Sign in to follow this  
squistion

Florida teachers can discuss sexual orientation and gender ID under ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill settlement

They can say "gay" again!

https://apnews.com/article/florida-dont-say-gay-bill-settlement-987904b3e19122d719cf468034746b6e

Florida teachers can discuss sexual orientation and gender ID under ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill settlement

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Students and teachers can discuss sexual orientation and gender identity in Florida classrooms, provided it’s not part of instruction, under a settlement reached Monday between Florida education officials and civil rights attorneys who had challenged a state law which critics dubbed “Don’t Say Gay.”

The settlement clarifies what is allowed in Florida classrooms following passage two years ago of the law prohibiting instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in early grades. Opponents said the law had created confusion about whether teachers could identity themselves as LGBTQ+ or if they even could have rainbow stickers in classrooms.

Other states used the Florida law as a template to pass prohibitions on classroom instruction on gender identity or sexual orientation. Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky and North Carolina are among the states with versions of the law.

Under the terms of the settlement, the Florida Board of Education will send instructions to every school district saying the Florida law doesn’t prohibit discussing LGBTQ+ people, nor prevent anti-bullying rules on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity or disallow Gay-Straight Alliance groups. The settlement also spells out that the law is neutral — meaning what applies to LGBTQ+ people also applies to heterosexual people — and that it doesn’t apply to library books not being used for instruction in the classroom.

The law also doesn’t apply to books with incidental references to LGBTQ+ characters or same-sex couples, “as they are not instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity any more than a math problem asking students to add bushels of apples is instruction on apple farming,” according to the settlement.

“What this settlement does, is, it re-establishes the fundamental principal, that I hope all Americans agree with, which is every kid in this country is entitled to an education at a public school where they feel safe, their dignity is respected and where their families and parents are welcomed,” Roberta Kaplan, the lead attorney for the plaintiffs, said in an interview. “This shouldn’t be a controversial thing.”

I appreciate the opportunity to convince depressed kids they'll feel better about life if they mutilate themselves. but I think I'll pass and stick to teaching 8th grade math in Florida.

• Like 1

A red team state, shame of those conservatives, wait it might get a lot worst, trump might be president,  oh the crap this country could be under if you so called conservatives own the office of president.  

Blue team is just has bad, even sometimes worst.  Same bs team. 

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

A red team state, shame of those conservatives, wait it might get a lot worst, trump might be president,  oh the crap this country could be under if you so called conservatives own the office of president.  

Blue team is just has bad, even sometimes worst.  Same bs team. 

what?

9 hours ago, Drizzay said:

Don't say straight bill.

Yea would also be an accurate interpretation of it, as is “don’t say gay”

I guess it will need a new nickname then.

“Don’t teach tranny”?

12 hours ago, squistion said:

Students and teachers can discuss sexual orientation and gender identity

And why would you be happy about this, you pervert!!! 🌈

38 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Yea would also be an accurate interpretation of it, as is “don’t say gay”

"Don't say gay" turned out to be accurate in some Florida school districts as teachers and students who were LGBTQ were forbidden to talk about it (I posted in another thread about the high school valedictorian who was told beforehand by the principle that he couldn't talk about his gay activism in his valedictorian address or the mic would be cut (so he literally couldn't say "gay").

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, squistion said:

"Don't say gay" turned out to be accurate in some Florida school districts as teachers and students who were LGBTQ were forbidden to talk about it (I posted in another thread about the high school valedictorian who was told beforehand by the principle that he couldn't talk about his gay activism in his valedictorian address or the mic would be cut (so he literally couldn't say "gay").

Yeah, they should stop pushing gay. I agree.

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

what?

Retard I am a moderate logic.

“The law also doesn’t apply to books with incidental references to LGBTQ+ characters or same-sex couples”

Weird that AP Pravda would describe images of prepubescent boys sucking each other as “incidental references”

Just now, Dizkneelande said:

“The law also doesn’t apply to books with incidental references to LGBTQ+ characters or same-sex couples”

Weird that AP Pravda would describe images of prepubescent boys sucking each other as “incidental references”

Not true, those type of books would not be considered incidental references to LGBTQ characters.

My question is why??  I have taught for 30yrs....its never come up.  No one asks...no one even thinks about it.  We have a few transformers but...they are just attention seekers...id be more concerned if they learned how to read an analog clock or use proper english...and on a side note....the freaks, geeks and trans...are the most well read (they read for fun)  easiest to converse with...and have the best handwriting.  Yeah...they have some issues but at least they think and have cognitive thoughts.

29 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

My question is why??  I have taught for 30yrs....its never come up.  No one asks...no one even thinks about it.  We have a few transformers but...they are just attention seekers...id be more concerned if they learned how to read an analog clock or use proper english...and on a side note....the freaks, geeks and trans...are the most well read (they read for fun)  easiest to converse with...and have the best handwriting.  Yeah...they have some issues but at least they think and have cognitive thoughts.

And then they kill themselves. What great people they must be. 

26 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

And then they kill themselves. What great people they must be. 

Yeah...attempts have been made

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Mindlessly repeating leftist propaganda by throwing out big meaningless words works well around a friendly crowd.   Once challenge they get angry because their rhetoric does not stand up to scrutiny.  This is why they angerly protest any speakers with opposing views.  

What the settlement does:

https://eqfl.org/historic-settlement-achieved-challenge-floridas-dont-say-gay-or-trans-law

Historic Settlement Achieved in Challenge to Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay or Trans” Law

TALLAHASSEE, FL — Equality Florida celebrates a landmark achievement in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights in Florida by announcing a historic settlement in the challenge against the "Don't Say Gay or Trans" law. This settlement, reached with the Florida State Board of Education, Florida Department of Education, and various school districts, embodies the bravery of over a dozen parents, students, and teachers, along with the steadfast commitment of our allies at Family Equality.

This agreement successfully dismantles the most harmful impacts of the law, ensuring it cannot be wielded as a tool of discrimination against LGBTQ+ students, educators, and families. The settlement secures several critical protections and clarifications, including:

• Free Expression Restored: Students and teachers can now speak and write freely about sexual orientation and gender identity in classroom participation and assignments.

• Anti-Bullying Protections Strengthened: The settlement reinforces safeguards against bullying based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

• Gay-Straight Alliances Protected: GSAs are officially protected, providing students with essential support and advocacy spaces.

• Classroom References Clarified: The law cannot prohibit references to LGBTQ+ individuals, relationships, families, or topics in any educational or extracurricular context.

• Non-Discrimination Assured: Targeting LGBTQ+ persons, couples, families, or issues under the guise of this law is explicitly forbidden.

• Extracurricular Activities Protected: Participation in and support of LGBTQ+ student clubs and cultural presentations remain unaffected.

8 hours ago, squistion said:

Not true, those type of books would not be considered incidental references to LGBTQ characters.

You need teachers to teach your Kids about gender and sexuality? You're the parent, don't you talk to your kids? 

Pervert 🌈

Maybe I can get away with showing up to work Monday in clown makeup and dressed like Cardi B.

9 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

LGBTQ is a hyper sexualized lifestyle.  It’s woven into everything.  That’s why they have to talk about it 

Yep. fattamponusinggeneralpimpledoosh loves his gay and loves pushing it. 

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

LGBTQ is a hyper sexualized lifestyle.  It’s woven into everything.  That’s why they have to talk about it 

Lesbians are hyper sexualized? :mellow:

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Lesbians are hyper sexualized? 

You're gay. 😆

5 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Yes he is.

Ir's public information now.