Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Green Bay signs Sammy Watkins

Landry and M Jones would make very good teammates. 

45 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Here are the betting odds for Landry, not updated for Watkins though

Green Bay Packers +200
New England Patriots +250
Atlanta Falcons +250
Kansas City Chiefs +400
New Orleans Saints +400

https://nesn.com/bets/2022/04/jarvis-landry-odds-where-patriots-stand-nfl-futures-betting-market/

Huh? Here in Cleveland they believe he is likely re-signing with the Browns.

57 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Huh? Here in Cleveland they believe he is likely re-signing with the Browns.

Then why did he want to be released?  Was he thinking he was worth more than what he was being paid?

He's a pretty good WR, with some big play ability, or at least he used to be...

He's not gonna replace Davante Adams, but he's a nice piece to have, at least if he's healthy.

They definitely need to draft a WR but they'll probably draft another QB or a kicker, something like that in the 1st round.

They should sign a WR, but I don't know that they will, at least nobody better than Sammy Watkins.

A-Rod is already gonna have his excuse when they score 7 pts and lose in the first playoff game this season, at Lambeau.

Used to be would be back in 2015.  

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Then why did he want to be released?  Was he thinking he was worth more than what he was being paid?

Yeah. They asked him to take less than the 14 million or so he was due and asked to be released. The reporting here is once he realized no one would give him anywhere close to that he would seriously consider the Brownies now that they have Watson…

14 hours ago, jrokh said:

Yeah. They asked him to take less than the 14 million or so he was due and asked to be released. The reporting here is once he realized no one would give him anywhere close to that he would seriously consider the Brownies now that they have Watson…

Ha!  Always funny when that happens.  Though, I feel bad for the guy.   I think Mayfield being a crappy QB caused his value to go down more than anything.

6 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Ha!  Always funny when that happens.  Though, I feel bad for the guy.   I think Mayfield being a crappy QB caused his value to go down more than anything.

it is certainly possible this is the case.

Odell did nothing in cleveland, then went to LA  and boom he was good again.

that speaks to both coaching and QB play.  not sure which you blame, but Cleveland is now blaming the QB.

I dont know how many cases exist out there where a QB lost his job because he couldnt connect with the #1 WR, but there have been quite a few.   thats usually the kiss of death for a starting QB.

Sammy Watkins or Sammy Watkins’ corpse?

BTW, Jarvis Landry is a JAG. Has always gotten talked about way more than he should.

Landry would fit it nicely with M Jones.  

6 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Sammy Watkins or Sammy Watkins’ corpse?

BTW, Jarvis Landry is a JAG. Has always gotten talked about way more than he should.

maybe so but he puts up decent numbers.   Great numbers by JAG standards lol.    Rodgers has a history of taking guys like that and doing well with them.

which is why I think he may be a good fit there.

personally If I were the GM in Green Bay I wouldnt have bothered with Watkins.  I would have signed Landry and drafted a top WR with my top draft pick.  That said, maybe they have other plans for that pick, if that is actually the case, they likely have to sign another WR because I dont think Watkins alone is enough to get it done.

Hes a #2/3 WR at this point in his career.  he may put up WR2 numbers with Rodgers.   It likely depends on whether they click on the field.

but against good defenses I dont know that he gets it done as a WR2. 

If Landry was to sign with the Packers, he would indeed become a wr2.  

He’s been one before with less talent at the Qb slot.  

Watkins is a nice addition but not someone I view as a difference maker. Maybe Rogers can help him live up to some of the college hype that surrounded him in the 2014 draft.

as of right now he's someone I would take a chance on as I'm filling out my bench

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

Watkins is a nice addition but not someone I view as a difference maker. Maybe Rogers can help him live up to some of the college hype that surrounded him in the 2014 draft.

as of right now he's someone I would take a chance on as I'm filling out my bench

yeah, with Rodgers throwing him the ball he should probably be rostered.  I just wouldnt want him as a starter.

Watkins was nothing more then a wr4-5 with KC.  

I don’t expect a lot more from him, yes more opportunities should help. But more then a wr4 is a reach imo.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Watkins was nothing more then a wr4-5 with KC.  

I don’t expect a lot more from him, yes more opportunities should help. But more then a wr4 is a reach imo.  

well, in KC he was behind Tyreek and Kelce.

who do they have in Green Bay that will hog targets?

if the situation was the same in Green Bay, WR4-5 is reasonable.   but they have nobody right now.

agreed, that can still change.

for now, if they sign nobody.  WR3 upside is definitely there  Possibly better if he develops chemistry with Rodgers..    if they bring in another decent veteran player such as Landry, then I'd say WR4.

but most fantasy rosters have at least 4 WR rostered, so he should be a guy to think about.   and he likely has more upside than your typical WR4.

It’s going to change, there is no way Lazard, and Watkins will be their top two WRs.   

Since it will without question change he’s not worth more then a wr4.  

Even with Kelce and Hill there was still able opportunities with Mahomes at Qb, Watkins missed a lot playing time, and he’s never been the wr that everyone thought he could be coming into the nfl. So he underperformed with KC imo.  

There is a strong possibility that Watkins isn’t on the Packers come week one imo.  

its a fluid situation to be sure.

If they dont sign anyone else, my guess is they think there is an NFL ready star they can get with their first rounder. 

Even so, those players usually dont light it up out of the gate so there is some growing pains there.  It would make sense they get someone else in if they can.   Takes a little pressure off the rookie WR too.