WhiteWonder

2022 Season / Draft Discussion

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

surprised Rangers went Darvish over Cruz

I debated back and forth.  I thought there might be a chance WW let Cruz slide, but I didn't think you would let Darvish get past 2.06.  Honestly, I thought you might take him in the first.

29 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

I debated back and forth.  I thought there might be a chance WW let Cruz slide, but I didn't think you would let Darvish get past 2.06.  Honestly, I thought you might take him in the first.

Naw my pick would have been snell then Darvish cause I’d have no reason to do it the other way. Then Tampa takes snell

Darvish was a better first round pick imho and I'm not just saying that because 10 of my players have been selected so far.... It's a sad time when my team is below average fantasy wise, I draw the last pick, AND watch half my list already shredded :lol:.   Im ready for 2023.

As for Nelson Cruz, I only took him because Morton, Eovaldi and Snell were off the board. Not that I value all 3 ahead of Cruz, it's just that Cruz's limitation to Utility is annoying. That limitation is the only reason I considered Renfroe at 2.01 instead. If Cruz had OF or 1B eligibility, he probably slots in ahead of Eovaldi and Snell for me.

I'm okay with Cruz not falling any further to me.  His UTIL designation had been a bit annoying and the guy was a monster, but every year I'm thinking this has to be the year he falls off.  :D

That said, he will rake for you WW.  :doublethumbsup:

I was hoping for Gausman just so I could have my entire starting staff potentially.  I am mixed about how he'll do in a return to the AL East but I can't complain about a Ray/Stroman turn either.  

I felt I had to go with Lynn at 1.04 with Flaherty now scheduled to miss time.   Wasn’t sure about Matz with my second pick but starting pitching depth is always good.  

I believe I needed a potential big bat then saw Arozarena and Garcia pop early.   Felt taking a chance on Ozuna was worth it.  Gives me 5 guys in the lineup that has hot 30 plus HR’s in a season over the last 5 years.  Good depth. 

Hated to see Ottavino pop so early.  Nice grab.  

2 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

Hated to see Ottavino pop so early.  Nice grab.  

I know you snagged him last year the pick before I was going to get him...hopefully the early pick pays off. I was going back and forth with one other person to be named later...hopefully by me and not another team.

9 minutes ago, GuardBum said:

I was hoping for Gausman just so I could have my entire starting staff potentially.  I am mixed about how he'll do in a return to the AL East but I can't complain about a Ray/Stroman turn either.  

I mean you could have taken Gausman at 1.02.  I figured I had a chance at one of my top two guys picking fifth, but nooooooo....  🤬

4 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

I mean you could have taken Gausman at 1.02.  I figured I had a chance at one of my top two guys picking fifth, but nooooooo....  🤬

I mean I could have.  Thought about it honestly.  But even though I don't think Semien will do what he did last year, I also had 1 obvious hole in my batting lineup and that was 2B.  With him having SS eligibility as well just kinda sealed the deal.  25 doubles, 25 homers, 10 SB and I'll be ecstatic in his rotating "off" year.

quit laughing at my picks butt nuggets 🤬

my entire team for the next few years is basically going to be exclusive to me, so I'm stuck with older castaways who aren't really valued all that much. This entire team has been built through the farm:

C - Salvador Perez, and waiting in the wings is another potential HOF caliber catcher in MJ Melendez 

1B - With this being the last year for Carlos Santana in KC, it's Nick Pratto's position with Salvy likely getting time here going forward.  Pratto is a plus defender with a ton of pop and could see time with the big league club as soon as this year

2B - Whit Merrifield or Nicky Lopez, both playing extremely well last year and grown through our farm system

SS - Aldaberto Mondesi, Jr with the only question being can he stay healthy enough to last an entire season

3B - Bobby Witt, Jr. who many see being the Pat Mahomes of the Royals is slated to start here this year, but long-term is likely to be playing short.  True 5-star talent most believe will transition to the big leagues immediately.  We'll likely see if this is true this year.

OF - Not as much in the pipeline here, but maybe Kyle Isbel

All these SPs played with the Royals last year or were high draft picks.  Most of these have some time in the bigs, and a couple who haven't will make their way sooner than later:

Brad Keller, Carlos Hernandez, Brady Singer, Kris Bubic, Daniel Lynch, Jackson Kowar, Foster Griffin

This has the potential to be a superstar infield in a few years.  

6 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

quit laughing at my picks butt nuggets 🤬

That was me. I just wanted you to respond here 😂. Remember when we used to fight over Odorizzi? Maybe it was just one season when he still had potential. I hope he does well. I’m also laughing because I can’t believe declining former rays like Rizzi and Myers are 3rd rounders in this league. Though I still love Wil 

and yes, I know the players I’m likely to draft are no better 😆 

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

That was me. I just wanted you to respond here 😂. Remember when we used to fight over Odorizzi? Maybe it was just one season when he still had potential. I hope he does well. I’m also laughing because I can’t believe declining former rays like Rizzi and Myers are 3rd rounders in this league. Though I still love Wil 

and yes, I know the players I’m likely to draft are no better 😆 

I can’t believe Wil is either. But he’s still probably good for 20/10 

I have a proxy pick for the Mets for the on the clock but not one for round 4. 

we’ve been going really fast and I’m now at the driving range so I’ll probably make my turn picks later tonight or tomorrow morning. 

well done everyone. 

love having to use a pick on a guy i thought was exclusive a few days ago 🖕

There have been 43 picks made so far today. 

14 were from my list   

33% 😂 basically  

19 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

There have been 43 picks made so far today. 

14 were from my list   

33% 😂 basically  

Maybe if your Rays weren't so promiscuous, putting their stink on every player out there.  <_<

• Haha 1

4.05 - Jose Iglesias, SS, COL

Nice pick Zero. I didn't put the right value on him, forgot that with Story leaving Iglesias became the starter in COL. 

17 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

He is a warm body, that is about what I have to work with. 

Yeah, I get it, not a lot of stats out of him but he is a good backup.

@RaiderHaters Revenge I’m not planning to draft him but did you mean Emilio pagan in the 5th? 

Hope so.  That other dude retired 5 years ago.  And he didn't pitch (at the time anyway).  😀

Well damn, my starting pitching depth all disappeared in 3 quick picks...not that I was really excited about any of them anyway but still....here we go Sup Draft

4.12 - Hill

5.01 - Miley

5.11 - Wacha

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

done :banana:

Fraft winna :first:

I find it not only hilarious the amount of current and former rays to be drafted but also that I know exactly who and when they will be picked. Meaning I see a team has made a selection and I say “oh that’s Lambert taking Corey Dickerson” 😂 … the back to back Kluber and Fairbanks to Mora, I have a friend following along with the draft and after I made my 3/4 turn picks I said to her “Rangers will take Kluber and “crazy eyes” Pete.  Round 1 I Thought there was a chance Lambert took Randy but I’ve been in enough leagues with him to know how he thinks and knew he needed pitching. Boston also needed pitching and I recall him being slightly upset I snagged Eovaldi in round 3 last year. The Snell pick was telegraphed when Mora had not yet selected in round 1 and Morton was a goner since anyone else Burt could have been interested in would be available in round 2 be it Gausman or Ozuna. I was holding out hope he might take dArnaud 😂

Only 3 picks that surprised me a little were Nate Lowe in the 3rd, Myers in the 3rd and I forgot Detroit had a claim to Cron (but I expected him to go to BC in the 3rd regardless). 

sorry for the ramble but I’m almost done drafting and felt like giving a little analysis

It really was a coin flip for me in round 1 between Lynn and Arozorena until The cardinals lost 2 potential starters including their ace.   I had no choice but go pitching with Lynn.   It also helps that I have a lot of offense and every position player  for the Cardinals were exclusive. 

i didn’t see RHR grabbing Voit before Hosmer though.  Especially with Voits injury history.  Hopefully Wisdom can put up Voit like numbers for me.  

Is it okay for me to draft a player who is exclusive but a free agent? 

I take it if he signs elsewhere, someone who has not picked yet in round 7 could grab him if that’s where he ends up. 

11 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

It really was a coin flip for me in round 1 between Lynn and Arozorena until The cardinals lost 2 potential starters including their ace.   I had no choice but go pitching with Lynn.   It also helps that I have a lot of offense and every position player  for the Cardinals were exclusive. 

You kept me from pulling an edjr even though I was still close. 
The bones focked me. 
All I had to do was pick 5th? After you and I could have had Morton, Randy and Cron instead of Cruz which would have been a much more ideal start for my team. 

7 minutes ago, dcb291 said:

Is it okay for me to draft a player who is exclusive but a free agent? 

I take it if he signs elsewhere, someone who has not picked yet in round 7 could grab him if that’s where he ends up. 

I logged in as dcb to ask this question for him as I think I know the answer but am not entires sure…… I think it’s yes but if anyone can clarify 👍🏼

seems like it would be the same as when ZT backfilled Castellanos while still a free agent 

27 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I find it not only hilarious the amount of current and former rays to be drafted but also that I know exactly who and when they will be picked. Meaning I see a team has made a selection and I say “oh that’s Lambert taking Corey Dickerson” 😂 … the back to back Kluber and Fairbanks to Mora, I have a friend following along with the draft and after I made my 3/4 turn picks I said to her “Rangers will take Kluber and “crazy eyes” Pete.  Round 1 I Thought there was a chance Lambert took Randy but I’ve been in enough leagues with him to know how he thinks and knew he needed pitching. Boston also needed pitching and I recall him being slightly upset I snagged Eovaldi in round 3 last year. The Snell pick was telegraphed when Mora had not yet selected in round 1 and Morton was a goner since anyone else Burt could have been interested in would be available in round 2 be it Gausman or Ozuna. I was holding out hope he might take dArnaud 😂

Only 3 picks that surprised me a little were Nate Lowe in the 3rd, Myers in the 3rd and I forgot Detroit had a claim to Cron (but I expected him to go to BC in the 3rd regardless). 

sorry for the ramble but I’m almost done drafting and felt like giving a little analysis

I feel slightly guilty about pulling three Rays back-to-back-to-back, but I know you were expecting it 😂

Lowe might have been a little early but I like where he's batting in the revamped lineup, and I didn't know how long he would last. 

If he is drafting him for the round we are in then absolutely.  It actually locks that player into his team. 

if he drafts a player who is exclusive to him in one of the later rounds and that player signs with the Cardinals (for example) and I still have picks, then I can still grab him and he has to backfill.     Again, if he is drafted in Round 7 and it is before my 7th round pick then I (as the Cardinals) couldn’t grab him.  

as long as there Is no one eligible to draft that player (who has picks left) then he can be drafted. 

2 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

If he is drafting him for the round we are in then absolutely.  It actually locks that player into his team. 

if he drafts a player who is exclusive to him in one of the later rounds and that player signs with the Cardinals (for example) and I still have picks, then I can still grab him and he has to backfill.     Again, if he is drafted in Round 7 and it is before my 7th round pick then I (as the Cardinals) couldn’t grab him.  

as long as there Is no one eligible to draft that player (who has picks left) then he can be drafted. 

Correct👍

6 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

need a situation here, my pick this round was gonna be Justin Upton

its not that big of a deal but I had

Pomeranz/Kennedy/Upton as my next 3

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

If you didn’t already make a round 7 pick before Zero picked Upton, then you have every right to take him at 7.07

completely fair. Even if he slipped your mind until you saw his name, it wouldn’t matter. 

posting this here for transparency 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lambert58 said:

i didn’t see RHR grabbing Voit before Hosmer though.  Especially with Voits injury history.  Hopefully Wisdom can put up Voit like numbers for me.  

Hosmer can suck a D

Wasn't sure @lambert58 if you were taking Dickerson or Grichuk. Knew I'd be taking the other.  Grichuk on paper got the higher value maybe but I think you've has ended up with him for about 6 years in a row now and thought you might be sick of him.  Lol

17 minutes ago, GuardBum said:

Wasn't sure @lambert58 if you were taking Dickerson or Grichuk. Knew I'd be taking the other.  Grichuk on paper got the higher value maybe but I think you've has ended up with him for about 6 years in a row now and thought you might be sick of him.  Lol

With my luck Grichuk will put up 30 plus HR’s this year.  

it really came down to me thinking both Grichuk and Dickerson are probably 4th OF’ers/DH at this point.  If one of nyb3 starters on the Cardinals go down, it makes sense Dickerson would slot right in for those AB’s.  If I had Grichuk, I couldn’t be sure he would be getting PT the same time one of mine went down or had a day off.   

Grichuk has more upside. Dickerson the safer play in my mind. 

Works the same for me too so we hopefully both get the best of these guys. 

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Hosmer can suck a D

He helped us win a world series so he'll always hold a special place in my heart, but glad the royals avoided that albatross of a contract

you guys about done?