Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Roger Goodell Says NFL Is Ready to Ban Controversial Hip-Drop Tackle

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The bolded is key.

Its dumb.  But NFL doesnt care because they keep growing.   Thr new fans dont care.  As long as they can have their little fantasy team.  

You see thr new kickoff rule?  Its ridiculous.   Why not just spot it at the 25?  Speeds up play and now there is 100% no injuries on "kickoffs" or in his case starts of games halfs or after scoring.  

What am I missing?  Seems they are taking it slow to make it seem like they aren't changing the game drastically.   Just spot the focking thing at thr 25 and move on if its about injury.  

4 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

How will guys tackle coming off a block? Don't they normally just shed the block and grab the ball carrier and try to drop them?

There is no anwer for this.

Like I said earlier.  Cant touch thr QB these days yet we saw about as many QB injuries with backups littered all over than ever before.  

Joke league.  A tackle like this is dangerous!  Lmao.  

You know what else is dangerous?  Running.  They create those really bad non contact injuries.   

Ever since we encouraged women to watch football this has gotten out of hand.  

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Its dumb.  But NFL doesnt care because they keep growing.   Thr new fans dont care.  As long as they can have their little fantasy team.  

You see thr new kickoff rule?  Its ridiculous.   Why not just spot it at the 25?  Speeds up play and now there is 100% no injuries on "kickoffs" or in his case starts of games halfs or after scoring.  

What am I missing?  Seems they are taking it slow to make it seem like they aren't changing the game drastically.   Just spot the focking thing at thr 25 and move on if its about injury.  

I edited so you might have missed 

Such a tackle will result in a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down, according to the NFL. If a player brings his opponent to the ground by performing the first two steps but lands off to the side and without swiveling around and landing on the legs or feet of his opponent, such a tackle would be deemed legal. The technique has become more popular in recent years as players look to avoid using their helmets in tackles, which draws penalties and increases the risk of concussions.

Doesn't seem like they are removing the tackle from the game, just an aspect of it that is dangerous to the ball carrier.  

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Well, that's because the last kickoff changes made kick off returns only happen about 1 in 5 times. The new rule should encourage more kickoffs to be returned.  Better than nothing. I have no clue what happens with onside kicks though now.

Twenty-nine of the 32 owners voted in favor of the modification, and it takes effect this coming season — a year after only 22 percent of kickoffs in the 2023 season were returned.

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I edited so you might have missed 

Doesn't seem like they are removing the tackle from the game, just an aspect of it that is dangerous to the ball carrier.  

I understand the change.  Never said they outlawed tackling.  They keep putting little things where a defender has to defy science to avoid.  Hey man when you tackle just remove your head anf toss it to the side so it makes zero contact with any part of thr face mask.  They are asking defenders to do ridiculously difficult thing. 

You know what happens when you have to think that much out there?  Injury.  There was a player who quit holding onto the QB for fear of a soft azz "roughing" call that he tore his own knee up trying to avoid the QB.  

Cant hit low cant hit high.  If you hit mid you have to make sure no part of your helmet touches a guys hemet.  

If you go to tackle this way you have to do in this manner.  

Its ridiculous.  And they arent close to fone yet.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Well, that's because the last kickoff changes made kick off returns only happen about 1 in 5 times. The new rule should encourage more kickoffs to be returned.  Better than nothing. I have no clue what happens with onside kicks though now.

Onsides are basically a thing if the past.  

Maybe go back to the old rules where kickoffs mattered.  Back the kicker up if you want kickoffs.  This hybrid game they are creating is dumb. 

Why did we have to go to auto touchback whrn a live kickoff ball is rolling in the endzone and no caught snd downed?  So ball is live on an onsides but not on a full kickoff?  

There are already so many rules in football.  They just bring more and more in.  Variations of rules.   Hey ball is live if it goes 10 yards.  But not if it goes too far.  Wtf?  

Yay lets bring the refs into thr game even more!  

If they care about player safety then why are we expanding to more games?  

If they care about player safety then why aren't they looking into the dangers of those turf fields?  

Answer is: they don't really care.  

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

If they care about player safety then why aren't they looking into the dangers of those turf fields?  

That one plus the Thursday night games absolutely just kill me.  

39 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The bolded is key.

Such a tackle will result in a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down, according to the NFL. If a player brings his opponent to the ground by performing the first two steps but lands off to the side and without swiveling around and landing on the legs or feet of his opponent, such a tackle would be deemed legal. The technique has become more popular in recent years as players look to avoid using their helmets in tackles, which draws penalties and increases the risk of concussions.

I'm no expert, but I'm having a devil of a time seeing what #55 did wrong.

9 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I'm guessing cause he landed on his legs due to inertia, cause it didn't look like he intentionally swiveled around to land on him.  I only play a ref at the GC though.   

Its not football anymore.   Its a hybrid game of football.  

Cant tackle Andrews like that.  Cant grab high.  Hey just let him score.  Hes 6'5 260 for focks sake.  

When do they call one of these on a game winning drive?  Thats going to be so much fun.  

If you want to get rid of head hits to preserve their future health ok.  Take the head hits out of a game they willingly signed up for and get paid handsomely to play.  

But if a guy breaks a leg he breaks a focking leg.  

Will this also apply to offensive linemen? :mad:

@cmh6476

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Will this also apply to offensive linemen? :mad:

@cmh6476

I am not sure, but this rule is sure offensive 

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:21 AM, Voltaire said:

A black guy put his hands on a white guy

On 3/26/2024 at 11:07 AM, listen2me 23 said:

How about those 2 Xmas games we got coming on Wednesday :doh: 

Just now, edjr said:

How about those 2 Xmas games we got coming on Wednesday :doh: 

Roger downplayed it saying well this will only happen when Christmas is on a Wednesday.   Lol.  

It would be cool if he had to answer some tough questions on "safety of the game".  

But again, it is the owners as well.  

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Roger downplayed it saying well this will only happen when Christmas is on a Wednesday.   Lol.  

It would be cool if he had to answer some tough questions on "safety of the game".  

But again, it is the owners as well.  

See you in 2030. 

Goodell manages to make no one happy but his 32 masters. Commissioner my ass. Errand boy. Can’t wait for the fake bro hugs at the draft again.