Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Camp News

Got any good fantasy football-relevant news from the teams you follow?

I’ll start: New England Patriots

- Hunter Henry has been Mac Jones’ favorite target — especially in the red zone — and could be in for a good year

- Juju Smith-Schuster has been a consistent target as well

- Devante Parker has been hit and miss

- OL may be an issue

- It’s Rhamondre and nobody else at RB so far. Team may bring in vet like Elliott

- Defense should be top notch again. 

And the bad news for the Patriots, the season starts    

For the Cowboys, I know Dak has looked like trash in camp. Threw a terrible red zone pick today.

Eagles Camp - The defense looks amazing thus far. The rookies, Jalen Carter is the truth and Nolan Smith is unstoppable. Second year DT Jordan Reed is a monster and giving the veteran o-line fits. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2023/8/1/23816005/eagles-training-camp-practice-notes-jalen-hurts-aj-brown-nfl-news-philadelphia-devonta-smith-bgn

3 hours ago, League Champion said:

Eagles Camp - The defense looks amazing thus far. The rookies, Jalen Carter is the truth and Nolan Smith is unstoppable. Second year DT Jordan Reed is a monster and giving the veteran o-line fits. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2023/8/1/23816005/eagles-training-camp-practice-notes-jalen-hurts-aj-brown-nfl-news-philadelphia-devonta-smith-bgn

Who is DT Jordan Reed? You mean Jordan Davis?

23 minutes ago, League Champion said:

For what it's worth, DeAndre Swift is impressing everyone. That's not shocking though, he just needs to stay healthy 

Question about Swift, what I’ve been reading is that he’s been mostly being used in the passing game.  

1. Is that true? 

2.  And if that’s true, who’s being used on first and second downs in the running game, and short yardage?  

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Question about Swift, what I’ve been reading is that he’s been mostly being used in the passing game.  

1. Is that true? 

2.  And if that’s true, who’s being used on first and second downs in the running game, and short yardage?  

Thanks. 

Yes Sir, a lot of bubble screens, some direct snaps, etc. I think Penny will be the lead back with Swift being the swiss army knife 

Both of them have a history of injuries, who’s next up Gainwell? 

19 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Both of them have a history of injuries, who’s next up Gainwell? 

I'd be shocked if Penny makes it out of pre-season. It could easily be Boston Scott and Gainwell. It doesn't matter though, you and I could run for 1,000 behind that line. 

News out of Steelers camp….Kenny Pickett stronger and leaner this year.  Making all the throws and actually being allowed to use middle of the field.  Breakout potential (top end Qb2 range)

On 8/2/2023 at 4:47 PM, IGotWorms said:

Got any good fantasy football-relevant news from the teams you follow?

I’ll start: New England Patriots

- Hunter Henry has been Mac Jones’ favorite target — especially in the red zone — and could be in for a good year

- Juju Smith-Schuster has been a consistent target as well

- Devante Parker has been hit and miss

- OL may be an issue

- It’s Rhamondre and nobody else at RB so far. Team may bring in vet like Elliott

- Defense should be top notch again. 

this is about what I was expecting.  though a bit surprised about the O line.  usually they find a way to keep that line good and functional.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:21 PM, League Champion said:

For what it's worth, DeAndre Swift is impressing everyone. That's not shocking though, he just needs to stay healthy 

also not surprising.  his issue has never been about talent.  its about staying healthy.  if the guy can stay healthy, hes likely an RB1.  But I have serious doubts he will be able to put together more than 13 or 14 games even if they cut back on his touches.

On 8/3/2023 at 7:14 PM, timozbuck said:

News out of Steelers camp….Kenny Pickett stronger and leaner this year.  Making all the throws and actually being allowed to use middle of the field.  Breakout potential (top end Qb2 range)

I am excited about this news.   he was showing signs of putting things together late last season.   This gives me hope for a team that had the potential to be a black hole for fantasy purposes.

12 hours ago, Ray_T said:

this is about what I was expecting.  though a bit surprised about the O line.  usually they find a way to keep that line good and functional.

That’s when they had longtime o-line coach Dante Scharnecchia. He was the best in the biz. But he retired and it’s been a little shaky since. Supposedly the new OL coach, Adrian Klemm, is good, but he is green 

Sounds like the Bengals #2 rb has been C Evans or C Brown.  

And the Eagles Gainwell has been getting the bulk of the early down work over Penny.  

Word out of the Buccaneer camp.......when grandpa walked out onto the practice field with little Johnny and asked, "where are your Buccaneers?", little Johnny responded, "under my Buckin' hat grandpa!"

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, weepaws said:

And the Eagles Gainwell has been getting the bulk of the early down work over Penny.  

and essentially free right now ADP wise 👍👍

I really like Charbonnet.  He’s going to play a lot.   Very good ADP.  But that might change the next two weeks. 

29 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I really like Charbonnet.  He’s going to play a lot.   Very good ADP.  But that might change the next two weeks. 

Pete's comments postgame..."looked good, didn't he?"

"He looked really physical.  Guys on the sidelines were going crazy for him.  He's had a great start with us."  

D Adams suffered a leg injury, is coach calls the injury, some kind of crazy.  Mmm.  

Received an email that K Hunt is visiting the Vikings , now that’s interesting. 

On 8/10/2023 at 4:12 PM, weepaws said:

Penny may not even make the final roster. Howie Roseman and Siriani love Trey Sermon. He's the much better back right now and having a great camp. 

It's something to keep an eye on. 

On 8/10/2023 at 2:12 PM, weepaws said:

its way too early to be drawing conclusions of this nature.   there could be a lot of reasons why this is happening.

1) it could be a case where Penny has an undisclosed injury and this is the coaches way of keeping him fresh to prevent re injury

2) it could be they just want to get Gainwell more reps early in the year before we get to a point where things start to matter more

3) it could be a discipline thing

4) there are any number of other reasons and I'm not gonna get into all the possibilities as I dont wanna be here all day.

I tend to shut down a lot of the noise of pre season.   lots of times we only see what the team wants us to see, and its done that way for a reason.

the only reliable things to garner in the offseason is:   

1) if a team has invested heavily in dollars or draft capital, sooner or later that player nearly always gets a shot at the #1 job.

2) unless an injury is season ending, the team rarely reports it during pre season.  they usually make something up to explain why the guy isnt playing.

3) coachspeak and depth charts during the offseason are often done to motovate the team.  coach does not care if they are sending mixed messages to you and me, the fantasy  footballers

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

) it could be a case where Penny has an undisclosed injury and this is the coaches way of keeping him fresh to prevent re injury

According to beat writers, Penny is on thin ice. There's a lot of speculation that he may not even make the final roster. He's done nothing at all to separate himself. 

19 minutes ago, League Champion said:

According to beat writers, Penny is on thin ice. There's a lot of speculation that he may not even make the final roster. He's done nothing at all to separate himself. 

so be it.

but this is also coachspeak too.

how much there is to it?  hard to say for sure.   without a doubt the coach is trying to motivate the guy.

there is no doubt of that.  whether hes truly on thin ice (or not) remains to be seen.    it is certainly possible.  

All I'm saying is dont put too much stock into what happens in pre season.,  I've seen multiple web sites be led astray by a bunch of negative rhetoric put out by media, coach and team, then week 1 comes, the player plays and lights it up.

its worth noting for sure, but not sure how much weight (if any) to place on it.

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

how much there is to it?  hard to say for sure.   without a doubt the coach is trying to motivate the guy.

I would imagine a lot since he's been the worst back in camp. 

1 minute ago, League Champion said:

I would imagine a lot since he's been the worst back in camp. 

I'll take your word for it.  I'm not there to watch so I only know second and third hand info.   been burned this way in the past so I'll worry about it later in the month when the preseason portion that matters is happening.

13 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

so be it.

but this is also coachspeak too.

there is no doubt of that.  whether hes truly on thin ice (or not) remains to be seen.    it is certainly possible.  

All I'm saying is dont put too much stock into what happens in pre season.,  I've seen multiple web sites be led astray by a bunch of negative rhetoric put out by media, coach and team, then week 1 comes, the player plays and lights it up.

its worth noting for sure, but not sure how much weight (if any) to place on it.

Wouldn’t call it coach speak, what’s being reported by the beat writers is what’s taking place in practice, Gainwell has been receiving all the early down work.   

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Wouldn’t call it coach speak, what’s being reported by the beat writers is what’s taking place in practice, Gainwell has been receiving all the early down work.   

and who do you think gives them the story?

one of your jobs as coach is to control the commentary.  if you dont give the media something to write about then they will write a story you may not want to see.

so the coach says, hey bub, you looking for a story, write this one citing an unnamed source not authorized to speak that so and so isnt performing up to expectations and has had his reps cut.   then the story comes out,   player (or his agent) sees the story, and the player (hopefully) starts to play better.

its like handing out discipline without actually tearing a strip off the player (which apparently coaches cant do anymore)

of course its coach speak.  indirectly.

the coaches are always buddy buddy with the beat writer cuz when they want info leaked they can control the narrative however they want.   they can leak the story that the player isnt playing well and then even come to the players rescue to make him think the coach is on his side.

if you think this crap doesnt happen, I'd like to sell you some real estate......

Just now, League Champion said:

I'm the first to admit, I was caught by surprise.  this time last year I said he hasnt shown signs he can throw the ball.

in pre season I did note his mechanics looked better but I wasnt sold that it would make a huge difference.   To his credit, he saw deficiencies in his game and worked hard to overcome them.    and good on him for doing so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I'm the first to admit, I was caught by surprise.  this time last year I said he hasnt shown signs he can throw the ball.

You and me both, he was dreadful. I don't think anyone seen that coming. It has to be one of the biggest QB turnarounds ever. 

2 hours ago, League Champion said:

You and me both, he was dreadful. I don't think anyone seen that coming. It has to be one of the biggest QB turnarounds ever. 

well, the signs were there. 

in pre season I noted that his throwing motion looked better.   but too often once you get a few games into the season, things start to slide and the guy goes back to the way he threw before.

so I assumed the same would apply.  but to his credit, he was good.   he did all the work and didnt let it slide.   good on the guy.  full marks.   A for effort.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, the signs were there. 

in pre season I noted that his throwing motion looked better.   but too often once you get a few games into the season, things start to slide and the guy goes back to the way he threw before.

so I assumed the same would apply.  but to his credit, he was good.   he did all the work and didnt let it slide.   good on the guy.  full marks.   A for effort.

An amazing leader as well. Everyone loves him.