TommyGavin

Top 3 albums favorites all time

42 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

1. You are correct

2.  However the concept of an 'Album' has been dying and is all but dead now.  It's all bout the singles, and the coup de grace was the streaming services like Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Pandora.  Most people under 35 don't listen to an 'Album' from start to finish anymore.

Funny. Old fart here. 
Started this thread from listening to Derek and the Dominoes while trying to go to sleep. Couldn’t sleep. Such a good album. 

Same as others have said, but ask me tomorrow and this could be totally different.

40 oz. To Freedom - Sublime

Some Girls - Rolling Stones

Outlandos d'Amour - Police

2 hours ago, Big Guy said:

I hear this is really good, but haven't heard it yet.

they're also a band I've been interested in but have yet to get into them

Definitely one of my faves. Empire is good too but Mindcrime is the sh!t

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Definitely one of my faves. Empire is good too but Mindcrime is the sh!t

Empire is good as well, but I would die a happy man if I never had to hear Silent Lucidity ever again.   

1 hour ago, TommyGavin said:

Funny. Old fart here. 
Started this thread from listening to Derek and the Dominoes while trying to go to sleep. Couldn’t sleep. Such a good album. 

https://youtu.be/Q1RaBdSCjAY

3 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

1. You are correct

2.  However the concept of an 'Album' has been dying and is all but dead now.  It's all bout the singles, and the coup de grace was the streaming services like Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Pandora.  Most people under 35 don't listen to an 'Album' from start to finish anymore.

I agree and disagree with #2.   I agree that is how a lot of it is consumed now, especially in the younger demographic.   I would guess there is a pretty solid line of division between people pre- and post Napster and the like as far as how it's consumed.    That said, Spotify of course has all the albums, and that's still how I consume the majority of my music.   It's not like bands from 2010+ only release singles.  There are tons of new albums for old farts like all of us to consume.  

In the end, I was just poking at you guys.   I am 47, and I'd guess that places me middle of the pack or slightly younger in the demographics on these boards.   It's just usually predictable that anytime a question about movies and music comes up like this, it's 70s rock and 70s-80s movies.   It's what a lot grew up with, so of course it's the faves.   

I think the way more interesting question would be top 3 post-2000 albums.    Then you start to see if we have more stuffy old farts who list the newest Maiden and Metallica albums as their faves.  You know the ones that piss and moan that there isn't any good music anymore.  ;)   Or do we have the cool hip old farts who still seek out new music? 

1 hour ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

On a deserted island for life…

Rolling Stones- Hot Rocks

Get your YaYa's out

So many possibilities..hard to pick just 3. Basing this off many things..how much I like it now, when I first heard it, how often I go back to it, influence over other music I like..

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

The Cure - Disintegration

The National - Boxer

Others in the conversation..Iron Maiden - Killers, Slayer - Reign in Blood, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Beastie Boys - Check Your Head, Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, Dinosaur Jr - Where You Been, Built to Spill - Perfect from Now On

Milo Goes To College - Descendants 

Unfun - Jawbreaker 

Cheshire Cat - Blink 182 

Honorable mention: Day Three of My New Life - Knapsack

3 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Unfun - Jawbreaker 

Cheshire Cat - Blink 182 

Honorable mention: Day Three of My New Life - Knapsack

:shocking:

where do you rate nickleback?

R.EM. Lifes Rich Pageant was a great album. But they are disqualified due to the subsequent Shiny Happy People from ever being considered. 

sgt. pepper gets a nod.

1 minute ago, TommyGavin said:

R.E.M was never good. 

That album was great. And the ones before it were damn good as well. I’m amazed no one said Joshua Tree. Another all time great album, along with Damn The Torpedoes. 

3 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Not Top 3 for me but a great album.

15 minutes ago, MDC said:

Not Top 3 for me but a great album.

It's the OG album, it's there by default 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That album was great. And the ones before it were damn good as well. I’m amazed no one said Joshua Tree. Another all time great album, along with Damn The Torpedoes. 

Yes for the Tom Petty 

I despise anything U2 - they are just terrible. I know I said it before but I met them back in the early 80’s. I mean damn I was only like 14 or so. Distant family member played drums and his band opened up for U2 in NYC and my grandfather took us to see him. 

OK I’ll give a little props to Rattle and Hum.  But not even in my top 500.