Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Latavius murray signed?

https://fftoday.com/news/index.php?Item=15266

ok I'm a bit confused as to how this went down.  apparently he was signed off the practice squad, but didnt he play last week?

that would imply he is not on the practice squad.

can someone tell me how this would have went down?   My understanding was you have to be taken off the squad to play.  so by playing last week, this sort of thing shouldnt be able to happen.

am I out to lunch here?  is there something I am missing?

Practice squad rules changed significantly with the pandemic and they seem to have kept those changes in place.  It used to be only for prospects with limited active roster experience.  Now, the practice squad can include veterans and there can be gameday elevations.  A certain number of practice squad players can also be protected (otherwise they are essentially free to sign on to the 53-man roster of any team) - apparently the Saints did not designate Murray as a protected player.

thanks.  good info.

The question is: is Lats just depth, or is he going to get play, seriously affecting the appeal to pick up Mike Boone?

I wouldn’t pick up Boone.  

19 minutes ago, IMMensaMind said:

The question is: is Lats just depth, or is he going to get play, seriously affecting the appeal to pick up Mike Boone?

After what we saw from Boone, Murray should be the nominal #2--but Gordon will likely get most of the work until he gets hurt.

33 minutes ago, IMMensaMind said:

if they signed and gave him some guaranteed money, he will play.  not necessarily as the starter but he will play.

likely in pass situations. as a vet I'd expect hed be reliable on blitz pickup and other things some of the younger backs arent as good on.

Thats likely one of the biggest reasons they grabbed him.  That and that he will likely pickup the playbook quickly.

• Like 1

well, i'm more aware of how the practice squad works.  I always thought once you played they had to take you off the practice roster.  clearly that is no longer the case and thus they were able to sign him away.

8 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

After Sunday, the Saints reportedly offered Murray a spot on the 53 but he decided to take Denver's offer instead.

Marijuana is legal in Colorado but not in Louisiana.

Easy choice.

if the NFL is testing for it as a banned substance the legality of it by region shouldnt matter.

That said I dont know what the NFL's policy on that is at this time.

If Gordon keeps fumbling (4 in 4 games), Murray WILL be the starter. At the very least he will be getting the carries in the red zone.

• Like 1

He won’t keep fumbling, he’s like many good Rbs, the more work he’ll get the better he’s going to be.  

14 hours ago, huskyhater75 said:

If Gordon keeps fumbling (4 in 4 games), Murray WILL be the starter. At the very least he will be getting the carries in the red zone.

he doesnt have a history of being this bad.

3 maybe 4 per year on average over a 16 game season.

the fact he has 4 in 4 games is highly unusual.   So I'd say its just a stretch of really bad luck.  from what I can see its never happened like this for him before.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

from what I can see its never happened like this for him before

Well, he is a year older than that has-been, Derrick Henry, so I think it's safe to write Gordon off at this point.

27 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well, he is a year older than that has-been, Derrick Henry, so I think it's safe to write Gordon off at this point.

Your nutz

59 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

so you are saying Henry is done?

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

so you are saying Henry is done?

I'm parroting the nonsense that was written about Henry in the preseason for comedic effect.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

I'm parroting the nonsense that was written about Henry in the preseason for comedic effect.

fair enough.  just wanted to be sure we were not taking what you say out of context as some on this board will occasionally do.

Gordon is a full go, I own him on all four of my teams.  Should be interesting how he does the rest of the season.  

27 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Gordon is a full go, I own him on all four of my teams.  Should be interesting how he does the rest of the season.  

He's just a blue collar hard thumpen worker ...earns his paycheck respect 

Melvin Gordon is all that matters in the Denver Broncos backfield.  I'm starting him Thursday night (since JK Dobbins is Questionable with a chest injury and missed practice today, and that game isn't until Sunday night; I can't risk waiting).

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

Melvin Gordon is all that matters in the Denver Broncos backfield.  I'm starting him Thursday night (since JK Dobbins is Questionable with a chest injury and missed practice today, and that game isn't until Sunday night; I can't risk waiting).

Good luck , I hope he has a great game.  

• Thanks 1