Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Another fast food place closes in CA same day as minimum wage goes to $20

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

A year into Measure ULA, a stiff real estate market in the city

Residential and commercial sales have both collapsed

https://therealdeal.com/magazine/april-2024/a-year-into-measure-ula-a-stiff-real-estate-market-in-the-city/

It’s not happening. Tim said so. 

18 minutes ago, squistion said:

You can't answer the simple questions I have posed.

Your questions are irrelevant to my goals....

I do agree with the general premise of this thread: minimum wage increases are a tax on the consumer that hurts many small businesses. As an economic principle that is absolutely true. It just doesn’t apply to California in the way you guys are assuming because other factors are at play. 

But my question for those of you who, correctly, are concerned about government taxation and regulations- how could you possibly ever vote for Donald Trump??? For all Joe Biden and the Democrats have done with regard to these issues, Trump will be far worse by any objective measure. Let’s start with the 10% tariff on all imported goods he is proposing. Dont you guys realize what a huge tax that will be, how damaging it will be to the economy? I just don’t understand how people who claim to like capitalist solutions can support this guy. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

I do agree with the general premise of this thread: minimum wage increases are a tax on the consumer that hurts many small businesses. As an economic principle that is absolutely true. It just doesn’t apply to California in the way you guys are assuming because other factors are at play. 

But my question for those of you who, correctly, are concerned about government taxation and regulations- how could you possibly ever vote for Donald Trump??? For all Joe Biden and the Democrats have done with regard to these issues, Trump will be far worse by any objective measure. Let’s start with the 10% tariff on all imported goods he is proposing. Dont you guys realize what a huge tax that will be, how damaging it will be to the economy? I just don’t understand how people who claim to like capitalist solutions can support this guy. 

Yeah because Biden has done a bang up job and prices haven't gone up one iota.  It's like you live in fantasyland Tim. 

7 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

A year into Measure ULA, a stiff real estate market in the city

Residential and commercial sales have both collapsed

https://therealdeal.com/magazine/april-2024/a-year-into-measure-ula-a-stiff-real-estate-market-in-the-city/

My post was about retail leasing. Not commercial sales. Obviously Covid has destroyed office building leasing and sales and that is very problematic both in California and elsewhere. I don’t think it’s coming back. Industrial property has also taken a huge hit. But none of this has anything to do with the topic at hand. 

16 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

@RLLD the thing is we’re not seeing a lot of restaurants closing their doors. It’s the exact opposite: in the busy areas (LA, Orange County, San Francisco, San Diego) it remains very hard to find good retail space. When something closes down it gets immediately replaced because the demand is great. 

Now in other parts of California: the Inland Empire, Riverside, Bakersfield, Fresno, etc-this is not the case. There is lots of vacancy because developers overbuilt. But that’s a 30 year old problem and has little to do with new regulations. 

The law only just went into effect.....in order for you to understand I am correct, alot of people will have to be harmed before an admission is possible....as has been proven true with Oregon correcting course.....they conducted a lab experiment on millions of people.....and after harming them profoundly......are now realizing.....ooopps....our bad....

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Yeah because Biden has done a bang up job and prices haven't gone up one iota.  It's like you live in fantasyland Tim. 

I think it’s its fantasyland to believe he’s done a terrible job. Inflation has risen all across the world but our increases are lower than most other countries. We have rebounded better. Most of that is due to our outstanding economy but some is due to Biden’s policies. 

I think it’s its fantasyland to believe he’s done a terrible job. Inflation has risen all across the world but our increases are lower than most other countries. We have rebounded better. Most of that is due to our outstanding economy but some is due to Biden’s policies. 

Biden is banking on you thinking that Tim.  You're a good little soldier. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

My post was about retail leasing. Not commercial sales. Obviously Covid has destroyed office building leasing and sales and that is very problematic both in California and elsewhere. I don’t think it’s coming back. Industrial property has also taken a huge hit. But none of this has anything to do with the topic at hand. 

Oh, you don’t see the connection.

3 minutes ago, RLLD said:

The law only just went into effect.....in order for you to understand I am correct, alot of people will have to be harmed before an admission is possible....as has been proven true with Oregon correcting course.....they conducted a lab experiment on millions of people.....and after harming them profoundly......are now realizing.....ooopps....our bad....

You can’t offer anecdotes of restaurants closing down and blame it on this law and then claim that it’s too soon to know how the law will affect people. Thats a contradiction. If I accept your premise that it’s too soon to see the effects (and it’s a reasonable point) then we should also disregard your anecdotes, right? 

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Biden is banking on you thinking that Tim.  You're a good little soldier. 

And Trump is banking on you not looking at the bigger picture. 

You can’t offer anecdotes of restaurants closing down and blame it on this law and then claim that it’s too soon to know how the law will affect people. Thats a contradiction. If I accept your premise that it’s too soon to see the effects (and it’s a reasonable point) then we should also disregard your anecdotes, right? 

Except my links have quotes from the business owners....admitting....are we to now call them liars?

More will close, plenty will fight to exist....as they should......but more and more will close, and it will harm the people these politicians pretend they care about

Just now, RLLD said:

Except my links have quotes from the business owners....admitting....are we to now call them liars?

More will close, plenty will fight to exist....as they should......but more and more will close, and it will harm the people these politicians pretend they care about

I’m not calling them liars. But they are self serving and in these situations they always blame outside conditions. Do you really think Mod Pizza is ever going to say “we screwed up and opened too many locations in the inland empire and a few locations that weren’t visible enough.”?

Incidentally, Mod Pizza is one of those places where the customer makes his own pizza. Theres about 4 of these, all very similar, competing with each other. They’ve overdone the market IMO. We have so much pizza in California it’s coming out of our ears. You can get sushi pizza now. Yesterday I saw a new place offering Chicken Tandoori Pizza. Not kidding. Only ice cream is more available, 

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I’m not calling them liars. But they are self serving and in these situations they always blame outside conditions. Do you really think Mod Pizza is ever going to say “we screwed up and opened too many locations in the inland empire and a few locations that weren’t visible enough.”?

Incidentally, Mod Pizza is one of those places where the customer makes his own pizza. Theres about 4 of these, all very similar, competing with each other. They’ve overdone the market IMO. We have so much pizza in California it’s coming out of our ears. You can get sushi pizza now. Yesterday I saw a new place offering Chicken Tandoori Pizza. Not kidding. Only ice cream is more available, 

Business is indeed self-serving, as are their employees......this is how it works..... so yeah.   Moreover, the business has an obligation to its employees to try to stay in business.....and when government does something stupid they naturally....and rightfully react to preserve the business and if that is at the expense of the employee.....its is not the fault of the business reacting to the governmental influence, it is the fault of the government meddling where it has no right to....

I leave it to you to focus on MOD, I added that one for a reason, and it seems to be delivering what I expected.....

21 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

That is exactly what you do!

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

The Trump tax package was a great benefit to my business, specifically the S Corp treatment that Sen. Johnson fought hard for in order to get his vote.  Taxation is actually the runaway top reason from a self interest standpoint for me to vote for either, and that would be for Trump.

As far as tariffs go, yes they will cause price increases.  In rough terms those increased prices will go to the government.  It essentially should function as a de-facto use/consumption tax.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Mod Pizza is one of those places where the customer makes his own pizza. 

No it isn't. 

Blowhard just says stuff. 

9 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

No, Tim. The customer doesn't make their own pizza, but they do custom order the ingredients on it, which is not the same thing. 

10 hours ago, RLLD said:

Not the Mod Pizza link, unless fired hourly employees now count as “business owners.”

Maybe their pizza isn’t good.  The pictures on their website look gross.  I saw they closed their only 2 locations in New Jersey, which is a good sign the pizza is sh1t because it can’t compete with real pizza.

12 minutes ago, squistion said:

No, Tim. The customer doesn't make their own pizza, but they do custom order the ingredients on it, which is not the same thing. 

Thats what I meant. You pick the ingredients. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I've never ordered a pizza from anywhere without telling them what I wanted on it.  

But you guys are idiots so you think that's an important distinction to make.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Yeah, it’s the same as making it. Like when I order a BLT. It’s just like cooking the bacon and toasting the bread. 

Hey guys, just so you know Domino's doesnt just deliver pizza, they let you pick the type of crust and your toppings. They even have different sizes!

9 minutes ago, Jose M said:

Hey guys, just so you know Domino's doesnt just deliver pizza, they let you pick the type of crust and your toppings. They even have different sizes!

You’re not a very smart person are you? But then I knew that already. 

53 minutes ago, Jose M said:

Except then you have to wait like 15 minutes for it.  Apparently this place only takes 2 or 3.   It’s basically Chipotle for Pizza and Tim is right that there are several chains doing the same concept.

9 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Not the Mod Pizza link, unless fired hourly employees now count as “business owners.”

Maybe their pizza isn’t good.  The pictures on their website look gross.  I saw they closed their only 2 locations in New Jersey, which is a good sign the pizza is sh1t because it can’t compete with real pizza.

It was a plucked example that I knew someone would latch on to in order to try to pretend it away, so it worked

22 minutes ago, RLLD said:

It was a plucked example that I knew someone would latch on to in order to try to pretend it away, so it worked

What was invalid about his point?

A restaurant closes 27 locations, only 5 of which are located in the state with the newly raised minimum wage, why would you assume that is the underlying reason?

They had 31 stores in 2014 and 500 by 2021.  Looks to me like a classic case of expanding too fast. But I know the GC will never miss an opportunity to try to own the libs.

Just now, TimHauck said:

What was it invalid about his point?

A restaurant closes 27 locations, only 5 of which are located in the state with the newly raised minimum wage, why would you assume that is the reason?

They had 31 stores in 2014 and 500 by 2021.  Looks to me like a classic case of expanding too fast. But I know the GC will never miss an opportunity to try to own the libs.

I dont think you understand.....

I could have not used that example.....I could have used something else....but I purposely added it to see if there are those who would latch on to the implications of it, and rather than look at the problem.....use the implications to refute the entirety.....it was a setup to see who would try it

8 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I dont think you understand.....

I could have not used that example.....I could have used something else....but I purposely added it to see if there are those who would latch on to the implications of it, and rather than look at the problem.....use the implications to refute the entirety.....it was a setup to see who would try it

OK cool, so you agree that those Mod Pizza stores likely didn’t close because of the minimum wage increase.

4 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

OK cool, so you agree that those Mod Pizza stores likely didn’t close because of the minimum wage increase.

Aren't you aware that fast food places never closed before the minimum wage increase?

It's a disaster that democrats created and only Trump can fix.

I've just saved you the time of arguing with the partisan shill RLLD.

Not worth the time.

12 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Exactly.....I placed the nugget there to see if that is the only take away someone might try to pull....:thumbsup:

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Exactly.....I placed the nugget there to see if that is the only take away someone might try to pull....:thumbsup:

Weird strategy.  Try to prove that something is happening by posting a link that likely wasn’t caused by said something?

I’m not a fan of a minimum wage that high, but the most likely impact will be moreso higher prices for consumers.

14 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Weird strategy.  Try to prove that something is happening by posting a link that likely wasn’t caused by said something?

I’m not a fan of a minimum wage that high, but the most likely impact will be moreso higher prices for consumers.

I like to test things, its something I have done in the past.  I wanted to see who would seek to ignore the reality by accentuating the outlier.....it helps me better understand people and their motivations

Agree on your point about who is harmed more, business who can survive will pass along the costs to consumers.

Liberals amuse me.

They face this situation where they feel as though they have to raise the minimum wage, to help people make enough to live.....

And yet they position to ensure there is mediocrity in education.....resulting in......more people working minimum wage

Liberal policies are pointedly harmful to the lower classes.

9 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Except then you have to wait like 15 minutes for it.  Apparently this place only takes 2 or 3.   It’s basically Chipotle for Pizza and Tim is right that there are several chains doing the same concept.

It takes more time to make and deliver a pizza than it does to just make it.  Wow, another brilliant relevation from the retard crew.  

3 minutes ago, Jose M said:

It takes more time to make and deliver a pizza than it does to just make it.  Wow, another brilliant relevation from the retard crew.  

Peefoam is alive and well!

also what is a relevation? 

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Peefoam is alive and well!

also what is a relevation? 

I think Hyundai makes that model   :huh: