Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

12 team college playoff 2024

January Madness :thumbsup:

Of course, they want to make sure Alabama gets in every year, since they shouldn't make it this year...  But if one of the top four lose this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see Alabama jump Ohio State to get into the top 4...

3 hours ago, posty said:

Of course, they want to make sure Alabama gets in every year, since they shouldn't make it this year...  But if one of the top four lose this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see Alabama jump Ohio State to get into the top 4...

Dumb take.

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

Dumb take.

I don't think he's all that wrong.  I think their main objective is to get as many SEC & Big 10 schools playing more games as they can.

7 hours ago, posty said:

Absolutely. The committee is hoping one of those top 4 teams lose so they can pop in Bama or Ohio State. Double bonus for them if they can get them both in somehow

I look forward to the year where BYU or Boise State complains because they were the 13th team and behind a 3 loss Tennessee team or something:

This year (if playoffs started today) it would be Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC getting byes.

Then:

Ohio State would host Washington

Alabama would host Utah

Tennessee would host Kansas State

Penn State would host Clemson

Only that last one would probably be a good game. 

I still wonder why they can't figure this out at the "FCS" level but have no issues at all of the other levels in all other sports...

This is very simple to do:

- Get rid of all of the current bowl games.
- Make the playoff a 16-team bracket.
- Each 11 conference winners get into the bracket.  The current 11 conferences are:  ACC, American, Big 12, Big Ten, C-USA, Independent, MAC, Mountain West, PAC-12, SEC and Sun Belt
- The other five spots go to whomever they want it to go to.  This would probably be filled by Big 10 and SEC teams only.
- First round of the playoffs, you can play at the home field of the higher seed.
- Then the round of eight can be played at one of the big bowl sites as one game will be played there each:  Rose, Orange, Cotton, Sugar
- The final four and championship games can be all played on one of the big bowl sites and rotate over the four years and then recycle
- The remaining teams can then play in bowl games anywhere but not in the Rose, Orange, Cotton or Sugar locations

its a stupid idea.  it hurts sports when they do this because the media winds up focusing the bulk of its attention on the mediocre teams on the edge and ignoring the really good teams.  then when the really good team wins, people don't even notice.  plus you get all the whining from the 13th best team and their fans about how they should have been 12.  then you get athletes skipping games to rest in the regular season.  

one fix i had was to award different levels of trophies to champions based upon their regular season accomplishments.  for example, an NFL team that goes undefeated and wins the super bowl would earn the Shula Trophy instead of a Lombardi, named after the head coach who first went undefeated and won a super bowl. it would be a gold version of the Lombardi.  an NFL team that just loses 1 game en route to a super bowl victory earns the Madden Trophy instead of a Lombardi, as Madden's Raiders were the first to win a super bowl with just 1 loss. it would be silver like the Lombardi but have extra decoration on it.  all other super bowl winners get the basic Lombardi Trophy.

1 hour ago, posty said:

I still wonder why they can't figure this out at the "FCS" level but have no issues at all of the other levels in all other sports...

This is very simple to do:

- Get rid of all of the current bowl games.
- Make the playoff a 16-team bracket.
- Each 11 conference winners get into the bracket.  The current 11 conferences are:  ACC, American, Big 12, Big Ten, C-USA, Independent, MAC, Mountain West, PAC-12, SEC and Sun Belt
- The other five spots go to whomever they want it to go to.  This would probably be filled by Big 10 and SEC teams only.
- First round of the playoffs, you can play at the home field of the higher seed.
- Then the round of eight can be played at one of the big bowl sites as one game will be played there each:  Rose, Orange, Cotton, Sugar
- The final four and championship games can be all played on one of the big bowl sites and rotate over the four years and then recycle
- The remaining teams can then play in bowl games anywhere but not in the Rose, Orange, Cotton or Sugar locations

I don't really see what you are proposing would be viewed as a reasonable option.  Just on the face of it... there are 3 schools in the SEC with a 5-7 (overall), record, that rank as the worst teams in the conference.  Outside of Northwestern, there are 3 teams in the Big 10 with a 4-8 (overall), record, that rank as the worst teams in the conference.  All 6 of those schools are probably better than the conference champs from C-USA, MAC, MWC, etc.  To put schools like Texas State, Toledo, and James Madison in a playoff bracket with schools like Ohio St, Georgia, and Michigan would make it ridiculous.

I think it's just a matter of time until the power schools break from the NCAA and there will be the "College Football League" and the NCAA.  The Power 5 conferences will end up creating their own league and other schools will have to apply.  I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Power 5 schools aren't even allowed in... schools like Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Rutgers, and alike, who are never really competitive.  I imagine there'd be like 8 or so Big 10 & SEC schools with 3 or 4 schools from the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 creating a 24 (or so), school league that operates outside of the NCAA's purview.  The mid-majors and alike would just play within the NCAA and probably create "football" conferences where all the schools get an equal share of money.

Meh.  Usually 2 teams out of the 4 have close to no real shot.   Now we will just have 10.  I understand it is all about money.  So whatever.   Don't care much either way.    I guess giving some other programs and fans hope isn't a bad thing.  

There are only 2 or 3 really good teams in any given year. This is dumb, 8 is too many, 12 is sillyness.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't really see what you are proposing would be viewed as a reasonable option.  Just on the face of it... there are 3 schools in the SEC with a 5-7 (overall), record, that rank as the worst teams in the conference.  Outside of Northwestern, there are 3 teams in the Big 10 with a 4-8 (overall), record, that rank as the worst teams in the conference.  All 6 of those schools are probably better than the conference champs from C-USA, MAC, MWC, etc.  To put schools like Texas State, Toledo, and James Madison in a playoff bracket with schools like Ohio St, Georgia, and Michigan would make it ridiculous.

I think it's just a matter of time until the power schools break from the NCAA and there will be the "College Football League" and the NCAA.  The Power 5 conferences will end up creating their own league and other schools will have to apply.  I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Power 5 schools aren't even allowed in... schools like Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Rutgers, and alike, who are never really competitive.  I imagine there'd be like 8 or so Big 10 & SEC schools with 3 or 4 schools from the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 creating a 24 (or so), school league that operates outside of the NCAA's purview.  The mid-majors and alike would just play within the NCAA and probably create "football" conferences where all the schools get an equal share of money.

Maybe, but to get a cut of that money would be very beneficial to those smaller schools...  That is why you see the major teams play these lower level schools during the regular season...  The small schools don't mind because they get a nice payday...  Them making the bracket would give them an even nicer payday...  If they don't want to get smoked in those games, then maybe they should go back to the FCS level and leave the FBS level...  That is why it is there in the first place...

31 minutes ago, Reality said:

There are only 2 or 3 really good teams in any given year. This is dumb, 8 is too many, 12 is sillyness.

this is why college football sux.

1 hour ago, posty said:

Maybe, but to get a cut of that money would be very beneficial to those smaller schools...  That is why you see the major teams play these lower level schools during the regular season...  The small schools don't mind because they get a nice payday...  Them making the bracket would give them an even nicer payday...  If they don't want to get smoked in those games, then maybe they should go back to the FCS level and leave the FBS level...  That is why it is there in the first place...

Oh sure, I know why they do it and that's fine for regular season games, but that doesn't belong in the playoffs.  Even if the big schools split from the mid-majors and alike, they can each still throw in 2 games to kick their season off, so those smaller schools can still get their cut.

Tavion Thomas sitting out PAC-10 championship game to get ready for NFL draft. A 12 team playoff fixes that sh1t. A win tonight and they are playing for a chance to win a title. 

but, but, but, what about the title?