Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Mike McCarthy Returning as HC for Dallas

Darn, I thought the Hoody, And J Jones would have made a great couple. 

As a lifelong, long suffering Commanders/Redskins fan, this is a little funny to me.

The only thing that have kept my Cowboy friends from completely losing it after this weekend, was the hope that Bill B. was already house shopping in the Dallas metro area.

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

They'd never co-exist.  Both want to pick the players, but only one has the power, and he isn't giving it up to anyone.  Remember, he let a back-to-back Super Bowl winner WALK because he wouldn't give up player acquisition duties.  Jones, in his mind, is a bigger deal than Belichick.

I think the pressure Jones puts on the team with all his antics and statements contributes to them being so tight at playoff time. They had the talent to go further this year, but crumbled under that pressure seemingly. 

I think McCarthy coming back is fine for Dallas as I don't think anyone better than him is available per se. At least as was rightfully stated, no one that will work with Jones and all the baggage he brings to the process. 

13 hours ago, weepaws said:

no.  

Both guys want to be the supreme authority (or boss) in their respective kingdoms.

you cant have more than one boss under the same roof it just wont work.   

I still say the Hoody would have made a very good fit for a team with the talent to win a super bowl, but it’s not going happen, and neither will the Cowboys win a super bowl with their current head coach.  I’m sure both Jones and Hoody could made it happen.  

Coaching isn’t the issue in Dallas, it’s the QB.  Dak played horribly last week and just padded his stats after that game was pretty much out of reach.  The only way the Hoodie or anyone else is going to get that team over the hump is by changing QBs.  And they’d better do it soon…while that team is still stacked with all that talent.

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

Coaching isn’t the issue in Dallas, it’s the QB.  Dak played horribly last week and just padded his stats after that game was pretty much out of reach.  The only way the Hoodie or anyone else is going to get that team over the hump is by changing QBs.  And they’d better do it soon…while that team is still stacked with all that talent.

He looks great in the regular season (at least he did this year), then chokes in the playoffs.

Tough call…he had pretty close to an MVP season before the GB game.

• Like 1

Coaching in the nfl is very underrated unlike all other sports.  I think Dak is a good enough Qb that can be coached up to be a super bowl winner.  He’s surrounded with plenty of talent, I think coaching is what can take him to the next step.  

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Coaching in the nfl is very underrated unlike all other sports.  I think Dak is a good enough Qb that can be coached up to be a super bowl winner.  He’s surrounded with plenty of talent, I think coaching is what can take him to the next step.  

Perhaps, but I think it's getting a little late in his career for him to be fixed by a coach.

If they were to say, sign Derrick Henry, and another good WR to go with CeeDee Lamb, maybe that would do it.

Brandin Cooks is a good WR, but he's older and not what he used to be. Tee Higgins is the first name that comes to mind as a WR that will be on the market.

I don't think it's realistic though that they sign both of them

Cowboys wouldn’t have gone as far has they did if it wasn’t for Dak on the offensive side. 

I don’t think bringing in Henry , whom I think isn’t much of an upgrade based on Henry’s weak last season.  

I think the right coach can help improve decision making for a player like Dak.  Not any new coach, but a coach with the hoody’s history could speak volumes in helping them go farther next season.  

• Like 1

The entire team sh1ts the bed in the playoffs, every year. I don’t think you can hang that on Dak alone. Clearly there is a top-down issue

I agree that Dak is talented.  It’s more of a mental thing.  Playoff games are much tougher than regular season because because of the pressure.  And he hasn’t proven that he can elevate his game under pressure.  The pressure is gone out the window once you’re down 27-0 with 2min left in the 2nd Qtr after you’ve just thrown a pick-6, because you’re now in a much different mental state…desperation.  I’d consider him an elite talent physically when fully healthy, but not an elite talent mentally when the stakes are raised.  His playoff record is 2-5 with plenty of turnovers in those games.

6 hours ago, JagFan said:

I agree he is not a superbowl winning QB and never will be.

but at the same time he should be doing better than a first round exit.   especially with this team he has around him.

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I agree he is not a superbowl winning QB and never will be.

but at the same time he should be doing better than a first round exit.   especially with this team he has around him.

Exactly, and why I say not the coaching staff’s fault he chokes under pressure.

Not exactly, he has the talent to win a super bowl, and the talent around him, coach can make a Big Difference.  

It was more than just Dak resulting in their early playoff exit. The Top 5 Dallas Defense could not stop the run or the pass either. The average yards of separation for Packers receivers in that game was being open by 5.2 yards. Aaron Jones destroyed the Dallas D as well.

4 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

It was more than just Dak resulting in their early playoff exit. The Top 5 Dallas Defense could not stop the run or the pass either. The average yards of separation for Packers receivers in that game was being open by 5.2 yards. Aaron Jones destroyed the Dallas D as well.

I think maybe they show too much during the regular season. Become predictable to where good coaches with playoff teams can figure out exactly what they’re going to do and how to beat it. Too predictable. That’s my guess anyway 

• Like 1