wiffleball

What's your 80s band?

9 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

"Death Magnetic" is my favorite Metallica album. "All Nightmare Long" could have been the soundtrack for the hellish night and aftermath of Hurricane Ike down there in Buttmont. I love that album.

But I also love St. Anger, so what do I know?

St. Anger?????? Really???? That was probably Metallica's biggest failure.  It was the pinnacle of the "Metallica lost their way" era.  

My 80's band would be....

The FIXX

When I got the album "Reach the Beach" in 1983 I wanted to shed all that came before it

I've since matured and appreciate all the great stuff from the 70's

On 3/8/2023 at 11:19 PM, SUXBNME said:

F### yeah!  That's one helluva cover!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

NSFW 

1990's but still awesome 

14 hours ago, Bert said:

St. Anger?????? Really???? That was probably Metallica's biggest failure.  It was the pinnacle of the "Metallica lost their way" era.  

"Load," "Reload" and covering Bob Seger and Thin Lizzy were where Metallica lost its way for me. Grunge had come along and knocked them off their high horse, and James Hetfield was a mess.

St. Anger was the perfect middle finger and course correction. It's a nasty, brutal exercise in self-reflection and self-flaggelation, a raw nerve void of complicated arrangements and wankarama guitar solos. It administers one kick in the nuts after another.

It's a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, and I love it that it p!ssed off a chunk of the Metallica fan base and serves as the group's most inaccessible album, kind of like "Presence" is for Led Zeppelin. 

13 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

"Load," "Reload" and covering Bob Seger and Thin Lizzy were where Metallica lost its way for me. Grunge had come along and knocked them off their high horse, and James Hetfield was a mess.

St. Anger was the perfect middle finger and course correction. It's a nasty, brutal exercise in self-reflection and self-flaggelation, a raw nerve void of complicated arrangements and wankarama guitar solos. It administers one kick in the nuts after another.

It's a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, and I love it that it p!ssed off a chunk of the Metallica fan base and serves as the group's most inaccessible album, kind of like "Presence" is for Led Zeppelin. 

Opinions very.  St. Anger was a "look at us we can still play hard". The black album pissed off a much larger chunk of Metallica fans. Hardwired was a FU we are going back to what made Metallica Metallica.  :cheers:

On 3/9/2023 at 3:17 PM, Bert said:

Kill'em All, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets are still my 3 favorite albums.  Kill'em All simply blew me away the first time I listened to it.  

I listen to those and Justice for All all the tine. :cheers:

5 hours ago, Bert said:

Opinions very.  St. Anger was a "look at us we can still play hard". The black album pissed off a much larger chunk of Metallica fans. Hardwired was a FU we are going back to what made Metallica Metallica.  :cheers:

I like what I've heard so far from the new one, which comes out in April. 

I don't know if I ever told this story here, but back in 1989, they were on the "Justice" tour and had a stop in Odessa. The paper sent me to write a review.

I hadn't listened to them at all, so I was hearing them for the first time and didn't like it at all. It just sounded like a bunch of noise to me.

I wrote an unflattering review of the show, even noting the moment when Hetfield farted into a mic, likely making it history's loudest fart. That show was LOUD.

A week or so later, I got an unsigned letter from Athens, Ga. It totally ripped me and my review, saying stuff like, "Judging by your mugshot, you're not the kind of person that belongs at a Metallica show."

It was very well-written and ripped me a new now. It concluded with "And Justice For All" and a little drawing of the album cover. I looked up their tour dates, and Metallic played in Athens, Ga., on the day the letter was postmarked.

I have to assume it was someone in the band who wrote the letter, but no way in hell were they going to sign it and give me prized autograph.

A week or so later, I saw the "One" video on MTV and immediately bought the album. And then I went out and bought the other three.

I'd felt pretty bad over the years for that crapass review. Fast forward to a few years ago, when I took my youngest son, a huge Metallica fan, to a show in Dallas.

Before the show, I went on the Metallica page on Facebook, wrote a heartfelt apology about dissing their 1989 show in Odessa and noted that I was bringing my son to the Dallas show.

29 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I like what I've heard so far from the new one, which comes out in April. 

I don't know if I ever told this story here, but back in 1989, they were on the "Justice" tour and had a stop in Odessa. The paper sent me to write a review.

I hadn't listened to them at all, so I was hearing them for the first time and didn't like it at all. It just sounded like a bunch of noise to me.

I wrote an unflattering review of the show, even noting the moment when Hetfield farted into a mic, likely making it history's loudest fart. That show was LOUD.

A week or so later, I got an unsigned letter from Athens, Ga. It totally ripped me and my review, saying stuff like, "Judging by your mugshot, you're not the kind of person that belongs at a Metallica show."

It was very well-written and ripped me a new now. It concluded with "And Justice For All" and a little drawing of the album cover. I looked up their tour dates, and Metallic played in Athens, Ga., on the day the letter was postmarked.

I have to assume it was someone in the band who wrote the letter, but no way in hell were they going to sign it and give me prized autograph.

A week or so later, I saw the "One" video on MTV and immediately bought the album. And then I went out and bought the other three.

I'd felt pretty bad over the years for that crapass review. Fast forward to a few years ago, when I took my youngest son, a huge Metallica fan, to a show in Dallas.

Before the show, I went on the Metallica page on Facebook, wrote a heartfelt apology about dissing their 1989 show in Odessa and noted that I was bringing my son to the Dallas show.

Cool!

You seem to have loved being in journalism.

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Cool!

You seem to have loved being in journalism.

It was a pretty wild adventure, but I don't miss it one bit. Local media is horrific. The big-city newspapers seem to be doing OK. 

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

It was a pretty wild adventure, but I don't miss it one bit. Local media is horrific. The big-city newspapers seem to be doing OK. 

Interesting.  I don’t keep up with local newspapers but I can tell you the Chronicle has become total crap.  

I think losing the Post allowed the ultra liberal owners to run amuck unchecked and it ruined the Chronicle. 

52 minutes ago, Bert said:

Interesting.  I don’t keep up with local newspapers but I can tell you the Chronicle has become total crap.  

I think losing the Post allowed the ultra liberal owners to run amuck unchecked and it ruined the Chronicle. 

For me, the Chronicle went downhill when The Wall Street Journal kicked its ass and won a Pulitzer for the Enron coverage. They fired some excellent journalists, including the managing editor, over that one, and the culture there was never the same. Then they had that source-fabrication scandal not long ago.

The Chronicle's print circulation is down to 65,000, which is incredible. The Buttmont newspaper was about that big when I was there.

34 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

For me, the Chronicle went downhill when The Wall Street Journal kicked its ass and won a Pulitzer for the Enron coverage. They fired some excellent journalists, including the managing editor, over that one, and the culture there was never the same. Then they had that source-fabrication scandal not long ago.

The Chronicle's print circulation is down to 65,000, which is incredible. The Buttmont newspaper was about that big when I was there.

The Enron story was definitely the final nail in the coffin.  

That really opened my eyes to how political the Pulitzer really is.  There were things the WSJ got completely wrong yet still won.  

10 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

The Smiths 

I like the Smiths, I just never thought of them as the band of the 80’s. 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:38 PM, kutulu said:

1990's but still awesome 

There probably isn't a bigger Metallica fan than me on the board, I stopped counting how many shows I've seen at 50 and would guess it's about 65 now. I met Cliff before and after the show when they opened for Ozzy in 86. That said, their new album may be the best they have put out in 35 years. 

• Like 1