Sign in to follow this  
MDC

I just served on a jury for the first time.

I was supposed to have jury duty tomorrow, but checked the court's website and saw these beautiful words.....

No Jurors are needed at this Location

3 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

I served on 2 juries.

The first was a civil case.  Some chick was suing a driver who hit her while she was crossing the street.  The chick was a BS artist and claimed all kinds of pain and suffering.  When we went to deliberation, it was clear she deserved something, and the first number thrown out by another jurer was a million dollars.  I flipped out and said it should be more like $20k.  After some back and forth, we ended up around $50k.

The second case had to do with a gun charge and assault.  The prosecutors case was BS, saw right through it, but the jury didn't care and just wanted to put the guy away.  I argued for the defendant, and slowly started getting people on my side.  Then we were locked.  It was a Friday afternoon, and Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on NJ, set to hit Monday morning, and I told the jury, "I will never vote to convict this dude, and if you 3 hold the same conviction as me, then we'll be right back here Monday morning in a Hurricane staring at each other all day.  You really wanna do that?", and then they backed down and we acquitted.  Dude flashed me a look, I was like I got you bro.

So in the gun case you did your job as a jurist and voted to acquit based on the evidence presented. Cool. That’s what you’re supposed to do. Kudos.  But what you’re not supposed to do is make eye contact with the defendant and give him an “I got you look”. Also , I’ll go out on a limb and say while the defendant may have been not guilty in this case, that he’s a predicate scumbag. No need to feel good about him walking. You should feel bad that an opportunity to put  a dangerous pos behind bars was lost due to a poorly presented case. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe he was a swell guy. I doubt it though. 

4 hours ago, MDC said:

It was a 2-day civil case over a minor ($50k) business dispute. Based on this experience, god help anyone who is on trial for a serious crime. Some of these jurors are dumb as a bag of hammers. 

:doh: 

As usual, MDC, picked from the same community of retards, somehow thinks he's the better intellect in the room.

2 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

As usual, MDC, picked from the same community of retards, somehow thinks he's the better intellect in the room.

There was no doubt about it. :bandana: 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

You're from the same low IQ class as they are, dummy.  People from Eastern Kentucky have more class, brains and refinement than you.

3 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

You're from the same low IQ class as they are, dummy.  People from Eastern Kentucky have more class, brains and refinement than you.

There was no doubt about it. :bandana: 

The last time I had jury duty I got selected to go to the courtroom but didn’t get called up.  It was an attempted murder charge.  There was one dude who said he witnessed his mom get murdered and went to jail twice for getting in barfights, and he still got picked.

So if some of you degenerates have a goal of being on a jury, there’s still hope.

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

The last time I had jury duty I got selected to go to the courtroom but didn’t get called up.  It was an attempted murder charge.  There was one dude who said he witnessed his mom get murdered and went to jail twice for getting in barfights, and he still got picked.

So if some of you degenerates have a goal of being on a jury, there’s still hope.

And you were rejected. 😆

Odd that multiple Republicans refuse to fulfill their civic duty of performing jury duty.

Hypocrites

2 hours ago, DonS said:

Speaking of jury duty... 

Have any of you watched the show "Jury Duty"?  Premise is a real person is selected for jury duty and is filmed for a documentary, except everything is fake and everyone aside from the one dude are actors.

Very funny and the reveal is top notch. 

https://click.justwatch.com/a?r=https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/jury-duty?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android

Huh, I thought it was a Pauly Shore movie. :dunno:

2 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

You are a Nazi. 

I did Nazi that coming.   :o

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Your first time as a 50 year old male? That’s wild. I’ve been unenrolled in Massachusetts for 30 years and have served 6 times including federal grand jury and a high profile criminal case that received national attention. I’ve been summoned and dismissed another 4 times. It’s been every 3 years like clockwork. Jury duty is an awesome experience. Am I the only one that gets summoned every 3 years? 

58 minutes ago, Dizkneelande said:

Your first time as a 50 year old male? That’s wild. I’ve been unenrolled in Massachusetts for 30 years and have served 6 times including federal grand jury and a high profile criminal case that received national attention. I’ve been summoned and dismissed another 4 times. It’s been every 3 years like clockwork. Jury duty is an awesome experience. Am I the only one that gets summoned every 3 years? 

This is maybe my 5th time being summoned - every time I was dismissed without even being questioned by the attorneys. 

In hindsight it was interesting but I’m really glad it was a 2-day case.

Im not 50 either. Yet. 😞 

3 hours ago, DonS said:

Speaking of jury duty... 

Have any of you watched the show "Jury Duty"?  Premise is a real person is selected for jury duty and is filmed for a documentary, except everything is fake and everyone aside from the one dude are actors.

Very funny and the reveal is top notch. 

https://click.justwatch.com/a?r=https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/jury-duty?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android

Yup, pretty funny :doublethumbsup:

7 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

I served on 2 juries.

The first was a civil case.  Some chick was suing a driver who hit her while she was crossing the street.  The chick was a BS artist and claimed all kinds of pain and suffering.  When we went to deliberation, it was clear she deserved something, and the first number thrown out by another jurer was a million dollars.  I flipped out and said it should be more like $20k.  After some back and forth, we ended up around $50k.

The second case had to do with a gun charge and assault.  The prosecutors case was BS, saw right through it, but the jury didn't care and just wanted to put the guy away.  I argued for the defendant, and slowly started getting people on my side.  Then we were locked.  It was a Friday afternoon, and Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on NJ, set to hit Monday morning, and I told the jury, "I will never vote to convict this dude, and if you 3 hold the same conviction as me, then we'll be right back here Monday morning in a Hurricane staring at each other all day.  You really wanna do that?", and then they backed down and we acquitted.  Dude flashed me a look, I was like I got you bro.

RESPECT