Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

NCAA Conference Realignment

RIP PAC12

kudos to the big 12, but I'd still go back to the traditional big 8 and regional alignments in a heartbeat. 

At thia point they should just go to four, 16 team conferences for football.  2 divisions each and division winners and 8 WC make playoffs.

3 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

At thia point they should just go to four, 16 team conferences for football.  2 divisions each and division winners and 8 WC make playoffs.

I truly think that’s the plan.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patweisers44 said:

Why even bother with that...  They really just want the SEC to get everything football related, so just let them duke it out...

16 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

RIP PAC12

kudos to the big 12, but I'd still go back to the traditional big 8 and regional alignments in a heartbeat. 

Yeah, destroying the regional rivalries is BS. So Oregon and Washington will no longer play their in-state rivals? Bad for the sport, IMO. 

I think the future of the NCAA basektball tournament is at risk as well.  I think if the Big 12 could add UCONN and Gonzaga as basketball only they would, and if they could pull UNC and Duke out of the ACC they would do that as well.

You're basically looking at the potential for the Big 12, SEC and Big 10 to secede from the NCAA and start their own basketball tournament.  It's sad.

6 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I think the future of the NCAA basektball tournament is at risk as well.  I think if the Big 12 could add UCONN and Gonzaga as basketball only they would, and if they could pull UNC and Duke out of the ACC they would do that as well.

You're basically looking at the potential for the Big 12, SEC and Big 10 to secede from the NCAA and start their own basketball tournament.  It's sad.

I’m all for football showing the ncaa the door but losing the basketball tournament would suck

While I'm glad that ASU survived and found a home, I'm sad for the demise of the Pac-12.  It had a great regional symmetry:  two teams each from AZ, SoCal, NoCal, Oregon, and Washington.  Utah and Colorado upset the symmetry a bit but not the regional flavor.  And it also had a strong commitment to sports outside of football and basketball.  But alas, the market showed that those other sports don't matter as much.

The Big-12 is now a hodgepodge of seemingly random schools.  We need to play UCF?  :( 

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

While I'm glad that ASU survived and found a home, I'm sad for the demise of the Pac-12.  It had a great regional symmetry:  two teams each from AZ, SoCal, NoCal, Oregon, and Washington.  Utah and Colorado upset the symmetry a bit but not the regional flavor.  And it also had a strong commitment to sports outside of football and basketball.  But alas, the market showed that those other sports don't matter as much.

The Big-12 is now a hodgepodge of seemingly random schools.  We need to play UCF?  :( 

When you and your spouse are ready to visit kc/ Lawrence and watch the Devils for the first time play in historic Allen Fieldhouse let me know and I got you. 

Same goes for you and Houston @Pimpadeaux (which appears to be happening early 2024, and we should get the schedule within the next month) :banana:

2 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

When you and your spouse are ready to visit kc/ Lawrence and watch the Devils for the first time play in historic Allen Fieldhouse let me know and I got you. 

Same goes for you and Houston @Pimpadeaux (which appears to be happening early 2024, and we should get the schedule within the next month) :banana:

Thanks, we'll keep that in mind.  Hopefully they can keep building the basketball program to make it worth such a trip.  :cheers: 

The new system sucks. Hopefully that is obvious to everyone and it's transition stage into something sane. I don't like Patweiser's idea per se, I far prefer it to go back to how it was, but since that seems irreparably broken at this point , getting worse with each day even, and I am in denial and pining for the impossible, then he starts to make more sense.

If it wasn't getting ridiculous before, now it is. 

now we have rumblings of KU being persuaded to join the SEC.  I'm really about done with this realignment garbage.

3 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

now we have rumblings of KU being persuaded to join the SEC.  I'm really about done with this realignment garbage.

The lynchpin that would cause the SEC to move right now from what I'm hearing is if somehow UNC got clear of the ACC's Grant of Rights.  I could see a scenario with a UNC, Virginia, and two others.  FSU and Clemson have hurdles in that Florida and South Carolina are going to stick together with other members from states with non-member power 5 type schools (Kentucky/Louisville; Georgia/Ga Tech) to try and block entry.  Texas just brought enough dollars in to make it a must.  But UNC opens a new market and has the brand right now.  I think the Big Ten would covet them as well.  Short of Notre Dame I'm not sure who else they'd want in more.

49 minutes ago, Mark Davis said:

The lynchpin that would cause the SEC to move right now from what I'm hearing is if somehow UNC got clear of the ACC's Grant of Rights.  I could see a scenario with a UNC, Virginia, and two others.  FSU and Clemson have hurdles in that Florida and South Carolina are going to stick together with other members from states with non-member power 5 type schools (Kentucky/Louisville; Georgia/Ga Tech) to try and block entry.  Texas just brought enough dollars in to make it a must.  But UNC opens a new market and has the brand right now.  I think the Big Ten would covet them as well.  Short of Notre Dame I'm not sure who else they'd want in more.

The things I'm hearing suggest there is thought that basketball's value improves over time which probably helps schools that don't have historically solid football programs.