Sign in to follow this  
BeenHereBefore

Why Should I Care About Hunter Thompson ?

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yes and it was very similar to the Kardashians. He got in with a group that would feed his demons and give the world insight to something they knew very little about.  

His immersion in the Hell's Angels played a huge role in creating the demons and his twisted world view. It was culture shock.

His writings prior to that experience were pretty mild-mannered by comparison.

Plus these were the times. The 1960s and 1970s. Drugs. Anti-establishment. Counter culture. 

I think his last great book was Curse of Lono in 1983, and it was pretty much downhill after that. 

24 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

You're such an ignorant dumbass,  a ceaseless fountain of lies and misinformation, and you've really stepped in it on this one.

I've read almost every book and magazine article he's ever written.

He loathed the far right and despised Nixon.

You won't read this, but:

https://mashable.com/article/freak-kingdom-hunter-s-thompson

He was a rabid crusader against the far right and what he considered fascism. A book was written about it.

I should congratulate you for thoroughly owning Hardcore Troubadour. Except that it doesn’t seem to be that hard a task. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

I should congratulate you for thoroughly owning Hardcore Troubadour. Except that it doesn’t seem to be that hard a task. 

It's not. These are the same people who think fascism, the Nazis and the KKK are decisively on the left and that Fox News isn't MSM.

To think Hunter S. Thompson wouldn't write vicious things about Trump and MAGA is borderline insane. He spent most of his career railing against that mindset.

Just now, Pimpadeaux said:

It's not. These are the same people who think fascism, the Nazis and the KKK are decisively on the left and that Fox News isn't MSM.

To think Hunter S. Thompson wouldn't write vicious things about Trump and MAGA is borderline insane. He spent most of his career railing against that mindset.

He would hate you and your toadies for the military industrial complex. He would be exactly like Jimmy Dore. 

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

His immersion in the Hell's Angels played a huge role in creating the demons and his twisted world view. It was culture shock.

His writings prior to that experience were pretty mild-mannered by comparison.

Plus these were the times. The 1960s and 1970s. Drugs. Anti-establishment. Counter culture. 

I think his last great book was Curse of Lono in 1983, and it was pretty much downhill after that. 

He always had the drug and alcohol demons.  Even if he didn't the same happened with the Kardashians.  Prior to the reality show they were a fairly normal Brentwater family.  They were a culture shock.  Plus these were the times.  The internet, reality TV, shock over substance.  

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He would hate you and your toadies for the military industrial complex. He would be exactly like Jimmy Dore. 

I don't have any toadies, nor do I have anything to do with a military industrial complex.

🤣

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

He always had the drug and alcohol demons.  Even if he didn't the same happened with the Kardashians.  Prior to the reality show they were a fairly normal Brentwater family.  They were a culture shock.  Plus these were the times.  The internet, reality TV, shock over substance.  

So I guess we have to condemn and dismiss any writer, musician, composer and any other artist who struggled with drugs and alcohol.

Hemmingway - GONE!

Mozart - YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!

Cobain  - BAN HIS MUSIC!

Salvador Dali - FOCK YOU!!!

Every focking rock band in the Hall of Fame - FOCK YOU, TOO!

What the fock in the Amish is going on around here?

🤣

So I guess we have to condemn and dismiss any writer, musician, composer and any other artist who struggled with drugs and alcohol.

Hemmingway - GONE!

Mozart - YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!

Cobain  - BAN HIS MUSIC!

Salvador Dali - FOCK YOU!!!

Every focking rock band in the Hall of Fame - FOCK YOU, TOO!

What the fock in the Amish is going on around here?

🤣

Why are you so sensitive?  I never said to dismiss Hunter because of his drug and alcohol abuse.  Let's just not pretend he is anywhere close to Mozart, Hemmingway or Dali.  He is closer to the Kardashians than any of the individuals you mentioned.  The people you mentioned were also not so self centered they didn't give a sh!t about their kids and offed themselves.  As a father I would like to think you would understand putting your children above yourself.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Why are you so sensitive?  I never said to dismiss Hunter because of his drug and alcohol abuse.  Let's just not pretend he is anywhere close to Mozart, Hemmingway or Dali.  He is closer to the Kardashians than any of the individuals you mentioned.  The people you mentioned were also not so self centered they didn't give a sh!t about their kids and offed themselves.  As a father I would like to think you would understand putting your children above yourself.  

Yeah, Hunter S. Thompson was just like the Kardashians.

🤣

Yeah, Hunter S. Thompson was just like the Kardashians.

🤣

Yeah and he is Mozart.

Hunter Thompson >>>>>>>>>> Hunter Biden 

Let it be written, let it be done.  Lets move along. 

Just now, KSB2424 said:

Hunter Thompson >>>>>>>>>> Hunter Biden 

Let it be written, let it be done.  Lets move along. 

Fock that. 

@Pimpadeauxand I are having an old school geek club discussion that doesn't involve focked up irrational politics.  

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yeah and he is Mozart.

He sold millions of books and created a new form of journalism.

Sad that we have to cancel him because he consumed a lot of drugs and alcohol.

😪

3 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

He sold millions of books and created a new form of journalism.

Sad that we have to cancel him because he consumed a lot of drugs and alcohol.

😪

Who is canceling him?

The Kardashians were on TV for twenty years, made billions and created a new form of TV.  They also abused drugs and alcohol.  

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Who is canceling him?

The Kardashians were on TV for twenty years, made billions and created a new form of TV.  They also abused drugs and alcohol.  

You and your framing of him as a "drug addled alcoholic."

Now we have to cancel the Kardashians, because they have a history of alcohol, drugs and ... SEX.

😱

I bet he would have railed about Trumps misogyny.  Lol. 

You and your framing of him as a "drug addled alcoholic."

Now we have to cancel the Kardashians, because they have a history of alcohol, drugs and ... SEX.

😱

It wasn't framing simply describing.  I haven't mentioned canceling anyone.  I simply think Hunter was not some literary or cultural god.

Why are you so hell bent on canceling everything?  Is that what you learned at that ultra conservative college you attended? Cancel everyone that disagrees with you? 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I bet he would have railed about Trumps misogyny.  Lol. 

He was anti-establishment and anti-dooshery.

He was an equal-opportunity offender. 

Oh, so he would have loved Hillary, Biden and the merging of media and the government.  Lol. 

I agree.  He was Bill Maher not Hemmingway. 

Just now, Bert said:

It wasn't framing simply describing.  I haven't mentioned canceling anyone.  I simply think Hunter was not some literary or cultural god.

Why are you so hell bent on canceling everything?  Is that what you learned at that ultra conservative college you attended? Cancel everyone that disagrees with you? 

The only thing I'd like to cancel is you making some moronic comparison of Hunter S. Thompson to the Kardashians.

Funny thing about the literary god thing. The whole time I was reading that Kentucky Derby article he had written, I was editing the sh!t out of it in my mind. The boy was wordy, and conciseness would have put more power in his punches.

Example:

"By noon on Friday I was still without credentials and still unable to locate Steadman. For all I knew he’d changed his mind and gone back to London. Finally, after giving up on Steadman and trying unsuccessfully to reach my man in the press office, I decided my only hope for credentials was to go out to the track and confront the man in person, with no warning — demanding only one pass now, instead of two, and talking very fast with a strange lilt in my voice, like a man trying hard to control some inner frenzy. On the way out, I stopped at the motel desk to cash a check. Then, as a useless afterthought, I asked if by any wild chance Mr. Steadman had checked in."

My re-write:

"I still had no credentials and a bead on Steadman by noon Friday. Maybe he'd changed his mind and returned to London. Giving up on Steadman and unable to reach my press-office man, my credential hopes turned to an ambush track confrontation with him, demanding one pass, for now, talking fast with a voice lilt, meant to sound like a discomfort-inducing, hard-to-control inner frenzy.

On the way out of the hotel, I cashed a check at the desk, an afterthought compelling the question of whether Steadman had checked in."

The brilliance of his writing is rooted in his immersive experiences, the attitude, the perspective, the experience, the hilarity and his own insertion into the punctuated craziness.

I view Gonzo journalism in the same way I do music developments such as punk rock, which is so much about attitude, perspective and humor. He was sloppy and wordy, but it moved the sticks from the spot that Jack Kerouac set the previous first down.

24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Oh, so he would have loved Hillary, Biden and the merging of media and the government.  Lol. 

He would have hated it all, but he most certainly hated the far right with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. 

Can you see that?

He might have referred to Hillary as a "cankle-sloshing cuckold whose voice emulates the sound of fornicating cats, a corrupt harpy with a political platform as putrid as a three-day-old dead body in an interstate ditch in the Texas summer sun."

• Like 1

When I was in college and was assigned to read "Fear and Loathing" I thought it would be apropos to read it while stoned.  I think I got a D on the quiz.  Couldn't remember shat about what I had read.

He was a self-absorbed douche.  He would've hated the right.  He would've hated the left.  He would've hated everyone here - especially rusty. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bert said:

He turned words into cudgels he used to assail the smug.  Big fan.

7 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

When I was in college and was assigned to read "Fear and Loathing" I thought it would be apropos to read it while stoned.  I think I got a D on the quiz.  Couldn't remember shat about what I had read.

I read it on acid in the train station in NYC waiting for a train delayed by extreme snows in Rochester.

9 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

The only thing I'd like to cancel is you making some moronic comparison of Hunter S. Thompson to the Kardashians.

Funny thing about the literary god thing. The whole time I was reading that Kentucky Derby article he had written, I was editing the sh!t out of it in my mind. The boy was wordy, and conciseness would have put more power in his punches.

Example:

"By noon on Friday I was still without credentials and still unable to locate Steadman. For all I knew he’d changed his mind and gone back to London. Finally, after giving up on Steadman and trying unsuccessfully to reach my man in the press office, I decided my only hope for credentials was to go out to the track and confront the man in person, with no warning — demanding only one pass now, instead of two, and talking very fast with a strange lilt in my voice, like a man trying hard to control some inner frenzy. On the way out, I stopped at the motel desk to cash a check. Then, as a useless afterthought, I asked if by any wild chance Mr. Steadman had checked in."

My re-write:

"I still had no credentials and a bead on Steadman by noon Friday. Maybe he'd changed his mind and returned to London. Giving up on Steadman and unable to reach my press-office man, my credential hopes turned to an ambush track confrontation with him, demanding one pass, for now, talking fast with a voice lilt, meant to sound like a discomfort-inducing, hard-to-control inner frenzy.

On the way out of the hotel, I cashed a check at the desk, an afterthought compelling the question of whether Steadman had checked in."

The brilliance of his writing is rooted in his immersive experiences, the attitude, the perspective, the experience, the hilarity and his own insertion into the punctuated craziness.

I view Gonzo journalism in the same way I do music developments such as punk rock, which is so much about attitude, perspective and humor. He was sloppy and wordy, but it moved the sticks from the spot that Jack Kerouac set the previous first down.

:lol:   

11 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

You don’t have to become MAGA to take on the modern day left. The left once loved Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi and Jimmy Dore. They certainly aren’t MAGA.