Sign in to follow this  
Maximum Overkill

Dynasty?

It's all I play any more

29 minutes ago, polecatt said:

It's all I play any more

Same. Redraft bores me to death. I'll play in a couple leagues every year but for the most it's all about the Dynasty Leagues. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Same. Redraft bores me to death. I'll play in a couple leagues every year but for the most it's all about the Dynasty Leagues. 

Yeah, I kind of phased out redraft leagues awhile back . I find it difficult to play both. It's hard to evaluate redraft properly once I get set in dynasty.

Plus I like being able to build a team over time instead of just drafting one each season.

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

Yeah, I kind of phased out redraft leagues awhile back . I find it difficult to play both. It's hard to evaluate redraft properly once I get set in dynasty.

Plus I like being able to build a team over time instead of just drafting one each season.

I took over a couple crap Dynasty Leagues last season. I blew it up 100% but I have 4 first round picks in this one draft (Superfex). I have picks 1.01, 1.04, 1.05 & 1.08. 

I'll definitely grab Williams at 1 and hopefully Harrison or Nabers is there at 1.04, perhaps both. If so I'll go Harrison & Nabers back to back. How insane would that be to start a Dynasty Team with Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr & Malik Nabers? Maybe Bowers at 1.08. 

I took over a couple crap Dynasty Leagues last season. I blew it up 100% but I have 4 first round picks in this one draft (Superfex). I have picks 1.01, 1.04, 1.05 & 1.08. 

I'll definitely grab Williams at 1 and hopefully Harrison or Nabers is there at 1.04, perhaps both. If so I'll go Harrison & Nabers back to back. How insane would that be to start a Dynasty Team with Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr & Malik Nabers? Maybe Bowers at 1.08. 

That would definitely be a great start.  Hopefully you can get Harrison. I think he's gonna be the gem of this class, but I get as many rookie WRs and QBs as I can.

I had to completely rebuild my team back in 2020 and I won my league this past season. I drafted CeeDee Lamb, Justin Herbert, as rookies and then right after the draft got Justin Jefferson and Cooper Kupp in a trade. This past season I drafted Anthony Richardson and CJ Stroud. I pretty much employ a no RB strategy and it's worked like a charm. If a good RB falls into my lap, I will take them, but otherwise I just go after the top waiver wire RBs the first two or three weeks of the season. There's always somebody worth picking up. Everybody else seems to chase RBs like crazy. I just let them and load up everywhere else.

8 hours ago, polecatt said:

. I drafted CeeDee Lamb, Justin Herbert, as rookies and then right after the draft got Justin Jefferson and Cooper Kupp in a trade. This past season I drafted Anthony Richardson and CJ Stroud

Wow, perfectly executed. 

That's the kind of draft I'm hoping to have. That's about as good as it gets. 

I'm in that same boat with RBs. I'm very thin right now but so is everyone else really. 

7 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Wow, perfectly executed. 

That's the kind of draft I'm hoping to have. That's about as good as it gets. 

I'm in that same boat with RBs. I'm very thin right now but so is everyone else really. 

Yeah RBs are so thin now it's not really even worth the hassle. I don't see that changing either. If you happen to get one of the 3-4 or so that are like old school workhorse backs, great. Otherwise, they're not much different than waiver wire TEs. You're playing TD roulette. And in all reality, if you do have a stud RB, you're probably better off trading them because they have a short shelf life, high injury probability, and somebody will likely trade the farm for them.

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

Yeah RBs are so thin now it's not really even worth the hassle. I don't see that changing either. If you happen to get one of the 3-4 or so that are like old school workhorse backs, great. Otherwise, they're not much different than waiver wire TEs. You're playing TD roulette. And in all reality, if you do have a stud RB, you're probably better off trading them because they have a short shelf life, high injury probability, and somebody will likely trade the farm for them.

I think it depends.

the one thing about a RB is they are not necessarily the position you build around in Dynasty.  (not anymore anyhow)

a good QB will last on your roster for 10 years.   Possibly more.

and yes, a RB career seems to have shortened. not many last too much beyond the rookie contract now.  look how many are dumped once they start making money.

so for me, (in dynasty at least) this is one of the final pieces to the puzzle.   you either draft them as your team is getting competitive, or you trade for one when you are ready to win a championship.

its a waste to have one on your roster if you are not competitive.

16 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I think it depends.

the one thing about a RB is they are not necessarily the position you build around in Dynasty.  (not anymore anyhow)

a good QB will last on your roster for 10 years.   Possibly more.

and yes, a RB career seems to have shortened. not many last too much beyond the rookie contract now.  look how many are dumped once they start making money.

so for me, (in dynasty at least) this is one of the final pieces to the puzzle.   you either draft them as your team is getting competitive, or you trade for one when you are ready to win a championship.

its a waste to have one on your roster if you are not competitive.

In dynasty I never assume a RB has more than 2 years left in the tank. A top notch rookie, maybe 3 years, but that's it.

A stud WR, that's young, I will give a max of 5 years.

A stud QB, that's young, 7-10 years.

Of course you re-evaluate every player each season, but this is my general rule of thumb.

I was the type of guy that had a dozen leagues if not more. Year after year (started around 2000). Redraft, keeper, salary, idp. Did everything. Even ran alot of them. (Not to mention the unbelievable amount of mock drafting FFToday used to do back in the day)

Believe it or not. The main board here was a hopping place. We had just as much action as the geek club.

Then 1 year, in a couple leagues. There was nothing but bickering. You couldn't make anyone happy. (There wasn't much overlap in owners either. Alot of different people.)

Needless to say. I wigged out, and dropped everything. 

When the next season started (2011). The only thing I never did was a dynasty league. So, me and 2 good fantasy buddies of mine found 9 other good owners that we already played with and started a dynasty league. That was my 1 and only team ever since. And I love it. 7 of us are original. My daughter actually took over a team a couple years back. It's the best thing I ever did.

12 teams. Ppr scoring. 24 man roster w/3 i.r.   Start: 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1 flex, 1te, 1k, 1d.

In 13 seasons, I have: 1 superbowl win, and 3 superbowl losses. And even in my crappy seasons. I just scout college players, and make more trades earlier. Truly, the best decision I ever made. To keep my fun hobby alive.

🏈

You fellas remember stud RB drafting. :wave:

Those were actually fun days. Not only would I go RB, RB. Depending on the board. Sometimes i even took 3 in a row. :doh: :lol:

• Like 1

14 team league, been with this league since 1988, we are going back to a non ppr, yea Rbs will go early and often.  I love non ppr leagues. A lot of a challenge because of how the game is now played and how Rbs are used.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kopy said:

You fellas remember stud RB drafting. :wave:

Those were actually fun days. Not only would I go RB, RB. Depending on the board. Sometimes i even took 3 in a row. :doh: :lol:

I remember in one auction draft; I got "stuck" with like 4 good RBs haha. Didn't have much money left over for other positions and I don't think I won the championship that year. It was hard to make a trade after the draft, I think.

I play dynasty.  It's kind of annoying becausr you have to stick with guys for so long.  

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I play dynasty.  It's kind of annoying becausr you have to stick with guys for so long.  

That part does suck. I'm fairly impatient but if a player doesn't break out by year 3 then I'm out. 

The biggest mistake that I see in dynasty is people holding on to players too long waiting for a breakout that never comes. Sometimes ya just gotta cut and run. 

33 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

That part does suck. I'm fairly impatient but if a player doesn't break out by year 3 then I'm out. 

The biggest mistake that I see in dynasty is people holding on to players too long waiting for a breakout that never comes. Sometimes ya just gotta cut and run. 

thats fair.   knowing where that line is can be half the battle.

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

thats fair.   knowing where that line is can be half the battle.

Yes Sir, and that thinking has burned me a few times as well. 

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Yes Sir, and that thinking has burned me a few times as well. 

well, just because you have prospects doesnt mean you dont draft more.    dynasty is a constant drafting and then trimming the dead wood.    I seem to do reasonably well in my drafting but I also do a lot more due diligence than most do on their players.

it also helps when people drafting ahead of me pick a guy I was iffy on anyways.   saves me the trouble (and risk)

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

also helps when people drafting ahead of me pick a guy I was iffy on anyways.   saves me the trouble (and risk)

In one league I have the 1.02 and couldn't be more thrilled. I'll gladly take Harrison or Nabers at that spot. I wouldn't want to make that decision at 1.01. He takes the thinking out of it for me. 

2 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

In one league I have the 1.02 and couldn't be more thrilled. I'll gladly take Harrison or Nabers at that spot. I wouldn't want to make that decision at 1.01. He takes the thinking out of it for me. 

I've got 1.01 and was dead set drafting Harrison...but after all the talk about Nabers I'm a bit unsure what I'm going to do at the moment, I almost wish I was 1.02 as well.

Just now, mattman7168 said:

I've got 1.01 and was dead set drafting Harrison...but after all the talk about Nabers I'm a bit unsure what I'm going to do at the moment, I almost wish I was 1.02 as well.

It's such a tough call, especially if Nabers ends up with the Chargers and Harrison ends up a Giant. I guess I'd base my pick on landing spot at 1.01. Whichever one ends up in a better situation is the pick. 

Landing spot doesn't really matter for a WR. Maybe to break a virtual tie. DK Metcalf, AJ Brown and Garrret Wilson are recent examples, while Quentin Johnson is an example of a great landing spot not panning out...

Don’t think Q Johnson is quality of player that Nabers and Harrison are.  Plus I think landing with the Chargers wasn’t that great for Johnson, with Allen on the team, and the team had issue last season. 

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Quentin Johnson is an example of a great landing spot not panning out...

He was going to suck no matter where he went. He'd be a 4th round pick in this draft, if lucky. 

I drafted Khalil Shakir his rookie year because he reminded me of Amon St Brown with his ability to get open... Although not as strong at the catch point.

Then buffalo drafts Dalton Kincaid and then changes up their whole offense to go from primarily 3 wide to 2 tightend personnel.

They basically did everything they could to ensure Shakir wouldn't get on the field.  Then finally through injuries, Shakir shows what he can do, but, alas, I dropped him 4 games earlier to cover some injury.

Yay, dynasty!  

I’m in a couple of leagues, that are sort of hybrid dynasty.  Not exactly sure how they’d be categorized.

One we keep 11, the other we keep 5, and redraft every 3 years.

He was going to suck no matter where he went. He'd be a 4th round pick in this draft, if lucky. 

Exactly my point. Landing spot doesn't really matter as much for WRs...

34 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Exactly my point. Landing spot doesn't really matter as much for WRs...

Well, yes and no. Garrett Wilson would probably be a top 5 WR with a decent QB, Waddle is a number one in almost any other situation, Olave, London, etc. 

If Marvin Harrison goes to NY I'd take Nabers all day in Arizona or San Diego. 

Well, yes and no. Garrett Wilson would probably be a top 5 WR with a decent QB, Waddle is a number one in almost any other situation, Olave, London, etc. 

Goes on and on.  

That would be foolish, but I don't play dynasty so have at it. In my league .5ppr Amon Ra was wr3 with Jared Goff, Mike Evans was wr5 with Baker Mayfield and DJ Moore was wr6 with Justin Fields. Talent wins out at WR eventually. In redraft you would have a better case, but not in dynasty...

Goff had the better season of those three qbs, so it would make sense that his top wr would better those other two.  

Mayfield was second, so it would make sense that Evans is top wr would be second of those three. 

DJ was third with the worst Qb of the three.  

I think where a wr  lands does indeed make a difference.  

10 hours ago, jrokh said:

DJ Moore 

QB proof? Since when, last season? 

I love Amon Ra, he's a stud for sure in any format. 

11 hours ago, jrokh said:

Talent wins out at WR eventually.

It does but it tends to win out more with a good QB and/or system, etc.

Doesn't necessarily have to be great, but it really helps if it doesn't suck

Did a deal yesterday in one of my leagues that I think I did ok on.  Traded LaPorta and the #18 overall pick for Devonte Smith and the #9 overall pick.  Also have Kelce, and we re-draft in this league August 2025.

WR’s are now Smith, Aiyuk, Hopkins, London & McLaurin.

Not a big te fan, in my redraft leagues I don’t draft a te until the double digit rounds, but I don’t think I would have traded away Laporta who if he stays healthy could be the top scoring ff te for years to come.  But you did pick up nine spots for your draft.  

17 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Not a big te fan, in my redraft leagues I don’t draft a te until the double digit rounds, but I don’t think I would have traded away Laporta who if he stays healthy could be the top scoring ff te for years to come.  But you did pick up nine spots for your draft.  

And we re-draft after this season (guess that makes it not a “true” dynasty), and I figured another year with Kelce was good at TE.  Basically came down to will Smith score as much as LaPorta out of a flex spot, and I think there’s a good chance.  And doing so moved me up a round in the rookie draft.

If not for the re-draft I definitely would have kept LaPorta.

You did gain nine spots, so now you’re in the first rd.  In non ppr last season D Smith 149 points, Laporta 148.  But Laporta was the number one te.  It’s a tough decision.  Good luck with this move.  

11 minutes ago, weepaws said:

You did gain nine spots, so now you’re in the first rd.  In non ppr last season D Smith 149 points, Laporta 148.  But Laporta was the number one te.  It’s a tough decision.  Good luck with this move.  

Actually have 2 picks now in the 1st…my #7 and the #9 I picked up.  I gave up my 2nd round pick.