WhiteWonder

*** 2024 Draft and Season Discussion ***

2 minutes ago, GuardBum said:

I recruited bbascom.  Sorry about that again (j/k) and he's definitively better then edjr was with the Sox.
Ted is/was a very sad loss. 29G? like you said, mia a lot but a cool cat.

my only memory of edjr was that he was running the Giants and then quit after the initial draft when the supplemental balls didn't go his way. pretty typical behavior for him even though we have become internet friendly over the years. 

29G apparently was a she who came over to the forum with a wave of women from some other internet message board about curly women's hair. I had no clue. We used to private message back and forth a lot this time of year as I always suspected they needed a bit of guidance with this league. Pretty sure they were here before me though. I was told they also passed a few years ago.

I was not aware 29G passed but yes she came from Naturally Curly website.  It was from a back and forth jihad back in the day.  TheNewGirl, addict, peenie, et others all came from that timeline.

I didn't know today was my FFT anniversary.  But I joined all the way back in 2001.
And 97% of my posts are probably right here in Homers.

Hard to imagine that first 2004 season now.  And I guess we had 20 teams.  I forgot that.

looking at yahoo history, I don't see a 2011 season. It looks like 2012 was my first year (for some reason I chose the Marlins even though the Rays were available) I didn't even remember there being 16 teams back then. I switched to Tampa in 2013 and then in 2014 the league was down to 14 teams. 

This is my first year finally landing Semien at 2B, and somehow I still ended up with Adolis Garcia.  Luck of the dice roll finally shines on me!

3 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

This is my first year finally landing Semien at 2B

I debated not taking him over and over once I rolled high.  With the bluebirds having 48 options at 2B in the pipeline and only so many pitchers, I figured I'd take my teams own ace.

2 minutes ago, GuardBum said:

I debated not taking him over and over once I rolled high.  With the bluebirds having 48 options at 2B in the pipeline and only so many pitchers, I figured I'd take my teams own ace.

I struggled through a season of Elvis Andrus at 2nd, so much appreciated!😃

7 hours ago, GuardBum said:

League started the very first year with 16.  Wasn't sustainable.  14 went well for a long time.  While it'd be great, I do think a lot of us are in different points in our lives and getting to and sustaining 14 might be tough year to year.

My history shows the following:

2004 - 20 teams

2005 - 2007 - 18 teams

2008 - 2013 - 16 teams (I was absent for a few of these years)

2014 - 14 teams

2015 - 16 teams

2016 on looks like mostly 14 teams

3 minutes ago, BlackClouds said:

2016 on looks like mostly 14 teams

We had 12 last season but I think 14 before that. When Ted passed, I feel like Posty came back to give us an even 14 and then when 29G passed, Posty didn't need to return for us to at least have an even 12. 

edit:  12 teams since 2022.

42 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

This is my first year finally landing Semien at 2B, and somehow I still ended up with Adolis Garcia.  Luck of the dice roll finally shines on me!

😑

45 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

We had 12 last season but I think 14 before that. When Ted passed, I feel like Posty came back to give us an even 14 and then when 29G passed, Posty didn't need to return for us to at least have an even 12. 

Did 29G pass or just leave the league (I don't keep up with the Geek Club anymore)?

5 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Did 29G pass or just leave the league (I don't keep up with the Geek Club anymore)?

I never even knew of 29G posting at the geek club, but then again for many years I was a main bored poster only. I think 2022, we all just assumed she no showed but I am almost certain someone at the geek club posted last year about her passing. I don't even think it was it's own topic, I think it was part of another. 

2 hours ago, GuardBum said:

Hard to imagine that first 2004 season now.  And I guess we had 20 teams.  I forgot that.

Sh1t teams then, sh1t teams now :(

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I never even knew of 29G posting at the geek club, but then again for many years I was a main bored poster only. I think 2022, we all just assumed she no showed but I am almost certain someone at the geek club posted last year about her passing. I don't even think it was it's own topic, I think it was part of another. 

Your remembrances are spot on.  Reported by a fellow Curly.

• Thanks 1

all this early picking made me jealous :lol:

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

all this early picking made me jealous :lol:

Me too but I need to hold off on my first pick for a bit. There is a chance the Red Sox might sign someone else that would end up being my first pick. If they don't sign him by 4 March, then I guess I will have to move on.

18 minutes ago, bbascom said:

Me too but I need to hold off on my first pick for a bit. There is a chance the Red Sox might sign someone else that would end up being my first pick. If they don't sign him by 4 March, then I guess I will have to move on.

😬.    Hated reading that news today….

2 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

😬.    Hated reading that news today….

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I heard the meeting actually happened a week or 2 ago so who knows what is going on. I'm not convinced they want to spend any more money this year honestly so I'm not overly hopeful...lol

9 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Actually when Ted passed I took over his team and I had already had the Nationals, IIRC…

7 hours ago, posty said:

Actually when Ted passed I took over his team and I had already had the Nationals, IIRC…

where you been?  Had enough of the political bs? :(

18 hours ago, lambert58 said:

I could have done without any Edjr mentions…

:nono:

19 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

my only memory of edjr was that he was running the Giants and then quit after the initial draft when the supplemental balls didn't go his way. pretty typical behavior for him even though we have become internet friendly over the years. 

29G apparently was a she who came over to the forum with a wave of women from some other internet message board about curly women's hair. I had no clue. We used to private message back and forth a lot this time of year as I always suspected they needed a bit of guidance with this league. Pretty sure they were here before me though. I was told they also passed a few years ago.

Correct. I never ran the red sox. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Correct. I quit. 

:bench:

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

🖕

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

I still know how to make him quit leagues, but he's come a long way since then :)

1 hour ago, edjr said:

🖕

:banana:

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I still know how to make him quit leagues, but he's come a long way since then :)

truth

23 hours ago, GuardBum said:

Me getting the first pick kinda made that decision for you. If I’m not ahead of Mookz you get Semien and Gausman potentially 

5 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Me getting the first pick kinda made that decision for you. If I’m not ahead of Mookz you get Semien and Gausman potentially 

Pretty sure I lose Gausman to Burt regardless of anyone else's position.

Guy was passed around like a dirty ###### after leaving the Os. <_<

early trade block notification:  I have 4 top 25ish exclusive Catchers for those that may be in the market for one.
Moreno (most expensive), Jansen, Kirk, Gomes
All should get plenty of regular PT and AB.  Not sure obviously what I'm looking for yet just putting it out there.

I wanted to see how JV bounced back from his bullpen session yesterday. Reports are good and I don’t think I’ll get any new info before Monday. It’s not an awesome option but based on other injuries, I think it’s the best I’ve got. 

On 2/28/2024 at 7:59 AM, GuardBum said:

early trade block notification:  I have 4 top 25ish exclusive Catchers for those that may be in the market for one.
Moreno (most expensive), Jansen, Kirk, Gomes
All should get plenty of regular PT and AB.  Not sure obviously what I'm looking for yet just putting it out there.

I have a surplus of MI types but you also seem ok there, also closers not sure how you are lined up

with Bednar, Hader, Munoz, and 4 potential exclusive closers with the Padres to see how that works out

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 8:00 PM, bbascom said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I heard the meeting actually happened a week or 2 ago so who knows what is going on. I'm not convinced they want to spend any more money this year honestly so I'm not overly hopeful...lol

Do you have a Boras dart board up yet?    Any other agent and he would have signed already.   

2 hours ago, lambert58 said:

Do you have a Boras dart board up yet?    Any other agent and he would have signed already.   

Yeah, no kidding. You watch, as soon as I make my pick tomorrow morning, they will sign him. That's my kind of luck. :(

47 minutes ago, bbascom said:

Yeah, no kidding. You watch, as soon as I make my pick tomorrow morning, they will sign him. That's my kind of luck. :(

No offense…but counting on it.  😂

2 hours ago, lambert58 said:

No offense…but counting on it.  😂

Understandable...lol

I mostly waited on that pick because the angels were among the rumored teams for Snell… could have picked him sooner but with my luck as soon as I made the pick there would have been an announcement he signed in LA 😂