the real problem is bad player development on the part of the franchise.

that starts with the coach and GM setting the kid up for success.

letting a rookie play behind a leaky line or with crappy WR's is a recipe for disaster and it happens far too often.   Teams draft a QB #1 or #2 overall and throw away multiple first round picks to get the player, and they do nothing to protect their investment.   They dont invest in the O line or give him much in the way of weapons to work with on offense, and then they complain that the kid didnt perform in his rookie year and the kid is halfway run out of town by year two.

and if the coach is crappy that just makes the problem worse.

look at Goff in LA.  he was terrible and then McVay shows up and suddenly hes good. 

coincidence?  I think not.  McVay is a good coach.  His predecessor was not.

I think if he's gonna resurrect his career and be a decent starting QB, Pittsburgh is about as good a place as he can go for that.

He's clearly got talent, along with some issues with his game. Sometimes it takes a QB a few years to break into the NFL.

Don't forget Mitch only had one year of experience in college, and that was in a spread offense.

Maybe being in Pitt, with a good coaching staff, and pretty good supporting cast, he can finally live up to his draft pick a little bit.

I think he can put up Baker Mayfield numbers

59 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I think if he's gonna resurrect his career and be a decent starting QB, Pittsburgh is about as good a place as he can go for that.

He's clearly got talent, along with some issues with his game. Sometimes it takes a QB a few years to break into the NFL.

Don't forget Mitch only had one year of experience in college, and that was in a spread offense.

Maybe being in Pitt, with a good coaching staff, and pretty good supporting cast, he can finally live up to his draft pick a little bit.

I think he can put up Baker Mayfield numbers

I think the Bears didn’t help him at all, he does have talent, he’s now on a team with talent like you said, and above avg coaching, I don’t think Pittsburgh  has good coaching.  But if he’s matured he should be better then what they had on the team before getting him.  And heck he might be better then a beat up Big Ben last season. 

Based on points per game avg, last season was big Ben’s worst since 2008.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I think the Bears didn’t help him at all, he does have talent, he’s now on a team with talent

There is this.

the only question I truly have is whether the bears ruined him.

like I said, a year in buffalo would have done a fair bit to rehab him.  he at least knows how a good system should operate and with some luck that will be enough to let the kid put it together with some actual talent on the offense.

The steelers have talent, but they also have a terrible leaky line.   if they can address that to a point where the protection is at least adequate, the kid has a chance.

but sometimes once a prospect is ruined, there is no coming back.   so it is possible this may not work out.

we shall see.

My guess is that this seemed to come out of left field.  I'm wondering if someone in buffalo gave Pittsburgh the heads up that the kid is worth taking a shot on.

11 hours ago, Ray_T said:

There is this.

the only question I truly have is whether the bears ruined him.

like I said, a year in buffalo would have done a fair bit to rehab him.  he at least knows how a good system should operate and with some luck that will be enough to let the kid put it together with some actual talent on the offense.

The steelers have talent, but they also have a terrible leaky line.   if they can address that to a point where the protection is at least adequate, the kid has a chance.

but sometimes once a prospect is ruined, there is no coming back.   so it is possible this may not work out.

we shall see.

My guess is that this seemed to come out of left field.  I'm wondering if someone in buffalo gave Pittsburgh the heads up that the kid is worth taking a shot on.

He's definitely worth taking a shot on in a year where so many questions about the rookie QB class coming out. They can still take a shot on one of the rookies. But they need help on oline and receivers that can hang onto the ball.

Of all back up QBs, Trubisky has the best shot to be a quality starter. I hope he succeeds. 

On 3/18/2022 at 6:52 AM, Donkey said:

Good chance they draft a QB in the first round. Trubisky is not the answer.

Looks like we are going to find out come the season. 

Trubiski only had 13 games under his belt in college. And yet, in the pros learning one system his first year, and had to learn another system the next year, and with a terrible offensive line, he somehow managed to go 29-21 as a starter and make it to the playoffs twice. 

I'm not saying he will take off and be great, although, I do think he deserves another chance to start over a lot of other guys out there. 

I'm wishing the best for him. Always seemed like a great guy. I hope Tomlin and that team can do something good with him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Looks like we are going to find out come the season. 

Trubiski only had 13 games under his belt in college. And yet, in the pros learning one system his first year, and had to learn another system the next year, and with a terrible offensive line, he somehow managed to go 29-21 as a starter and make it to the playoffs twice. 

I'm not saying he will take off and be great, although, I do think he deserves another chance to start over a lot of other guys out there. 

I'm wishing the best for him. Always seemed like a great guy. I hope Tomlin and that team can do something good with him. 

fair comments all.

and the bears are not especially known for their ability to build an offense.  They've been trying for years.

makes me wonder if the problem is in Chicago's management and player development more than it is in the players.

They seem to be okay in developing the defense and even the run game.  but at QB, so many struggles......

41 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

fair comments all.

and the bears are not especially known for their ability to build an offense.  They've been trying for years.

makes me wonder if the problem is in Chicago's management and player development more than it is in the players.

They seem to be okay in developing the defense and even the run game.  but at QB, so many struggles......

Yeah. It's a strange trend in a single team. Often times having very good defenses including arguably the greatest of all time, and yet never even got lucky at QB in the modern era. Well, their new GM Poles spent many years as scouting coordinator and then more recently scouting director of the Chiefs. Hopefully he and Eberflus have some decent ideas for developing Fields.  I hope they don't try to rush him along too fast in his second new system in two years. They claim they are going to put an offensive system together based around his talents, unlike what Nagy tried to do. Which is most likely what got Nagy booted. Well, one of many reasons I think.

Looks like the Bears are cleaning house of large contracts and opening a shltload of cap space that will kick in in 2023. I think they babysit, train, and test Fields this whole year and make a run for the division in 2023.    

In the mean time, I'll be glad to cheer on Pittsburgh and Trubisky as well this year. 

9 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. It's a strange trend in a single team. Often times having very good defenses including arguably the greatest of all time, and yet never even got lucky at QB in the modern era. Well, their new GM Poles spent many years as scouting coordinator and then more recently scouting director of the Chiefs. Hopefully he and Eberflus have some decent ideas for developing Fields.  I hope they don't try to rush him along to fast in his second new system in two years. They claim they are going to put an offensive system together based around his talents, unlike what Nagy tried to do. Which is most likely what got Nagy booted. Well, one of many reasons I think.

Looks like the Bears are cleaning house of large contracts and opening a shltload of cap space that will kick in in 2023. I think they babysit train, and test Fields this whole year and make a run for the division in 2023.    

In the mean time, I'll be glad to cheer on Pittsburgh and Trubisky as well this year. 

well, if you dont think you are a playoff team, then clearing out the high priced contracts can make sense.

at least they were able to unload some of these before the player was completely untradeable.

we likely wont truly see the impact of these moves for a couple of years.   Opening up cap space is fine, but you have to spend that cap money wisely or you are back at square one.

from a coaching perspective, I have always felt that a coach that can adjust his system to the talent he has to work with does better than the coach who has a system and tries to fit a square peg into a round hole from a talent perspective.

and this kind of coach can also mean you jettison a lot of good people to start drafting people to 'fit' the new system   so the rebuild can take longer because of it.

An astute GM can take advantage of these situations to get decent players for cheaper than they'd normally get them too.   The team desperate to unload usually gets less than fair market value for a player unless a bidding war happens.

I'm interested to see how he does this year myself. It's safe to say we don't really know what he can do.

He's a very high first rounder. Who was even traded up for. And it was Chicago. Who hasn't had a good QB, or coach in decade's. If that was me getting drafted. I'd be the happiest, unhappy guy ever.

Flip the cards and say he gets drafted by a good team at the end of the first round. A team with a good coach, system and players. And he sits a year or 2 then starts. We could be looking at a totally different player.

As someone said earlier. Hopefully Chicago didn't totally ruin the kid and Buffalo got rid of some of his issues.

9 hours ago, Kopy said:

As someone said earlier. Hopefully Chicago didn't totally ruin the kid and Buffalo got rid of some of his issues.

agreed.

the combination of playing on a bad team with questionable coaching can be tough to overcome, but sitting behind a top QB in a good system can work wonders too.

hopefully he can turn it around.

Pittsburgh has the talent, but a leaky line.  if they address that in the offseason that will be his best chance at success I think the WR and the RB are talented enough.   

if they fix the line and he doesnt work out, they will have (hopefully) solved the line deficiencies for the first round pick that is to come at QB.

He’s had an upgrade last season , and this season, he’s not playing with the Bears.  😎

He will avg more per game then Ben did last season.  

5 minutes ago, Donkey said:

Ridder to the Steelers

Ridder needs a couple years on the bench, but will probably be the best of the lot. I'm hoping to nab him in my dynasty rookie draft at 12. It's a superflex league so can't be sure he will last that long as I have no idea what the others in the league are thinking. I have multiple picks in the first round though, so I just gotta think it through.