Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Didn't the Giants offer Barkley $13M a year for the first two years of a new contract?

And he turned it down so the Giants slapped him with the tag. That's pretty normal and I bet they work things out. 

But my question would be, why did Barkley turn that kind of money down? Wouldn't $13M make him the 4th highest RB in the league? Behind McCaffrey, Henry, and Kamara?

Barkley's injury history isn't all that great. I hold nothing against players getting what they can, but he seriously isn't going to sit out if they can't come to a deal would he? How did that work out for LeVeon Bell?

Like I said, I don't mind guys trying to get what they can, but seriously, this dude has already made something like $32M while missing over 20 games due to injury while he played in 60. Not a great ratio. Just take what they offer or quit football already.  

That info is not confirmed, and the report it wasn't guaranteed money anyway...

If running backs are smart, they'd start asking for lower yearly salaries with guarantees & incentives.  For example, instead of asking for a 4 yr/$50M deal with $30M guaranteed (because you'll never get it... aside for the few guys who put monster numbers every year), ask for a 3 yr/$25M guaranteed deal with incentives that can get you $40M.  Make the incentives based on stats in relation to other players at your salary level.  Again, for example, if you're asking for $8.3M AAV and you want incentives to get you $3M, your thresholds should be within say 5% of someone who made $11.3M the year before.  Aaron Jones made $11.5M last year.  He had 272 total touches, 1516 total yards, & 7 TD's.  If you get 259 total touches, you get $750k.  If you get 1441 total yards, you get another $750k.  If you get 7 TD's, you get another $750k.  If you exceed any number by 15%, you get another $750k... so 313 touches, 1744 yards, and 8 TD's, get's you another $2.25M.  That year, instead of $8.3M you'll make $12.8M.  Do that 2 more times and you'll be around $38M.  You can even make more tiers... get another $750k if you exceed any number by 20%, another $750k for 25%, etc.

Last year, Barkley had 352 total touches, 2028 total yards, and 15 total TD's.  That's a 30% improvement on touches and yards and a 100% on TD's.  Just pick your percentage thresholds and dollar values.

Worst case scenario you get your guaranteed money in 3 equal instalments.  Hit a couple incentive markers, you just made more money.  Teams would rather be on the hook for lower guaranteed money for short terms and have to pay you more because you played great, than pay you in advanced for something that statistically, is unlikely.

Also, the NFLPA should demand incoming RB's contract lengths to be 3 years with a 4th year option instead of 4 years with a 5th, for first round picks and 3 year deals for everyone else.

They really should limit the rookie deals for RBs. Give them 3 years not 5 years.

As long as that's happening they're gonna get screwed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

They really should limit the rookie deals for RBs. Give them 3 years not 5 years.

Good point. Rbs get a raw deal... most decline before pay-day years.

I like your idea of 3-year deals, giving Rbs way more leverage.

15 hours ago, polecatt said:

Interesting idea.  It might make RBs even less likely to get drafted in the first round (where all other positions can get locked up for 5 years) putting further downward pressure on RB compensation.

I believe there is a "pay-for-performance" pool of money that gets distributed to players that outplay their contracts - it's mostly intended for undrafted free agents who end up becoming starters.  I think a similar program should be set up for RBs where significant payouts (on top of any contract) are made for RBs in the top half of the league in carries, touches, yards - it would just be an acknowledgement that the prime years for most RBs are during the first contract and teams rarely benefit when paying for that second RB contract.

3 year rookie deals for RBs, with a 4th year option. I don't think NFL wants to open that can of worms though with rookie deals being dependent on position.

They could do that, or adjust the franchise tag deal to where it's a deal in the average range of all FA, not just by position.

That way players like RBs, who don't have a long shelf life don't have to wait 5 years, only to tagged.

So much for him sitting out the season. 😆😆

That of course would have been a huge mistake.

It's gonna get to the point where RBs are pretty much completely phased out as we know them now.

We'll see more hybrid RB/WR players, like Deebo. We'll also see to a lesser degree, a hybrid RB/TE, kind of like a FB.

The traditional RB position as we know it now, will go the way of the Dodo bird

47 minutes ago, polecatt said:

So much for him sitting out the season. 😆😆

That of course would have been a huge mistake.

A fantasy podcast I listen to was talking about Rb holdouts, and how it doesn't really happen anymore.  The last to do it was Lev Bell in 2018, who later said he totally regretted it.

Barkley was never going to sit out the season, or even a game. He is a class act and team first guy. This was merely posturing. Apologies to all those who were duped...

One year deal seems like a punch in the face, the guy takes one heck of a punishment for an awful organization.  

17 minutes ago, weepaws said:

One year deal seems like a punch in the face, the guy takes one heck of a punishment for an awful organization.  

He's still getting paid $13 million

10.1 with 900k in potential incentives 

I agree lots of money, but how about a more in the way a comment.  I’m sure he’s happy, I would be with 10 million, but what happens if he’s injured, what happens after this season, retirement.  

9 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I agree lots of money, but how about a more in the way a comment.  I’m sure he’s happy, I would be with 10 million, but what happens if he’s injured, what happens after this season, retirement.  

That's the case for pretty much every NFL player, with the exception of Deshaun Watson who got a guaranteed contract.

$11 million while still in your 20s, not bad

11 hours ago, polecatt said:

That's the case for pretty much every NFL player, with the exception of Deshaun Watson who got a guaranteed contract.

$11 million while still in your 20s, not bad

agreed.

hes made enough money to last a lifetime so long as he doesnt do anything excessively stupid.

Sounds like Jacob refused 12 mil.  Mmm. 

On 7/25/2023 at 9:41 AM, GobbleDog said:

A fantasy podcast I listen to was talking about Rb holdouts, and how it doesn't really happen anymore.  The last to do it was Lev Bell in 2018, who later said he totally regretted it.

The only holdout that really worked was Emmitt back in the 90a - Emmitt was right to holdout and the Cowboays were right to cave.  The usual result is either the team regrets caving or the RB regrets holding out or both of those.

10 minutes ago, Showboat said:

The only holdout that really worked was Emmitt back in the 90a - Emmitt was right to holdout and the Cowboays were right to cave.  The usual result is either the team regrets caving or the RB regrets holding out or both of those.

Zeke's worked out really well for him, Jerry folded like a cheap suit on that one