Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Week 4 NFL football team rankings

Best rankings yet.  Not too many changes from week 4.

Team    
1   Buffalo   Rams win looking less impressive to start the season as we see them struggle against other good teams 
2   Philadelphia   Tough to tell if they're good or not since Jacksonville is the only team they've played that is any good and they decided to barf on themselves
3   Kansas City   I don't know what happened in Indy, but solid win against a Tampa team with Brady worrying about his marriage
4   Green Bay   Ugly win against New England, but did take down Tampa so I'll give them credit
5   Miami   They'll probably drop given uncertainty around Tua, but I don't think Two-gloves is a big drop off
6   Baltimore   No shame in losing to Miami and Buffalo in close games
7   Tampa Bay   Lost to two teams that are better, but doesn't seem to have it this year
8   LAR   Not penalizing them too much for SF since they always seem to have their number
9   Dallas   Winning without Dak is impressive.  Defense is pretty legit
10   Jacksonville   Young team will probably shrink in big moments all year
11   San Francisco   Better with Jimmy G.  They just seem to get in street fights against teams that good teams should roll
12   LAC   Poorly coached team that will likely shrink in big moments all year
13   Minnesota   Definition of average.  The win over GB in week 1 threw me off, but GB didn't show up
14   Cincinatti   Can't block anyone, so I think the cinderella season is not repeatable
15   Arizona   Limited by the fact they rely on Kyler to improvise
16   Detroit   If they could just play defense they'd be a fun team
17   New England   Too limited on offense to compete with good teams
18   Washington   High variance due to Wentz.  They'll win if the ball bounces the right way, but it doesn't bounce the right way enough
19   NYG   They lack the playmakers at key positions to be as good as they could be
20   Las Vegas   Seem to play well and then somehow find a way to lose
21   Tennessee   It's hard to tell what's going on with them.  Seems like they're gaining some form, but I'd like to see them beat a good team.
22   NYJ   Fun team, but will have consistency problems all year
23   Cleveland   Can't seem to get it done through the air
24   Denver   Anemic offense with terrible coaching
25   Carolina   Suck wagon
26   Pittsburgh   Catastrophe at QB although I gues Pickett might give them an added dimension.  Seems to like Pickens a lot
27   New Orleans   Losing Brees and Payton killed this team
28   Indianapolis   Got some gifts against KC keeping them from being winless
29   Atlanta   Similar to washington.  They need some breaks to win, but don't have as good of a supporting cast
30   Seattle   Not impressed with the Detroit win.  They couldn't stop a nose bleed on the ground
31   Houston   Only 5 years a way from potentially fielding a competitive team
32   Chicago   I just can't give a team any credit that have as much trouble as the bears completing forward passes

I know what you're saying.  You're saying, "nobody, why are you doing this?  Who cares?"

Well, one thing I can predict for this week is that most of the games will be the home team playing against an inferior opponent, so I think it's going to be a fairly predictable weekend.

Notable exceptions for upset alerts, however, are:

1. Philly going to Arizona -  Late game so they're breaking routine more than usual, probably feeling themselves a little for being 4-0.  Playing Dallas next week so potential look ahead, and are probably being overvalued a bit based on record, but really have only played some mediocre teams.  And Kyler/Arizona are high variance so weird things could happen
  2. Chargers at Browns - Browns strength matches up with Chargers weakness.  Early game for the Chargers playing on eastern time zone.
  3. SF at Carolina - Yay, we beat the defending Super Bowl champs, let's celebrate!  Oh shoot, we actually have to play a game. Carolina sucks, but SF is giving up 6.5!  And it's not like they're known for blowing teams out.
  4. Dolphins at Jets - Feisty Jets, division rival.  Miami with a backup QB.

Doesn’t matter the game is fixed.  

Bills should beat the steelers and chiefs should beat the raiders, and then finally after the following week when they play each other you can put the winner of the bills and chiefs at no. 1 with a bit of confidence for the time being.   It may be awhile before we see a real test for the eagles, so who knows how good they really are. 

Miami is overrated.  They are a good team sort of dangerous but overrated.  Their 2 good wins they totally backed into/4th quarter heroics.  Give them credit but that isn't sustainable.   I think Tua was getting overrated but I still think Bridgewater is a sizable dropoff.   He is a total game manager.   

I will actually say you all of a sudden moved GB too high.  

49ers are absurdly low.  They are a top 5 team in the league no questions asked.  Probably higher.   

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

49ers are absurdly low.  They are a top 5 team in the league no questions asked.  Probably higher.   

Really?  They lost to fricking Chicago and Denver.  Just a terrible road team or something?

Rams are the only real team they've even played and Rams are flailing a bit while they figure out how to protect Stafford and get pressure on the other QB, and SF always seems to have their number.  

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Skins 18th? They may be the worst team in the league.  

I don't think they're good, but they've played a pretty tough schedule.  Eagles, Dallas, Detroit, and Jacksonville.  There isn't a single overtly bad team in there.

12 minutes ago, nobody said:

Really?  They lost to fricking Chicago and Denver.  Just a terrible road team or something?

Rams are the only real team they've even played and Rams are flailing a bit while they figure out how to protect Stafford and get pressure on the other QB, and SF always seems to have their number.  

I mean the Bears loss is bad anyway you slice it.  But they had super green Lance in there with hardly any playing experience and a monsoon.   So I give them a pass for playing week 1 under those conditions.  

Denver on road? Meh.  Road non conf games are the least important games.  

9ers have one of the best defenses in the league to go along with a great playcaller and weapons.  They made it to thr NFCC last season yet everyone seems to just ignore that.    I realize they have to win lower scoring slugfests but they are capable of that.  

We are probably on different pages.  You may be doing more of a power rankings thing based on only what has happened thus far.  I honestly don't understand how power rankings work.  Im more or so doing a projection of the season and what teams have on their roster mixed in with what they have done through 4 weeks.

6 minutes ago, nobody said:

I don't think they're good, but they've played a pretty tough schedule.  Eagles, Dallas, Detroit, and Jacksonville.  There isn't a single overtly bad team in there.

No they have played a medium difficult schedule I agree.  I think the Lions get way too much love.  I know people are used to a dumpster fire out of them and they are not that this year.  So people get excited about them.

But yes just watching the Skins I think they are a botrom 5 team no doubt.  Wentz is God awful.  Their pass defense is non existent.    

If the Commanders lose to the Titans at home, I'll know they're straight trash.

I think the Titans arw much better than the skins.   Of course they can be flaky so wouldn't be too surprised if they lost that game on the road.  But I do think they are a much better team.  They were the 1 seed last year after all.  I know they lost AJ Brown and have a couple key injuries.   But that franchise and team is much better than Washington 

As far as the Lions...

They have played 3 home games and all 4 games in a dome.  Yet they are 1-3.  I get that points are cool but why do they get do much love?   Their defense is putrid.  Goff and that offense are not going to keep pace and get written in the record books.  

Lions and Comanches at 1-3 over the 3-1 Giants? This list is whack…

Giants are posers.  Yay, you beat sorry ass Carolina, Tennessee, and Bears.  In three weeks, they are going to be 3-4.

2 hours ago, nobody said:

27 New Orleans     Losing Brees and Payton killed this team

In fairness, Payton didn't retire - he stepped away.  Aside from Brees retiring, the Saints were $74 million over the cap when Payton "stepped away". 

Payton saw the writing on the wall and decided to protect the legacy - his legacy. 

6 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I think they are close to where they should be.

I might have put them ahead of Jaxonville.  but otherwise I agree.  they lost to chicago.  I agree it was terrible weather but you need to win those games as a team if you want to succeed.  Denver is a team on the cusp of being good, not quite there.   San fran lost that one too.

I agree they are better with Jimmy G but I think the ranking is reasonable give or take one or two slots.

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I think they are close to where they should be.

I might have put them ahead of Jaxonville.  but otherwise I agree.  they lost to chicago.  I agree it was terrible weather but you need to win those games as a team if you want to succeed.  Denver is a team on the cusp of being good, not quite there.   San fran lost that one too.

I agree they are better with Jimmy G but I think the ranking is reasonable give or take one or two slots.

Cincy lost to the Bears and Jets last year. 

They were in the SB.   Is that succeeding?

2 hours ago, nobody said:

If the Commanders lose to the Titans at home, I'll know they're straight trash.

there is a fair chance this happens.   but so far they have played a bit better than I thought they were capable of.

I dont like the team much in terms of skill but they also dont look like the worst team in the NFL as some here have suggested.

that can still change, but right now they look like a 7-10 team.   not playoff bound, but also not last.   Maybe the current ranking is one or two spots high but its close enough.

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Cincy lost to the Bears and Jets last year. 

They were in the SB.   Is that succeeding?

you gotta make your ranking based on what we have seen so far.   Cincy had time to turn it around after those losses and last years version of the bears and Jets look to be better than this years version of the bears which look horrible.

I'd be surprised if the bears dont finish dead last this year.  thats how bad they have been.

30 minutes ago, nobody said:

Giants are posers.  Yay, you beat sorry ass Carolina, Tennessee, and Bears.  In three weeks, they are going to be 3-4.

I don’t think they are a good team, but any list that has the Lions and Comanches ranked over them is a poseur list…

If they were easily better, they would be 3-1 instead of the Giants,. At 1-3 your claim is as bad as your list...

If the commanders played the Giants schedule, they probably would be 3-1.

If you took a dumpster and set it on fire and then put that in another dumpster and set that on fire, it would be almost as bad as the teams the giants beat by an average of 4 points.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Payton saw the writing on the wall and decided to protect the legacy - his legacy. 

I saw some stories about Payton potentially coming back to coach the Broncos next year (certainly possible with the current HC seemingly in over his head).  That would actually give Russ some hope to cook again over the next few years.  

31 minutes ago, nobody said:

If you took a dumpster and set it on fire and then put that in another dumpster and set that on fire, it would be almost as bad as the teams the giants beat by an average of 4 points.

The Team the Giants beat last week had already beaten the mighty 49ers. Keep digging that hole deeper. Your ranks stink... Sorry.. 

15 hours ago, Ray_T said:

you gotta make your ranking based on what we have seen so far.   Cincy had time to turn it around after those losses and last years version of the bears and Jets look to be better than this years version of the bears which look horrible.

I'd be surprised if the bears dont finish dead last this year.  thats how bad they have been.

Lol ok just make up things as you go if you want.

And thats fine.  I don't do power rankings.  I don't understand them.  You might as well just copy paste a list of the standings.  Im not going to pretend bad teams are better than good teams because they won an extra game.  

Lions are wildly overrated.   Better than usual Lions teams maybe but I have never seen a 1-3 team who is historically bad, get so much love.  

They could be 6-11 after the season and people will be like.  Yeah but do you remember when they scored 45 and lost to Geno Smith! That was impressive!

Yeah, bad losses to Chicago and Denver. Chicago game was a complete wash with weather and Lance looking lost. Should have beat Denver buy Russell Wilson has had our number for a few years. Now though we're seeing what.the defense is capable of doing. Not just that we've had the Rams number during the regular season which has been 7-0. The matchup this week will be tougher than you think. McCaffrey could go off but I like our run defense to limit him. It'll be another low scoring  and Jimmy G is gonna have to deliver thus week. Can't always count on our top notch defense to bail us out. Jimmy didn't have much work from training camp to week 2 so I think he'll be much better going into this week. His chemistry with the receivers will be better and he NEEDSto get KITTLE involved more. DEEBO eill do his thing but I look for AIYUK to have a better game. Look.for the defense to hold the Panthers in check this week and the offense.finally gets in sync with Jimmy G.

S.F.49ers- 31

Panthers- 17

12 hours ago, jrokh said:

The Team the Giants beat last week had already beaten the mighty 49ers. Keep digging that hole deeper. Your ranks stink... Sorry.. 

I don't even think the 49ers are mighty.

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lol ok just make up things as you go if you want.

And thats fine.  I don't do power rankings.  I don't understand them.  You might as well just copy paste a list of the standings.  Im not going to pretend bad teams are better than good teams because they won an extra game.  

sorry dude.  San fran just isnt a top 5 team.   They are not THAT good.    and the record shows it.

That may change by year end.  with Jimmy G now at the helm I think the team is better than they were before, but it will take some time and some wins to show it.   They also need to not crap the bed against weak teams.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I don't even think the 49ers are mighty.

Agreed, I was being facetious. My last point on this. I don’t think the Giants are good and the spot you put them in at 19 seems about right. However putting the Lions and especially Comanches ahead of them makes your power rankings: Powerless…. HTH

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

sorry dude.  San fran just isnt a top 5 team.   They are not THAT good.    and the record shows it.

That may change by year end.  with Jimmy G now at the helm I think the team is better than they were before, but it will take some time and some wins to show it.   They also need to not crap the bed against weak teams.

Lol

San Fran with Garoppolo is better than San Fran with Lance.  Are they top 5?  No, I don't think so, but they're definitely a playoff team.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

San Fran with Garoppolo is better than San Fran with Lance.  Are they top 5?  No, I don't think so, but they're definitely a playoff team.

I was never saying they were not a playoff team.  I was only agreeing with the ranking given what has transpired so far.

my expectation is that their ranking will rise some with Garoppolo at QB.   likely not to the top 5 but better than where they are now.

12 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I was never saying they were not a playoff team.  I was only agreeing with the ranking given what has transpired so far.

my expectation is that their ranking will rise some with Garoppolo at QB.   likely not to the top 5 but better than where they are now.

Yeah, I'm with ya.  :cheers:

21 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Bills Chiefs.....um philly I guess.  List gets pretty murky from there.  Is San Fran not just as good as Baltimore, TB, GB?   I would say they are.  If they aren't top 5 they are 6th or 7th for sure.  

The only team mentioned here that made it as far as the 9ers did last year was the Chiefs.   

I won't waste anymore time debating if they are 4th or 6th because that seems goofy.  But yeah to me they are easily in thr same sentence as many of these top teams.

Good to see a lot of conversation about the 49ers in this thread. Their defenseis borderline elite after 4 weeks and if they stay healthy they'll be tops in the league by seasons end. If I remember correctly the Ravens had a so-so offense with Joe Flacco and still won a SB with their defense. Just saying.