Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Big year for QBs in the draft

I hope the giants wait until next year. Should be a higher pick. 

12 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Who will be the golden QB this year? Carolina sold their soul on Bryce Young last year.

That's on Carolina, many teams would of passed on his size alone. 

If you listen to the scouts they're saying that Williams grades about as high as a QB can possibly grade, that's enough for me. 

14 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Bill Schroeder was a 1000 yard reciever yet he was not really a weapon.  DJ Moore has always underperformed his promise, though he has some promise.  Kmet needs to be used more, along with Big Bob Tonyan.  That could maybe happen if the Bears had an o-line.

As a Packer fan I hope the Bears become impatient again and scrap their plan and move in a new direction with Williams.  I am glad the packers did not get impatient with Love who i defended from the start.

DJ Moore has not ever "under-performed". He had shltty QBs and offensive systems. 

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

DJ Moore has not ever "under-performed". He had shltty QBs and offensive systems. 

I would not argue that Moore has not had challenges associated with Q.B. and system.

3 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Chicago Bears wide receiver DJ Moore drops quarterback Justin Fields' perfectly placed deep bomb (nfl.com)

Perhaps my problem with Moore is I unfairly recall his drops and not his successes.  Memory is a fallable thing and I certainly suffer from failure to accurately percieve matters from time to time.

10 minutes ago, MDC said:

That’s not an opinion. More than half of the starting QBs in the league were drafted in Round 1.

And many of them suck. How is that "Generational Trevor Lawrence" working out. Pretty mediiocre.  Bears should build the team first is my take. :dunno:

10 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

And many of them suck. How is that "Generational Trevor Lawrence" working out. Pretty mediiocre.  Bears should build the team first is my take. :dunno:

The hit rate on 1st round QBs is bad so you’re banking on duh Bears to find the next Brady or Purdy instead. With their long glorious history of franchise signal callers I’m sure they’ll nail it in Rounds 6 or 7.

:doh: 

3 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Chicago Bears wide receiver DJ Moore drops quarterback Justin Fields' perfectly placed deep bomb (nfl.com)

Perhaps my problem with Moore is I unfairly recall his drops and not his successes.  Memory is a fallable thing and I certainly suffer from failure to accurately percieve matters from time to time.

70.6 catch rate was not bad for a guy who had a QB that consistently under and over throws receivers. 

Just now, MDC said:

The hit rate on 1st round QBs is bad so you’re banking on duh Bears to find the next Brady or Purdy instead. With their long glorious history of franchise signal callers I’m sure they’ll mail it in Rounds 6 or 7.

:doh: 

Ok. You want to.go there. What QB did Poles pick for the Bears in that long history you are talking about?

23 minutes ago, MDC said:

That’s not an opinion. More than half of the starting QBs in the league were drafted in Round 1.

And how many are on different teams after flaming out with the team that drafted them? Mayfield, Goff and Carr off the top of my head. Trey Lawrence. How many are still on teams and in the process of flaming out? D Jones,  that kid on the jets, and Mac Jones ? Dak, Hurts, Purdy weren’t first round picks. There is no formula. 

6 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Ok. You want to.go there. What QB did Poles pick for the Bears in that long history you are talking about?

The point is that even though the bust rate is high among 1st round QBs, it’s infinitely higher in every other round. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And how many are on different teams after flaming out with the team that drafted them? Mayfield, Goff and Carr off the top of my head. Trey Lawrence. How many are still on teams and in the process of flaming out? D Jones,  that kid on the jets, and Mac Jones ? Dak, Hurts, Purdy weren’t first round picks. There is no formula

Yep. None whatsoever. 

How contested was the Manning v Leaf debate AT THE TIME? Not now in retrospect. 

The freakin GOAT was a 5th round pick. Or 6th or whatever...

Give me Bo Nix or whoever, but not at #1. The Bears could kill this draft by trading down. 

49 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Bill Schroeder was a 1000 yard reciever yet he was not really a weapon.  DJ Moore has always underperformed his promise, though he has some promise.  Kmet needs to be used more, along with Big Bob Tonyan.  That could maybe happen if the Bears had an o-line.

As a Packer fan I hope the Bears become impatient again and scrap their plan and move in a new direction with Williams.  I am glad the packers did not get impatient with Love who i defended from the start.

Dj Moores low total yards was 5 yards less than the Packers leading reciever this season. He has 4 1000 yard season in 6 season.  2 of them while missing a game or 2.  While playing with Carolinas QBs and Fields.  

DJ Moore is very good.  

Oh so ad a Packers fan you would rather them do something different?  You do know Lafleur is undefeated thus far vs Chicago right?  Which covers Fields' whole career.  

Agree to disagree lol.  Id love for them to stay with Fields.  

3 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Give me Bo Nix or whoever, but not at #1. The Bears could kill this draft by trading down. 

Assuming they pick the right players.  Which is most of the battle.  

In my time the Giants have spent four first round picks on QB’s: Simms, D Brown, Eli and D Jones. They are 2 for 4. But there is a qualifier:  Two of them played at Duke, noted football factory. 

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Assuming they pick the right players.  Which is most of the battle.  

What did you think of their trade last year?

43 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Also how coukd they get impatient?  He wasnt playing.  Fields has years of starts.  Love didn't.   Apples to oranges.  

49 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Hurts, Prescott, Love, and Allen were not good enough.  Nobody wanted Purdy or Brady or back in the day Starr or Unitas.  Ryan Leaf was a sure fire hof as was Todd Marinovich and more recently Sam Darnold and really anybody drafted by the Jets.

Give Fields time and support, 

When by year 3 of starting in the NFL after being at a place like Ohio State the opposing rival LBer says after the game "we knew if we took his 1st read away he woukd turn into a rb"......you know he doesn't have it.  

Josh Allen played at focking Wyoming for focks sake.  His rookie year he even had less than. Fields does.  Waaaaay less.  

Hurts?  Prescott?  Not following you on mentioning them.   

Purdy or Brady?  Not understanding the comparison there either.  

Remember when the great 49's traded away 2 future #1s for Trey Lance?

And who's that dude on the Jets? Jacksonville who? 

9 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

What did you think of their trade last year?

No brainer.  But they also werent quite ready to move off of Fields.  Now they are....

All depends who and how much they like a guy.  If they really love a guy take them.  If they don't just love Williams or Maye then sure trade back and roll the dice. I have no idea how they evaluate these guys.  But I have always said if you need a QB, and you love a particular guy, and you have the chance to draft him where you are standing.....you do it.  There would be no use in scouting anything otherwise.  

They should do whatever their eyes tell them to do.  

You never have a sure thing at QB, but I think Maye is the safest bet.  After that Penix, though I know most people don’t agree with that and I admit his stock went down for me a little when his trademark accuracy faltered under serious pressure in the title game.

15 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

No brainer.  But they also werent quite ready to move off of Fields.  Now they are....

All depends who and how much they like a guy.  If they really love a guy take them.  If they don't just love Williams or Maye then sure trade back and roll the dice. I have no idea how they evaluate these guys.  But I have always said if you need a QB, and you love a particular guy, and you have the chance to draft him where you are standing.....you do it.  There would be no use in scouting anything otherwise.  

They should do whatever their eyes tell them to do.  

Packers have been brilliant. Keep drafting QBs and let them sit. More teams should do it. It works. 

Honestly, I wouldn't care if the Bears keep Fields and trade back and pick 3 QBs this year. Just get a guy that can focking read a defense for once. 

If the Bears get a young quality DE, their defense will be top 5 for at least the next few years.

If they also get Harrison or Bowers, and a quality center, they could be a top 5 offense even if they use Bagant at QB. 

classic seafoam. starts a topic and it's largely about what the Bears could do... then gets butthurt by almost every comment. :lol:

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

And who's that dude on the Jets? Jacksonville who? 

Are you insinuating Jacksonville doesn't have it's franchise QB? 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

They have their franchise losing QB. I agree. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

He’s no Jay Cutler.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

When by year 3 of starting in the NFL after being at a place like Ohio State the opposing rival LBer says after the game "we knew if we took his 1st read away he woukd turn into a rb"......you know he doesn't have it.  

Josh Allen played at focking Wyoming for focks sake.  His rookie year he even had less than. Fields does.  Waaaaay less.  

Hurts?  Prescott?  Not following you on mentioning them.   

Purdy or Brady?  Not understanding the comparison there either.  

I think his reason for mentioning Hurts, Prescott, Love  was that he was giving examples of QBs who were not considered at the top of their respective classes. for all the crap Dak gets, the list of guys picked before Dak is sad. Hurts was a 2nd rounder and Love was pick.. 25?  So I think or hope his point was that you can, indeed trade back if there is not someone who stands out to you and you think the team benefits more from stockpiling assets.    Furthering that by mentioning two guys who were afterthoughts in their drafts (Brady, Purdy) although that is silly lottery ticket stuff. 

not saying I agree

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

In my time the Giants have spent four first round picks on QB’s: Simms, D Brown, Eli and D Jones. They are 2 for 4. But there is a qualifier:  Two of them played at Duke, noted football factory. 

I said many times to friends Daniel Jones was Dave Brown 2.0.... which is a huge insult to Daniel Jones. 

Simms was overrated though. 

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Also how coukd they get impatient?  He wasnt playing.  Fields has years of starts.  Love didn't.   Apples to oranges.  

Plenty of folks were impatient with Love just on practice, preseason games, and his first six starts.

2 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

And who's that dude on the Jets?

Again, that's on them. Both were very raw, neither had a Caleb Williams pedigree. 

2 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Again, that's on them. Both were very raw, neither had a Caleb Williams pedigree. 

Maybe, but you want a guy that does this? Seriously. Why was he convulsing while he cried so much. Why was he crying to mommy? Why was his back up better than him?

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

Maybe, but you want a guy that does this?

He's a puss, but a damn talented one. Perhaps he cares, Justin Fields doesn't

Just now, Maximum Overkill said:

He's a puss, but a damn talented one. Perhaps he cares, Justin Fields doesn't

I don't care about Fields. I'm talking about the upcoming draft. 

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Caleb Williams will NEVER be a top tier QB in the NFL.   Book it.

I have no clue but lean in this direction. 

I mean, WTF cries like that to his mommy over a meaningless focking game in front if the world?

33 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Plenty iof folks wdere imapotident with Love just on practice, preseason games, and his first six starts.

I must have missed that.  Many thought he may not be good because how can GB pull another.   Dont remember too many ppl saying hes wrong guy. Or declaring him toast unless you listen to espn sports soap opera tv.  

Again how can GB get impatient?  Hes had 1 season.   You are glad they didn't bench him?  That was never an option.   Still don't get it.  

There was zero shot they draft him in 1st round and just throw him away before they see him.  

Again 2 very different situations.  No one in GB was saying they need to go draft a new QB and get rid of Love.