Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Roger Goodell Says NFL Is Ready to Ban Controversial Hip-Drop Tackle

How the hell are they gonna tackle then? And imagine the officiating of this. :blink:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL is ready to ban the controversial hip-drop tackle, which has caused several injuries this season, including one to Ravens star tight end Mark Andrews, and this past Sunday to Dolphins star Tyreek Hill.

“We all should work to get that out of the game,” Goodell said at a press conference from league ownership meetings on Wednesday. “You see it escalated the number of times it occurred this season. The [potential] injury can be very devastating. We saw that also. It’s not just happening at the NFL level. It’s happening at other levels. It’s something that I feel we’ve got to work very hard to get that removed this spring.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/14/roger-goodell-says-nfl-is-ready-to-ban-controversial-hip-drop-tackle

What is a hip.drop tackle?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/graphics/2023/11/22/nfl-what-is-a-hip-drop-tackle/71660167007/

Geez.  Just outlaw the whole stupid game.  Disband the league.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Geez.  Just outlaw the whole stupid game.  Disband the league.  

Seriously. It's insanty. :dunno:

I’m paying attention less and watching less. I don’t look at todays QB’s as doing anything special. The whole game is rigged in the offenses favor. 

Sometimes these ball carriers are like 240 pounds. Mark Andrews is 6'5" 250. How is a 185 pound free safety supposed to bring him down?

They keep banning things yet keep pointing to injuries. 

So the logical question is..... is any of this actually working?  You can hardly tackle a qb yet this is the most backup qbs I can remember seeing.  

• Thanks 1

Professional flag football.  Oh my soul.  I not know why people keep watching.   

51 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

So, basically you cannot track a ball carrier down from behind.

Or from the side.

What exactly is a hip-drop tackle?

In a hip-drop tackle, the defensive player approaches from behind or the side, wraps his arms around the offensive player and becomes dead weight while dropping to the ground.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

They keep banning things yet keep pointing to injuries. 

So the logical question is..... is any of this actually working?  You can hardly tackle a qb yet this is the most backup qbs I can remember seeing.  

This is a great point. Honestly, get rid of these "finely tuned" athletes that are like "premium high performance vehicles". They are most expensive, picky, garage laden vehicles on the planet. 

One focking little imperfect move causes varying degrees of injury.

Put them back in leather helmets so they don't feel indestructable and let that be that. 

Tackling by pulling someone down against the rules? Good luck officiating that. 

• Like 1

So why nothing to help defenders and lineman from getting hurt? 

You see this tackle performed a lot on sideline plays.  I don’t see any way to ban it without delegitimizing the game.  Even further.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

You see this tackle performed a lot on sideline plays.  I don’t see any way to ban it without delegitimizing the game.  Even further.

So basically you can't pull ball carriers back from gaining more yards. You have to tackle them by pushing them down. And from the side or behind you are required to help them gain yards. Or at least not lose yards.

The nfl is going crazy. 

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

The tackle is dangerous. I'm not sure how you legislate it or penalize it in any way

Lol.  It is football.  People get hurt.  

39 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Ok....where did I say otherwise?

I just don't really get what "its a dangerous tackle" means?

You have 250lb uber athletes flying around.  All the tackles can be dangerous.   

At this rate we really are heading towards flag football.  

If tell the running back to stop running because I'm in position to lay hands on him but he ignores me and keeps running anyways, what should I do?

5 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

The tackle is dangerous. I'm not sure how you legislate it or penalize it in any way

😆

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

When you are running behind someone and dead weighting them at the engage point you are increasing the risk of injury. Yes it is in context of trying to stop a ball carrier but that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. There are layers of danger in football tackling...anyone can see why one would be more dangerous than another. The context in your statements is "can" be dangerous. Yes- a 250 pounder spearing into someone's chest can be dangerous. But more dangerous is a 250 pounder grabbing me from behind, dead weighting themselves so all my momentum now falls back over the rest of my body. But again- the important part of what I said is- I'm not sure how you legislate it. A horse collar tackle is a bit more cut and dry to penalize.

I played football for many years, was all conference in high school and played D2- the hip drop tackle is not how anyone is taught to tackle even in pursuit. I'm sure others here played football as well- maybe they were taught differently. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

When you are running behind someone and dead weighting them at the engage point you are increasing the risk of injury. Yes it is in context of trying to stop a ball carrier but that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. There are layers of danger in football tackling...anyone can see why one would be more dangerous than another. The context in your statements is "can" be dangerous. Yes- a 250 pounder spearing into someone's chest can be dangerous. But more dangerous is a 250 pounder grabbing my from behind, dead weighting themselves so all my momentum now falls back over the rest of my body. But again- the important part of what I said is- I'm not sure how you legislate it. A horse collar tackle is a bit more cut and dry to penalize.

I played football for many years, was all conference in high school and played D2- the hip drop tackle is not how anyone is taught to tackle even in pursuit. I'm sure others here played football as well- maybe they were taught differently. 

😆

Banned.

How the fock are they going to officiate that?

Last 2 minutes of a game. Hip drop penalty!!

That wasn't. Yes it was. No it wasn't. He slipped. 

• Sad 1

ban tackling. The Pro Bowl is so awesome now. Flags for everyone!

On 12/16/2023 at 5:34 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

You can always tell who never played. 

1990 3/4 of ESPN 

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

ban tackling. The Pro Bowl is so awesome now. Flags for everyone!

FOCK!! It's bad. 

Why even have tackling?

I can 100% see a future where I don’t watch this sport anymore. Ten years ago I’d never believe I’d say this.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Why even have tackling?

I can 100% see a future where I don’t watch this sport anymore. Ten years ago I’d never believe I’d say this.

You can no longer grab a ball carrier, and use your weight to pull him to the ground.

Yet, in every player profile in the NFL, is height and WEIGHT. 

• Confused 2

Fantasy is keeping this business thriving. And they still haven’t gotten rid of the worst rule in all of sport, the fumble out of the end zone.  

On 12/16/2023 at 2:26 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

So why nothing to help defenders and lineman from getting hurt? 

No. RBs can lower their heads and ram anyone in any point of their body. Head included. But defenders need to avoid head contact. Now thwy can't pull them down to the ground. 

Football is starting to suck. 

On 12/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, Sean Mooney said:

So are the metal helmets they use

On 12/16/2023 at 8:04 AM, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I'm on board with this. 

Same. It’s a terrible tackle. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, seafoam1 said:

This is a great point. Honestly, get rid of these "finely tuned" athletes that are like "premium high performance vehicles". They are most expensive, picky, garage laden vehicles on the planet. 

One focking little imperfect move causes varying degrees of injury.

Put them back in leather helmets so they don't feel indestructable and let that be that. 

Tackling by pulling someone down against the rules? Good luck officiating that. 

Yes

The problem is that these players are not in football shape. It is the fault of the CBA and the NFL. The CBA states that teams can only practice in pads 11 times during the season. There is a limit on how much practice and training you can do as a team. The NFL started playing three preseason games for money purposes which now has teams evaluating new players and sitting there starters. I believe at one time there were six preseason games. These are just a few of the reasons.

This should be interesting.....   🤪

On 12/16/2023 at 9:55 AM, iam90sbaby said:

It'll be a good day with Goodell is gone

Goodell is a turd.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:09 PM, listen2me 23 said:

This is how the league describes the technique: when a defender grabs a runner with both arms and “unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body,” then lands on the runner and traps his legs below the knee. 

The bolded is key.

Such a tackle will result in a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down, according to the NFL. If a player brings his opponent to the ground by performing the first two steps but lands off to the side and without swiveling around and landing on the legs or feet of his opponent, such a tackle would be deemed legal. The technique has become more popular in recent years as players look to avoid using their helmets in tackles, which draws penalties and increases the risk of concussions.

How will guys tackle coming off a block? Don't they normally just shed the block and grab the ball carrier and try to drop them?