Sign in to follow this  
RaiderHaters Revenge

Ohtani Gambling Story

10 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm?

Ohtani's biggest mistakes were not learning English and being naive and trusting this con man......

Ohtani’s former interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, had inaccuracies in public biography

As a brewing gambling scandal has ensnared Los Angeles Dodgers superstar Shohei Ohtani, questions have arisen about the reliability of the tale’s primary narrator thus far: Ohtani’s now former interpreter and best friend, Ippei Mizuhara. Those questions have only grown, with increased scrutiny on Mizuhara revealing that key points of his publicly available biography appear to be either exaggerated or inaccurate.

For years, the Los Angeles Angels media guide lists Mizuhara as having graduated from the University of California, Riverside in 2007, and that he spent spring training in 2012 working for the New York Yankees as an interpreter for Japanese pitcher Hideki Okajima. Also, multiple news reports noted that Mizuhara served as Okajima’s interpreter in 2010 with the Boston Red Sox — where he reportedly got his first major-league opportunity.

disputed the notion that Mizuhara had ever attended the school, much less having graduated. “Our university records do not show a student by the name of Ippei Mizuhara having attended UC Riverside,” a school spokesman told The Athletic.

UC Riverside did not respond when asked if it was possible Mizuhara attended the school under a different name, or if anyone with a similar name ever attended. Spokespeople representing Ohtani declined to comment when asked if they had believed Mizuhara’s biography during his tenure with Ohtani.

Meanwhile, multiple news reports show that Okajima failed a physical on Feb. 17, 2012, before spring training, when he was released by the Yankees. Mizuhara could have worked with Okajima before the official start of camp, during the month or so when players on minor-league deals might arrive early to work out. But the Angels media guide has stated annually since 2019 that Mizuhara “served as an interpreter for Hideki Okajima during Yankees Spring Training in 2012.”

Earlier this week, the Red Sox released a statement insisting that Mizuhara has never worked for the team.

“We are reaching out to all of you because of reports in various outlets stating that Ippei Mizuhara worked for the Red Sox as an interpreter, which is incorrect,” read a message from the club distributed to media members on Friday. “Mizuhara was never employed by the Boston Red Sox in any capacity and was not an interpreter for Hideki Okajima during the pitcher’s time with the team. Please know that we have thoroughly checked our files to ensure we are providing accurate information.”

Mizuhara and Okajima could not be reached for comment.

Mizhuara’s connection to Okajima seems to have been exaggerated over time. Multiple news reports have linked Mizuhara to Okajima over different periods. That includes a Nippon.com story from 2021 that said Mizuhara was Okajima’s interpreter during the 2010 season with the Red Sox. But in addition to the Red Sox’s denial, archives from the Boston Globe in April and May 2010 name Ryo Shinkawa as Okajima’s interpreter. The team’s media guide from 2010 lists two people as team interpreters that season, but not Mizuhara.

Searches on two different news databases did not bring up results featuring Mizuhara before 2018, when Ohtani first signed with the Angels.

In devising a media guide, the standard protocol requires trust between the media relations department and the rest of the employees, according to interviews with media relations staffers from other clubs, who requested anonymity to speak candidly. The media relations department does not have the time to vet the resume claims of each employee, the staffers said. A media relations staffer will often send a proposed biographic thumbnail for pre-approval to the employee, or ask the employee for biographical information in publishing the guide.

Mizuhara was terminated from his position with the Dodgers on Wednesday after Ohtani’s representatives alleged that he stole at least $4.5 million from the two-way superstar to cover his own gambling losses. Mizuhara initially told ESPN on Tuesday that Ohtani had agreed to pay off Mizuhara’s debts, and was present when the money was wired to Matt Bowyer, the alleged bookmaker currently under federal investigation. But soon after Mizuhara spoke with ESPN, a spokesman for Ohtani recanted the account and said that Ohtani had not been aware of Mizuhara’s gambling activity.

The Associated Press reported that the IRS has opened a criminal investigation into Mizuhara. ESPN reported that Ohtani’s representatives have initiated a criminal complaint against Mizuhara, but declined to state which agency. Major League Baseball announced on Friday that it opened a formal investigation into the situation.

Until these recent events, the 39-year-old Mizuhara had been the most prominent of a small group of interpreters working with Asian players in Major League Baseball. He was seen as Ohtani’s right-hand man, always at the side of the two-way superstar, and he was one of the most public-facing people in the sport.

Dodgers Rumors: Shohei Ohtani Wasn’t Aware Of Ippei Mizuhara’s Gambling Until Clubhouse Meeting

The Seoul Series brought about multiple off-the-field distractions for the Los Angeles Dodgers, first with a bomb threat on Opening Day, then an illegal gambling scandal involving Ippei Mizuhara and by extension Shohei Ohtani as well.

Mizuhara’s purported betting came to light when a federal investigation into Southern California bookmaker Mathew Bowyer turned up wire transfers from a bank account under Ohtani’s name.

“In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft, and we are turning the matter over to the authorities,” Berk Brettler LLP, the law firm representing Ohtani, said in a statement.

According to Tisha Thompson of ESPN, Ohtani was not aware of Mizuhara’s gambling activity and debts until the interpreter addressed the Dodgers clubhouse in Seoul:

After the game, the Dodgers hold a meeting in the clubhouse, where team owner Mark Walter tells the players a negative story is coming, according to a team official later interviewed by ESPN. Mizuhara apologizes, according to the official, and tells the team he has a gambling addiction. A Dodgers executive, Andrew Friedman, stands up and says Ohtani had helped to cover Mizuhara’s losses, the team official and others present said.

On the way back to the hotel, Ohtani starts asking questions about what had been said in the clubhouse, the Ohtani spokesman told ESPN, and his representatives say that’s when Ohtani told them he didn’t recognize Mizuhara’s version of the events. According to the Dodgers official and Ohtani’s spokesman, Ohtani’s representatives had continued to rely on Mizuhara to communicate with Ohtani while they were dealing with the situation, and Mizuhara did not tell Ohtani what was happening.

2 hours ago, jonmx said:

Dodgers Rumors: Shohei Ohtani Wasn’t Aware Of Ippei Mizuhara’s Gambling Until Clubhouse Meeting

The Seoul Series brought about multiple off-the-field distractions for the Los Angeles Dodgers, first with a bomb threat on Opening Day, then an illegal gambling scandal involving Ippei Mizuhara and by extension Shohei Ohtani as well.

Mizuhara’s purported betting came to light when a federal investigation into Southern California bookmaker Mathew Bowyer turned up wire transfers from a bank account under Ohtani’s name.

“In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft, and we are turning the matter over to the authorities,” Berk Brettler LLP, the law firm representing Ohtani, said in a statement.

According to Tisha Thompson of ESPN, Ohtani was not aware of Mizuhara’s gambling activity and debts until the interpreter addressed the Dodgers clubhouse in Seoul:

After the game, the Dodgers hold a meeting in the clubhouse, where team owner Mark Walter tells the players a negative story is coming, according to a team official later interviewed by ESPN. Mizuhara apologizes, according to the official, and tells the team he has a gambling addiction. A Dodgers executive, Andrew Friedman, stands up and says Ohtani had helped to cover Mizuhara’s losses, the team official and others present said.

On the way back to the hotel, Ohtani starts asking questions about what had been said in the clubhouse, the Ohtani spokesman told ESPN, and his representatives say that’s when Ohtani told them he didn’t recognize Mizuhara’s version of the events. According to the Dodgers official and Ohtani’s spokesman, Ohtani’s representatives had continued to rely on Mizuhara to communicate with Ohtani while they were dealing with the situation, and Mizuhara did not tell Ohtani what was happening.

This sounds plausible, but earlier you stated it as if it were a fact that Ohtani “had no idea what was going on”

Japs and all the other Chineseeses are nuts for gambling. I don’t believe for a minute Ohtani is clean. 

8 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

This sounds plausible, but earlier you stated it as if it were a fact that Ohtani “had no idea what was going on”

I should have posted the rest of the story where it made it clear thst Ohtani did not know what was going on.  Even while the interpreter was confessing he was still telling lies and then telling Ohtani a completely different version.  Ohtani had no idea the gambling issue and payments until later. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Japs and all the other Chineseeses are nuts for gambling. I don’t believe for a minute Ohtani is clean. 

That is not only bigotted, it is incorrect.  Not a soul has ever seen Ohtani gamble on anything.   Even the bookie says he never spoke or communicated with Ohtani in any way and only knew Ohtani connection  because of the wire transfers.   

10 minutes ago, jonmx said:

I should have posted the rest of the story where it made it clear thst Ohtani did not know what was going on.  Even while the interpreter was confessing he was still telling lies and then telling Ohtani a completely different version.  Ohtani had no idea the gambling issue and payments until later. 

It doesn’t really “make it clear,” that’s just the current story they’re telling.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

It doesn’t really “make it clear,” that’s just the current story they’re telling.

Yes it is 100 percent clear.  Ohtani was a total victim who was extremely naive and taken advantage of by this liar and crook.  Ohtani will face no punishment for this from baseball or the feds.  

18 minutes ago, jonmx said:

Yes it is 100 percent clear.  Ohtani was a total victim who was extremely naive and taken advantage of by this liar and crook.  Ohtani will face no punishment for this from baseball or the feds.  

For someone that thinks the government is trying to kill us or something, you seem pretty quick to believe this new version of events.  Like I said, it seems plausible, but they still haven’t explained how exactly he got access to the money.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

For someone that thinks the government is trying to kill us or something, you seem pretty quick to believe this new version of events.  Like I said, it seems plausible, but they still haven’t explained how exactly he got access to the money.

In the history of government, they have given us no reason to believe them and still show they are working solely in the interest of the rich establishment.  It is not that I think the government is screwing us over on our rights, I know for a fact they are.

As far as Ohtani, it is not a new version.  Ohtani was being lied to by the interpreter and never agreed to or understood what the original version was.   Once he got back and another interpreter talked to him who explained what the story that was being told was, Ohtani was in complete shock and then had his version told.  

30 minutes ago, jonmx said:

In the history of government, they have given us no reason to believe them and still show they are working solely in the interest of the rich establishment.  It is not that I think the government is screwing us over on our rights, I know for a fact they are.

As far as Ohtani, it is not a new version.  Ohtani was being lied to by the interpreter and never agreed to or understood what the original version was.   Once he got back and another interpreter talked to him who explained what the story that was being told was, Ohtani was in complete shock and then had his version told.  

…according to the current story.  I think I’d need to hear an explanation for how exactly he got access to the money to truly believe it.

Wasn’t Mizuhara fired before the “spokesman” made the initial statement?  They were really using Mizuhara to translate even knowing he was being fired?

according to the current story.  I think I’d need to hear an explanation for how exactly he got access to the money to truly believe it.

Agree. There's a lot of shenanigans going on. 

I think it's pretty clear that Ohtani paid this gentleman to make bets on his behalf. Now that he's been pinched I bet the truth comes out. 

Getcha popcorn ready! 

…according to the current story.  I think I’d need to hear an explanation for how exactly he got access to the money to truly believe it.

Wasn’t Mizuhara fired before the “spokesman” made the initial statement?  They were really using Mizuhara to translate even knowing he was being fired?

Mizuhara was Shoehi's closest friend and they were hardly separated.  It is highly likely he helped Shoehi on English websites which his account was set up on.  And yes, Mizuhara was still interpreting to Shoehi while he was telling the story to the media.  It is not the current story, it is the story. 

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Agree. There's a lot of shenanigans going on. 

I think it's pretty clear that Ohtani paid this gentleman to make bets on his behalf. Now that he's been pinched I bet the truth comes out. 

Getcha popcorn ready! 

I would bet any amount of money Shoehi had no involvement in the betting.

6 minutes ago, jonmx said:

I’d agree that is seems unlikely Ohtani was involved in the betting.

I still wouldn’t rule out that he paid his debt though.

8 minutes ago, jonmx said:

He was DEFINITELY involved one way or another. Either the money was stolen or he was helping out a buddy. What's the story? As far as the Feds care, it was his money and If they can't sort this out then Ohtani is the one getting pinched. 

Just now, TimHauck said:

I’d agree that is seems unlikely Ohtani was involved in the betting.

I still wouldn’t rule out that he paid his debt though.

Maybe not completely, but several people in the room notice Ohtani became visibly shocked when Ohtani spoke to a second interpreter who was in the room as if he had no idea what just went down. 

Just now, Maximum Overkill said:

He was DEFINITELY involved one way or another. Either the money was stolen or he was helping out a buddy. What's the story? As far as the Feds care, it was his money and If they can't sort this out then Ohtani is the one getting pinched. 

Not if he was swindled, which it very much appeared he was.  

21 minutes ago, jonmx said:

We know nothing yet. 

1 hour ago, jonmx said:

Interpreter swindles him out of 4.5 million? Agent, yeah. Accountant, lawyer, finance guy? sure. Interpreter? Nah. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The more I have the less I gamble. I have A LOT less than Ohtani

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

We know nothing yet. 

We know the interpreted lied about everything in his past.   We know that the interpreter is the one who met up with the bookie and made all the communications.  We know that the interpreter gambles and Ohtani has showed no interest in gambling in his life.   

I‘m with Jon on this one. I think this translator dude is a scumbag. 

Would I be totally shocked if Ohtani plays the ponies and this guy was fronting for him. I guess not too much either. 

But I’m going with the translator is the gambling fiend.

21 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Interpreter swindles him out of 4.5 million? Agent, yeah. Accountant, lawyer, finance guy? sure. Interpreter? Nah. 

Everyone with knowledge of the events backs up Ohtani's account, and it was the interpreter who was responsible for telling the agent the first story.  Ohtani has told one and only one story and has never changed it.  Everyone jumping on Ohtani-trashing bandwagon look like fools.   Yes the interpreter used Ohtani's account to cover his own gambling debts.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

One of the most negative aspects of social media is how it amplifies the mob mentality and brings out the very worst in people.  

Shohei Ohtani is an extremely dedicated man who is focused 24/7 on being the very best baseball player ever.  Shohei is far and away the best two-way player baseball has ever seen.  Shohei is also incredibly honest and good, but naive man with a child-like love for the game.  Shohei has zero interest in gambling.  We know 100 percent the interpreter is the gambler and is a very slick con man who got in debt way way over his head and who took advantage of a man who can not speak the language.  There is nothing to suggest otherwise,  But yet negative media stories along witb ugly memes often with bigotted themes are flourishing over the internet 

Instead of society building up the very best the world has to offer, the mob wants to tear it down.  We have a society who loves to rush out and throw stones to destroy way more than knowing the truth. The truth will continue to come out, and it will prove beyond any doubt that Shohei was the victim, but the damage will forever leave a deep scare. 

Edited by jonmx

2 minutes ago, jonmx said:

I believe one of the most negative aspects of social media is how it amplifies the mob mentality and brings out the very worst in people.  

Shohei Ohtani is an extremely dedicated man who is focused 24/7 on being the very best baseball player ever.  Shohei is far and away the best two-way player baseball has ever seen.  Shohei is also incredibly honest and good, but naive man with a child-like love for the game.  Shohei has zero interest in gambling.  We know 100 percent the interpreter is the gambler and is a very slick con man who got in debt way way over his head and who took advantage of a man who can not speak the language.

Instead of building up the very best the world has to offer, the mob wants to tear it down.  We have a society who loves to throw stones and destroy way more than knowing the truth. 

I don’t see many people that actually think Ohtani gambled.  At worst he paid his friend’s debts, but yes certainly could have been stolen from.

6 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I don’t see many people that actually think Ohtani gambled.  At worst he paid his friend’s debts, but yes certainly could have been stolen from.

There have been several national stories suggesting everything is too suspicious and lots of memes with a Pete Rose theme that are clearly suggesting he absolutely gambled.  Lots of stories and posts suggesting he should be banned from baseball.  

1 hour ago, jonmx said:

There have been several national stories suggesting everything is too suspicious and lots of memes with a Pete Rose theme that are clearly suggesting he absolutely gambled.  Lots of stories and posts suggesting he should be banned from baseball.  

You're very serious and obviously agitated. What's your dog in this fight? 

I'm not as gullible as some, I know a rat when I smell one. So do the Feds. 

Carrying a black folder that contained in detail in Japanese what he sought to say, Shohei Ohtani laid out a striking, shocking claim in clear terms.

Ippei Mizuhara, Ohtani’s interpreter and close friend since arriving in Major League Baseball “has been stealing money from my account and has told lies,” Ohtani alleged Monday in his first public comments since Mizuhara’s firing. The Los Angeles Dodgers star unspooled a version of events in which he claimed Mizuhara admitted he took money from his accounts to pay off at least $4.5 million in debts to an illegal bookmaker.

The allegations were firm, and bluntly stated, putting the focus on direct claims that Mizuhara lied to him and Dodgers officials in addition to stealing a massive sum.

Ohtani sat calmly as he read his 12-minute statement alongside new interpreter Will Ireton in front of some 70 reporters, with the Los Angeles Dodgers’ top brass (including CEO Stan Kasten, chief marketing officer Lon Rosen, president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman and general manager Brandon Gomes) as well as manager Dave Roberts and teammates Kiké Hernández and Joe Kelly. No Dodgers official other than Roberts has spoken publicly since Mizuhara’s firing.

Ohtani read from his prepared list of notes, staring blankly ahead as Ireton interpreted his answers into English, and did not take any questions from the media. Video cameras were forced to remain outside. These were the first public statements Ohtani had made with anyone other than Mizuhara by his side since his introductory press conference with the Los Angeles Angels in December 2017.
This was his chance to echo what his representatives have messaged since Mizuhara was fired on Thursday when the news of the payments went public.

First, Ohtani said he never bet on baseball or any other sport and “never have asked someone to do it on my behalf. I have never (gone) through a bookmaker to bet on sports.”

Second, Ohtani said he did not make the wire transfers to alleged illegal bookmaker Matthew Bowyer, the purported transaction that thrust Ohtani and Mizuhara into the spotlight and onto the radar of reporters from the Los Angeles Times and ESPN.

Mizuhara, Ohtani alleged, never told him that those news outlets were pursuing a story regarding those payments, despite Mizuhara claiming that Ohtani was in the know both on the payments and the conversations he was having with ESPN.

Ohtani said he had no idea about Mizuhara’s gambling issues until Mizuhara addressed the clubhouse in a rushed, eerie postgame meeting that included Kasten, Friedman and owner Mark Walter in Seoul, South Korea. It was there, Ohtani said Monday, that he was able to parse out some of what Mizuhara was saying in English, though without an interpreter standing next to him, he couldn’t understand all of it.

The two walked out of the home clubhouse at the Gocheok Skydome together. All appeared well, though Ohtani sensed “there was something amiss,” he said Monday.

Mizuhara had told Ohtani they would speak privately upon returning to the team hotel, according to the player. It was there, Ohtani said, that Mizuhara revealed the extent of his gambling debts and admitted he was using the account and sending money to Bowyer. In subsequent conversations with his representatives at CAA as well as the Dodgers, “(they) at that moment found out as well that they have been lied to.”

While Ohtani said he and his lawyers are having “the proper authorities” handle these allegations, it’s unclear which authorities they have reported this to. Mizuhara and Bowyer are the subject of an IRS investigation. Bowyer remains the subject of a federal investigation as well.

Major League Baseball opened its investigation into the saga on Friday. While it’s not clear whether the league has formally requested an interview with Ohtani as part of its investigation, Ohtani said, “I am completely assisting in all investigations that are taking place right now.”

How Mizuhara got access to Ohtani’s account, let alone sent multiple transfers without Ohtani’s knowledge, remains a massive question. Ohtani and Mizuhara had far from the typical player-interpreter relationship. Their friendship featured the two together essentially 365 days a year, with Mizuhara serving as Ohtani’s driver early in his big-league career, and, in recent months, catch partner and dogsitter among other duties. A key part of the investigation will be to determine how much money left Ohtani’s account, and how it moved from Ohtani’s account allegedly without his knowledge.

Also under scrutiny is how the Dodgers and Ohtani’s representatives entrusted Mizuhara enough to have him be the lone point person to Ohtani while they knew Mizuhara was the subject of this line of questioning. Rather, they followed their typical order of operations: Every communication from the Dodgers, agent Nez Balelo or his representatives at CAA went through Mizuhara, even without Ohtani present. That meant no one from the Dodgers or CAA supposedly ever talked to Ohtani directly about the looming story involving Mizuhara before the interpreter addressed the club after Wednesday’s season opener. Mizuhara claimed to ESPN he never misrepresented anything while interpreting for Ohtani.

“I’m very saddened and shocked that someone who I trusted has done this,” Ohtani said.

And while Ohtani said in strong terms that he never bet on baseball, or any sports, a pending investigation will have to take a closer look at what wagers Mizuhara made. The former interpreter claimed repeatedly to ESPN that he bet on international soccer, NBA, NFL and college football, but never on baseball.

In breaking his silence, Ohtani made clear there is now a divide with the person he’s been closest to since he was in his early 20s. The specificity behind his claims — that Mizuhara stole from him to pay off Bowyer, and lied about it not just to Dodgers and CAA officials but to Ohtani himself — have clearly painted a version of events.

One that Ohtani and his camp better hope is right.

HANG HIM!

2 hours ago, thegeneral said:

I believe Ohtani here. Or he’s an amazing liar. 

If his last name were Trump and not Ohtani, would you believe him?

On 3/22/2024 at 9:23 AM, thegeneral said:

They suspend wife beaters and steroid users for around a month or two as a baseline. No one gives a fock about sports betting (unless it’s on the sport you play).

He’s told a couple diff stories so far so he’s not helping himself out here. 

They suspended Bauer for a year and a half for being framed!

On 3/22/2024 at 10:27 AM, posty said:

If it is found that Ohtani did gamble on baseball games, would Manfred have the balls to ban him from baseball or would they just keep it as quiet as possible...

He'll get the Michael Jordan treatment.  He'll come out saying he's taking a year off to deal with the off-the-field issues... maybe 2, and then come back.  No one will ever say he actually bet on baseball and the league will never "punish" him.

Like Chris Carter said, you gotta have a fall guy.  Play ball! 

34 minutes ago, edjr said:

If his last name were Trump and not Ohtani, would you believe him?

Trump’s got a bit of track record with the truth wouldn’t you say 😂

I don’t really care what happens to Ohtani but think he can’t be stupid enough to gamble away his career. The little that he has allowed people to know about him he seems like a dork. 

3 hours ago, BeachGuy23 said:

HTF did the interpreter get access to his millions?

Makes zero sense. 

Agree BOYO, I think Ohtani is full of shizz. None of this adds up. 

52 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They suspended Bauer for a year and a half for being framed!

I hadn’t followed what’s up with that story. If he didn’t do anything I’d assume the players association would have gotten him back in.

Saw he’s pitching in Mexico.

42 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

I hadn’t followed what’s up with that story. If he didn’t do anything I’d assume the players association would have gotten him back in.

Saw he’s pitching in Mexico.

Manfred gave him a 300+ game suspension and an arbitrator (with the player association backing him), got it knocked down to like 190 or something like that.  He proved that one girl set him up and her accusations of sexual assault were dropped.  There are still other accusations against him, but the girl he took to court was the reason they suspended him.  He's also not signed because everyone hates him... he's a complete azzhole.  LOL  He did pitch in Japan and wasn't as good there as here, plus he's 32 now, so there's no real desire to sign him.  But still, without that one big accusation, there wasn't much to go on, and he proved she lied and set him up.  Had that not happened, he probably gets a 30-game suspension and pitching today.