Sign in to follow this  
kozmiq

I wonder if people posting on political forum websites

sit around and pretend that they know what they're talking about when discussing fantasy football and / or sports in general.

Smell what I'm cooking, do you ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

sit around and pretend that they know what they're talking about when discussing fantasy football and / or sports in general.

Based on my last few years in my main league I clearly don’t know what I’m doing anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Based on my last few years in my main league I clearly don’t know what I’m doing anymore. 

Methinks that you have missed the point.

2 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Ban metal football helmets

:smacksforehead:

When somebody figures it out, they're gonna say "that's funny".  Then, then , then they're gonna say = "Hey, wait a minute .. are you making fun of us ?"

19 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

Methinks that you have missed the point.

Now I get it. Mmm not bad. I still suck and it’s starting to bother me and it’s completely ridiculous for a grown man to be bothered by it. Just venting. Can you help? 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Now I get it. Mmm not bad. I still suck and it’s starting to bother me and it’s completely ridiculous for a grown man to be bothered by it. Just venting. Can you help? 

:teabag:

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, if you're talking about sucking in Fantasy Football, I probably can help.  If you're talking about sucking a political discussions, the answer is no.

6 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

Well, if you're talking about sucking in Fantasy Football, I probably can help.  If you're talking about sucking a political discussions, the answer is no.

I have high hopes for you. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I have high hopes for you. 

And I have high hopes ......... for me, too.  

😎

1 hour ago, kozmiq said:

hell, sports owners, GMs and coaches make tons of mistakes.  you think people discussing it on a forum should be held to a higher standard?

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

hell, sports owners, GMs and coaches make tons of mistakes.  you think people discussing it on a forum should be held to a higher standard?

:stillshakingmyhead:

I get what you're saying. :cheers:  I don't talk much politics here because I wouldn't really know what I'm talking about.

Also, I want to say I am the league Fantasy Football Champion of the only league I play in.

1 hour ago, kozmiq said:

I don't think that anyone comes to a fantasy football website with the idea of discussing politics, or anything else (for that matter) outside of fantasy football.

In theory they should know what they are talking about as far as fantasy football is concerned. However, I have found in my experience that the information I find on Twitter is much better and surprisingly people are more civil and less insulting than is found on some fantasy football forums. 

5 minutes ago, paulinstl said:

Pennington or McNair?

Tommy Maddox - over or under 5000 yards? 

Also, I've always wondered who is the swiftest reciever in the NFL ?

4 minutes ago, squistion said:

I don't think that anyone comes to a fantasy football website with the idea of discussing politics, or anything else (for that matter) outside of fantasy football.

In theory they should know what they are talking about as far as fantasy football is concerned. However, I have found in my experience that the information I find on Twitter is much better and surprisingly people are more civil and less insulting than is found on some fantasy football forums. 

i think you need to add a phone number to access twitter in some cases which likely chills speech.

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

However, I have found in my experience that the information I find on Twitter is much better and surprisingly people are more civil and less insulting than is found on some fantasy football forums. 

Well...There is the whole thingie that we don't get bannored here as much as twitter for voicing our opinions. :dunno:

just sayin'

Just now, SUXBNME said:

Well...There is the whole thingie that we don't get bannored here as much as twitter for voicing our opinions. :dunno:

just sayin'

I've never been bannored (?) on Twitter for voicing my opinion or for anything, actually (maybe they like my cool photos of birds).

5 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

i think you need to add a phone number to access twitter in some cases which likely chills speech.

I believe that is to verify the account if it is hacked so they know that it is the actual user - I think they send a text to the phone with a code you can then use so that you can prove that it is really you who is trying to access the account. 

5 minutes ago, squistion said:

I've never been bannored (?) on Twitter for voicing my opinion or for anything, actually (maybe they like my cool photos of birds).

Well, good for you, I guess. 
Just know that tons of people have been bannored there for voicing their opinions, unlike here, where we still be complete asswholes to each other without the fear of Mike shutting down our voices.  Well, within reason, anyhoo.

I'm guessing FBGs was more like Twitter.  Either way, you're prolly a complete liberal woke dik, and I'm an old grumpy POS. 

We prolly have a lot in common aside from politics :cheers:

here in America we made freedom of speech a priority.  and in particular, freedom of political speech is emphasized.

2 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

I'm an old grumpy POS. 

What do you mean I don't get your history.  Obviously, I do .. and agree with you.

Just now, SUXBNME said:

Well, good for you, I guess. 
Just know that tons of people have been bannored there for voicing their opinions, unlike here, where we still be complete asswholes to each other without the fear of Mike shutting down our voices.  Well, within reason, anyhoo.

I'm guessing FBGs was more like Twitter.  Either way, you're prolly a complete liberal woke dik, and I'm an old grumpy POS. 

We prolly have a lot in common aside from politics :cheers:

Hardly, I got suspended over a dozen times at FBGs and half of the suspensions were completely erroneous (with a mod misreading or misunderstanding what my post actually said). 

34 minutes ago, squistion said:

surprisingly, most internet forums start out with a particular topic in mind (sports, video games, investing etc) and in many cases, the original topic dies and the only active section is the off-topic / political section.  so you might be very wrong there.  eventually, a lot of people go to a forum to head for the off-topic / political section.

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

surprisingly, most internet forums start out with a particular topic in mind (sports, video games, investing etc) and in many cases, the original topic dies and the only active section is the off-topic / political section.  so you might be very wrong there.  eventually, a lot of people go to a forum to head for the off-topic / political section.

It would never occur to me to go to (let's say) a Classic Rock Music discussion forum and expect to find people talking about politics or even that they would have a politics section. If a website is devoted to a particular topic of interest, I honestly wouldn't expect anything else there (or would want to get involved in anything off-topic discussions). 

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

It would never occur to me to go to (let's say) a Classic Rock Music discussion forum and expect to find people talking about politics or even that they would have a politics section. If a website is devoted to a particular topic of interest, I honestly wouldn't expect anything else there (or would want to get involved in anything off-topic discussions). 

actually, if you go on the internet seeking political discussion, you are very likely to google something like "political forum" or "off topic forum" and wind up getting sent to something like a classic rock music discussion forum. 

8 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Maybe .. maybe not.  People who are actually well informed about politics, care not whether they are well connected to sports.  Sports guys want so badly to appear well connected to politics and wordly affairs that they beg for acceptance by voicing things they read on websites of their persuasion.  Imho.

Just now, kozmiq said:

Maybe .. maybe not.  People who are actually well informed about politics, care not whether they are well connected to sports.  Sports guys want so badly to appear well connected to politics and wordly affairs that they beg for acceptance by voicing things they read on websites of their persuasion.  Imho.

ive seen large political forums emerge on video game forums, investing forums, programming forums, tech forums, pro wrestling forums.  not sure its sports guys specifically.

Just now, JustinCharge said:

actually, if you go on the internet seeking political discussion, you are very likely to google something like "political forum" or "off topic forum" and wind up getting sent to something like a classic rock music discussion forum. 

I get all the political discussion I want on Twitter and by many that I follow who are knowledgeable on the subject, I have no desire to seek out some obscure forum that might have an off-topic political discussion.

For example, CRZ (Christopher Robin Zimmerman) used to do these hilarious pro wrestling recaps in the 1990s.  Then around 2000 he got sick of it all and stopped.  But he left his forum website up.  The pro-wrestling forum was hot but the political forum was also very popular circa 2002 etc.  The pro-wrestling got sparse but the political forum was propping the place up.  Nowadays everyone drifted away.

https://the-w.com/

i will say CRZ was originally posting his recaps on usenet but got really popular and opened his forum later on.

All of the same personalities existed there as they do here.  and all of the same topics and musings.  even this one.  its all recycled as new people join forums and old people leave forums, each one thinking they have a hot take when it was discussed to death 30 years ago.

I  was at FBG in year one (2001) after theHuddle imploded. They weren't particularly welcoming, instead they were such assholes to us.  I was very careful and walking on eggshells with whatever I posted which wasn't terribly fun. Then one day, when one of the Huddle's best, most well regarded posters got banned for no reason, maybe it was Cyric, I don't remember anymore, I posted that we needed to be more careful and discerning when using the ban-hammer.

That was when I got banned.

I was a grown-ass adult with dignity and self respect. I wasn't going to allow myself to be thought policed by tantrum throwers who were emotionally six years old. So I ditched FBG and never went back.

8 hours ago, squistion said:

That is because you parrot what the government media says.