Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

FSU got hosed

7 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

The committee is told to take "the four best."   That's all.  

Vegas would completely agree with the committee. I didn't look at what the futures bets to win the Title were, but I guarantee Florida State was not in the top 5. Probably more like 8th best after Texas.

Good thing there's never a Cinderella team in sports. Or upsets. 🤔

2 minutes ago, crackattack said:

But they're in????

Oh wait, you we not being an honest participant, my mistake I thought you were trying to have an actual conversation.   I demure and leave this to you then :cheers:

5 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I can't believe the FSU love. If you follow College football then you'd know that FSU doesn't belong on the same field as the Top 4. 

Bottom line. 

I don't care about FSU at all. None. I also said they'd probably get beat bad. So what? They earned the right to try. They can say something that only 2 other teams can say. They're undefeated and a conference champ. They earned it.

2 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I can't believe the FSU love. If you follow College football then you'd know that FSU doesn't belong on the same field as the Top 4. 

Bottom line. 

Your logic is stupid.  You trying to tell me Georgia isn't better than Texas?   is OSU better than Texas?  Georgia ONLY lost to the now #4 team in the country and they don't get in?   This is absolutely not about the 4 best teams in the country  You look idiotic when you say that.

Conference titles should mean something.  The committee just threw that out the window.  I get they did it for money. I 100% get it.  But it sucks.   

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Oh wait, you we not being an honest participant, my mistake I thought you were trying to have an actual conversation.   I demure and leave this to you then :cheers:

I was. You said once they get beat we can move on. Alabama has a loss. FSU doesn't. That's as honest as it gets.

13 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I'm a Sparty.  I don't care whether Michigan wins or loses at this point.  But I believe Alabama will give them the tougher game.

I also think OSU would give them a tougher game, over FSU.  Same with Georgia.  

I don't think Michigan is all that.  their schedule blew.

Thats unfortunately the reasoning behind bama over fsu. Better competition, tighter game, more money. 

This is the one part of the current setup i am glad goes away.  But between NIL, the 12 team playoff,  transfer portal, etc. College football is no longer what it used to be and IMO that sucks.  For example, michigan v ohio state two weeks back, in the future that game is for nothing more than playoff seeding.

3 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Thats unfortunately the reasoning behind bama over fsu. Better competition, tighter game, more money. 

This is the one part of the current setup i am glad goes away.  But between NIL, the 12 team playoff,  transfer portal, etc. College football is no longer what it used to be and IMO that sucks.  For example, michigan v ohio state two weeks back, in the future that game is for nothing more than playoff seeding.

Its VERY possible, next year, that Michigan plays OSU three weeks in a row.

No lie.  Last game of the year, Big 10 championship game, then the playoffs.

It's uber dumb

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crackattack said:

Alabama has a loss. FSU doesn't. That's as honest as it gets.

You still don't get it. It's not about wins or loses. It's about getting in the 4 best teams. Forget the record, FSU is not in the same league as any of the top 4 or Ohio State, Penn State, Georgia, etc. The committee knows this, and even you know this. 

6 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Good thing there's never a Cinderella team in sports. Or upsets. 🤔

"Pick the best four" - the committee did that. As it should be.

What's the alternative?  Pick a team that stinks just for Cinderella chances? I'd rather see the best fight it out.

3 minutes ago, League Champion said:

You still don't get it. It's not about wins or loses. It's about getting in the 4 best teams. Forget the record, FSU is not in the same league as any of the top 4 or Ohio State, Penn State, Georgia, etc. The committee knows this, and even you know this. 

I understand your point. New way of deciding who gets in.

1. Eye test

2. Injuries 

3. Punish teams if players opt out of bowl games due to fear of risking injury affecting draft status.

4. TV ratings 

5. Money.

6. Some made up committee.

Don't worry about records, conference championship, rankings.

Sound good?

3 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

"Pick the best four" - the committee did that. As it should be.

What's the alternative?  Pick a team that stinks just for Cinderella chances? I'd rather see the best fight it out.

Yes. Pick the team that's unbeaten and a conference champ. They might get smoked. So what? Michigan might smoke Alabama. Texas could smoke Washington. FSU earned it.

12 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Its not the 4 best teams. If that was true Georgia would be in

5 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Its not the 4 best teams. If that was true Georgia would be in

I agree. I think Georgia and possibly Ohio State should be in. But I get it, it's still a decent top 4. 

10 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Yes. Pick the team that's unbeaten and a conference champ. They might get smoked. So what? Michigan might smoke Alabama. Texas could smoke Washington. FSU earned it.

FSU beat weak competition and didn't look good doing it.  So they didn't "earn" it.  If they'd beaten most teams by 25+... ok. They'd be in with nothing to complain about. 

I do sorta agree with ya about the starting QB is hurt, therefore the backup can't possibly be as good. That's an assumption... (a reasonable one, but still a guess). Don't think I'd downgrade them based solely on that.

6 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

FSU beat weak competition and didn't look good doing it.  So they didn't "earn" it.  If they'd beaten most teams by 25+... ok. They'd be in with nothing to complain about. 

I do sorta agree with ya about the starting QB is hurt, therefore the backup can't possible be as good. That's an assumption... (a reasonable one, but still a guess). Don't think I'd downgrade them based solely on that.

How many games did Alabama squeak out against weaker teams? 2 or 3? This is why the eye test fails. Alabama looked bad a few games this year. Had qb issues earlier in the season. Their starting qb now was benched a couple weeks because he sucked. What if he reverts back? 

I truly get the "4 best" argument. I do. It just sucks for FSU because of their injury situation. If Travis was still playing FSU would be in. 

Eta: FSU had the 11th toughest SOS.

16 minutes ago, crackattack said:

So what? Michigan might smoke Alabama. Texas could smoke Washington. FSU earned it.

Well Georgia didn't make the playoffs and is ranked lower than FSU. So it should be an easy win for FSU, right? 

Just now, League Champion said:

Well Georgia didn't make the playoffs and is ranked lower than FSU. So it should be an easy win for FSU, right? 

:dunno:. Georgia will probably win. So what? FSU could win. So what? It's meaningles. FSU should be playing Washington. 

They won't 

I honestly don't think they will either, but that's why you play the game. 

There's an argument to be had for Alabama, FSU, and Texas. Maybe even Georgia and Ohio State. There is no outcome in which somebody was not going to get hosed, rather, it was who would get hosed.

6 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

There is no outcome in which somebody was not going to get hosed, rather, it was who would get hosed.

Agree. More deserving teams have gotten hosed. I honestly don't think FSU belongs in the top 8. They shouldn't of even been in the Playoff conversation IMO. 

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

Bottom line. 

SEC homers think the SEC should make up half the playoff field. Those that care about the sport itself, and a merit-based selection process, tell the SEC to go screw. You are obviously a SEC homer.

12 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Agree. More deserving teams have gotten hosed. I honestly don't think FSU belongs in the top 8. They shouldn't of even been in the Playoff conversation IMO. 

Nope. Never been an undefeated P5 conference champ that missed the playoffs. 

Just now, Fnord said:

SEC homers think the SEC should make up half the playoff field. Those that care about the sport itself, and a merit-based selection process, tell the SEC to go screw. You are obviously a SEC homer.

No I'm not. I'm actually a Big 10 homer. I'm giving you my honest opinion. I want the best 4 teams in, record doesn't mean crap. 

What's your top 4? 

2 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Doesn't matter, they played the 55th strength of schedule! How is that deserving? 

Where are you getting this from? Sagarin had them 10th and this has them 11th.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/season-sos-by-other&ved=2ahUKEwjM-fyOy_aCAxUoAHkGHRzJBEEQFnoECBkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2SEjcfj1rkXuK_kvXmErbw

4 minutes ago, crackattack said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/comparing-alabama-florida-state-cfp-155023318.html

Strength of Schedule:

• Florida State: No. 55

• Alabama: No. 5

One of these things is not like the other. Florida State has won the games on its schedule, most of them convincingly, which is one of the strongest arguments for the ACC team. However, Alabama’s argument would be that they rank only one spot lower on the strength of record while playing one of the hardest schedules in the nation.

Doesn't matter, they played the 55th strength of schedule! How is that deserving? 

Doesn't matter. Undefeated Power 5 conference champ. There were only three of them. Football is a merit based sport, and FSU flat-out has more merit than anyone but Michigan and Washington, which they are equal to.

2 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Football is a merit based sport

Yes, and FSU isn't worthy. You know it's true. If you watch College football you'd know that most of the top ten would destroy them 

1 minute ago, League Champion said:

Well they're wrong. 

Sagarin is typically the best out there. :dunno:

59 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I do sorta agree with ya about the starting QB is hurt, therefore the backup can't possibly be as good. That's an assumption... (a reasonable one, but still a guess). Don't think I'd downgrade them based solely on that.

OSU won a natty with their third string QB

6 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Yes, and FSU isn't worthy. You know it's true. If you watch College football you'd know that most of the top ten would destroy them 

Cincinnati wasn't either. Or TCU. I don't care. What point is the regular season if this shite happens? 

Good. Notre Dame got hosed in 1993 and FSU were the beneficiaries  of it. Fock em. 

3 hours ago, RLLD said:

I think we need not do that, the expansion next year will allow teams like FSu to be in the party, get their butts kicked, and then move on.

Except some of those 5 - 12 seeded teams will win. Then they move on and the over rated teams can go home.

27 minutes ago, League Champion said:

What's your top 4? 

For who SHOULD have gotten in?

Michigan, Washington, FSU, Texas.