Sign in to follow this  
gcmmidwest

Minnesota Vikings

Any Viking fans here? I'm jumping on the band wagon ...if there is a band 🤷 .... who's are quarter back  ...looking for any and all  insight..thank you 

Sam Darnold is the starting QB right now.  Nick Mullens is 2nd.

I have to think they're gonna draft somebody

1 hour ago, gcmmidwest said:

Any Viking fans here? I'm jumping on the band wagon ...if there is a band 🤷 .... who's are quarter back  ...looking for any and all  insight..thank you 

JJ McCarthy, Penix, Bo Nix?? 

What's your thoughts? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jefferson is traded.  

6 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

JJ McCarthy, Penix, Bo Nix?? 

What's your thoughts? 

Chicago has 2 picks before the Vikings pretty sure they snatch a QB ...and if Pittsburgh was smart they'd draft one also or after they start fields they'd wish they did...but I like jj 

19 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

Chicago has 2 picks before the Vikings pretty sure they snatch a QB ..

Yes, they're taking Caleb Williams at 1

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jefferson is traded.  

if doing that, might as well use him to get a top pick.    if going full rebuild, then might as well rebuild fully.

though I would argue that their line needs help.  Not sure you wanna put a rookie in behind that line.

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if doing that, might as well use him to get a top pick.    if going full rebuild, then might as well rebuild fully.

though I would argue that their line needs help.  Not sure you wanna put a rookie in behind that line.

I think Darnold will be their guy, lol.  I think they could trade Jefferson and receive some extra help.  

The Vikings were smart to let Cousins walk.  If they give up too much to move up, I could see a Panthers 2023 season on the horizon for them.  The roster needs talent in plenty of other areas.  They should be planning on rolling with Darnold, and targeting a day-2 QB and only pulling the trigger on one of the first round QB prospects if he falls. 

They want to move up to 3 in the worst way but the Patriots are asking too much.

Or that’s the media story anyway.

I could see them moving up for McCarthy. But shoot, even then they might have to jump to #4.

After that seems like there’s a big dropoff to Penix and Nix. Wouldn’t be surprised if neither is taken in the first round.

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

They want to move up to 3 in the worst way but the Patriots are asking too much.

I could see them moving up for McCarthy. But shoot, even then they might have to jump to #4.

After that seems like there’s a big dropoff to Penix and Nix. Wouldn’t be surprised if neither is taken in the first round.

honestly, this is one of those years that's so deep it wouldnt surprise me at all if its a year like the year marino was drafted.   he was like the 5th QB off the board or something.   still in the first, but late.

I have a feeling one of the later drafted QB's (later than the midpoint of round 1) will light it up.

granted I have nothing to base that off of other than there is a lot of depth at the position in this draft but also because drafting QB can be a bit of a crapshoot.

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think Darnold will be their guy, lol.  I think they could trade Jefferson and receive some extra help

I'm not sure Darnold should be anyones guy.   but you are correct in the sense hes likely the best QB on the roster so far.    but the bar IS very low.

7 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Penix and Nix. Wouldn’t be surprised if neither is taken in the first round.

I agree 100. Nix is 24 years old with tons of question marks and Penix is already 23 with a long long history of major injuries. 

15 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

thing I do like about Penix and Nix,  they are quick decision makers.   a Trait that usually makes or breaks a QB at the pro level.   some talented college guys just cant read and react fast enough to make it work.   those who have the faster processing speed have a tendency to have that ability to slow down the game (in their own mind) and make the right call.

Thats not to say these guys will be better than the guys drafted ahead of them but it wouldnt surprise me if one of these guys ends up having a decent career.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think Darnold will be their guy, lol.  I think they could trade Jefferson and receive some extra help.  

I'm not saying they won't do that, but Darnold couldn't get any better help than J Jefferson. They got Addison too at WR. He should have some targets.

Now, the OL may be a different story, but it's a catch 22. May as well draft some OL and keep the WRs

8 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I'm not saying they won't do that, but Darnold couldn't get any better help than J Jefferson. They got Addison too at WR. He should have some targets.

Now, the OL may be a different story, but it's a catch 22. May as well draft some OL and keep the WRs

well, as a QB if you cant play with that group of WR, you probably should just retire.

If I'm the Vikings, I sell the farm to get to #1 or I need to be willing to take what falls to me.  Not necessarily to #12, but understand the highest I can get is #4 and that I may have to get my 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th choice.

Cardinals are open to trading the #4 pick, I think I saw on a Twitter post. Also, Raiders want Jayden Daniels a lot, I guess. Trading up from #13 to #2; probably going to be pretty tough to do, though.

I could see the Vikings staying in their draft slots in the 1st round, getting a DT and offensive lineman; most likely those positions. They got a couple 4th and 5th round picks that could help them trade up into Round 2 or 3; if a QB slides or they see a prospect/sleeper worthy of them getting as a backup or potential starter for Week 1.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

thing I do like about Penix and Nix,  they are quick decision makers.   a Trait that usually makes or breaks a QB at the pro level.   some talented college guys just cant read and react fast enough to make it work.   those who have the faster processing speed have a tendency to have that ability to slow down the game (in their own mind) and make the right call.

Thats not to say these guys will be better than the guys drafted ahead of them but it wouldnt surprise me if one of these guys ends up having a decent career.

Penix is your boy then. He’s got a cannon. Nix, a pea shooter 

I would agree , if Darnold can play Qb in the NFL that should show up with the talent he’s going to playing with.  

1 hour ago, RareN64Dream said:

Cardinals are open to trading the #4 pick

Even if they get a haul I think that would be a huge mistake. I can't imagine passing up Marvin Harrison Jr if he's staring them in the face. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Penix is your boy then. He’s got a cannon. Nix, a pea shooter 

Penix is 24 years old in May and can't take a shizz without getting injured. 

A 24 year old is supposed to dominate against 17 -19 year old college kids, I don't get the hype. 

Kj Osborne went to the Patriots there gonna need to build chemistry 1st 

5 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

Kj Osborne went to the Patriots there gonna need to build chemistry 1st 

Are you new to Fantasy Football? 

15 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Are you new to Fantasy Football? 

Nope why do ask

I'm a 100% sure the Vikings will draft a QB this year. For their sake they better. There's Jared Goff, Jordan Love and soon th be drafted Caleb Williams. Chicago , Detroit and Green Bay should all.finish ahead of the Vikes this year so if Minnesota wants to be competitive in their division in the future they better draft a QB. Since they have 2 picks in the first round they should make a serious effort to try to move up to #3 and trade with the PATS. I don't think Washington is gonna budge off their #2 pick so the should concentrate on getting the #3 pick. It'll cost them thier 2 first rounders and at least a first round pick next year, so they'll probably overspend to get the pick, Ala my 49ers pick of bust Lance. Hope it doesn't turn out like that for them.

IF they can't get the #3 pick then it's still gonna cost them their 2 first rounders to move up and get JJ McCarthy. There's a chance of teams like the NY Giants, Broncos and the Raiders put forth an effort to get McCarthy do the Vikings better rack their brains to get up into the top 5 if they want even a chance of getting a QB.

Don’t see any direction that the Vikings take making them a winner soon.  They couldn’t get it done with Cousins, I don’t see it being done with a rookie Qb or Darnold, but when comes ff, I would rather see the horrible Darnold, he should be a good streamer.  

Here's a good trade comp. 

What did the 49ers trade for Trey Lance?

49ers get:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 3 overall)

Dolphins get:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 12 overall)
  • 2022 first-round pick (No. 29 overall)
  • 2022 third-round pick (No. 101 overall)
  • 2023 first-round pick (No. 29 overall)

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Here's a good trade comp. 

What did the 49ers trade for Trey Lance?

49ers get:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 3 overall)

Dolphins get:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 12 overall)
  • 2022 first-round pick (No. 29 overall)
  • 2022 third-round pick (No. 101 overall)
  • 2023 first-round pick (No. 29 overall)

it may be a good trade comp but its also a good example of why paying this much to move up in any draft is likely a bad idea.

in a year where QB are scarce and you are extremely needy at the position I guess that's the price.   but QB in this draft are rather plentiful.   if they dont move up they will still have a choice of some reasonable prospects.    from what I can tell, this might be the best draft for QB's in a generation.   

if they need a QB they will get one.   whether that QB will be the right pick and right fit for the offense may be another matter.

46 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

it may be a good trade comp but its also a good example of why paying this much to move up in any draft is likely a bad idea.

in a year where QB are scarce and you are extremely needy at the position I guess that's the price.   but QB in this draft are rather plentiful.   if they dont move up they will still have a choice of some reasonable prospects.    from what I can tell, this might be the best draft for QB's in a generation.   

if they need a QB they will get one.   whether that QB will be the right pick and right fit for the offense may be another matter.

Exactly, but that's what it's going to cost the Vikings if they want to move up.

Their 2 first round picks this year and next year's #1, at the least. 

They better be right. 

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Exactly, but that's what it's going to cost the Vikings if they want to move up.

They better be right. 

possibly.   I think in a year like this, 2 firsts and a 2nd might do it..     where in the first round are both of those picks?

15 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

They better be right. 

12 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

possibly.   I think in a year like this, 2 firsts and a 2nd might do it..     where in the first round are both of those picks?

Would they be wrong if the guy they want turns out to be the next Pat Mahomes/Tom Brady?  Meaning, I think it's only a bad idea if we in hindsight look back at what transpired.  If they're right about the guy they want, and he's a stud... and they don't pay whatever the cost, they'll be kicking themselves forever.  If in that same sense they trade the farm and they're right, willing to bet they don't give two shitz about what they gave up to get him.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Would they be wrong if the guy they want turns out to be the next Pat Mahomes/Tom Brady?  Meaning, I think it's only a bad idea if we in hindsight look back at what transpired.  If they're right about the guy they want, and he's a stud... and they don't pay whatever the cost, they'll be kicking themselves forever.  If in that same sense they trade the farm and they're right, willing to bet they don't give two shitz about what they gave up to get him.

Of course.  But everyone will need to see how it plays out. 

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

from what I have seen if a team is absolutely in love with a QB they will move heaven and earth to get that player regardless of logic or reason.

but this isnt San Fran.   the team had a lot of depth and got lucky in grabbing Brock Purdy with a late round pick.   if it wasnt for that, they might have cost their franchise a possible superbowl berth.

but in the end, this is a team that has the ability to move up.  they have 2 firsts already, so they dont need to sacrafice too much in the way of futures to get up there if they really want to.

but I would argue that the team actually has lots of holes to fill.    and the line wasnt great either.   putting a vet like Cousins who is good with his reads and can get rid of the ball quickly is one thing.  putting a rookie behind that line may be a completely different matter.

personally, I would need to be REALLY SURE about the move if making a move like that.

17 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Would they be wrong if the guy they want turns out to be the next Pat Mahomes/Tom Brady?

Of course not, but they have to decide, Is the next Mahomes or Tom Brady in this draft or are they Zack Wilson/Trubisky? 

I don't think it's as deep as everyone is perceiving it to be. I think it's a QB draft by necessity. So many teams need one. 

Caleb Williams is the clear #1, throw everyone else in hat and take your pick thereafter. 

Not even sure C Williams is the clear #1.  But there’s a lot of qbs I n this draft with good potential, many teams need one, it’s a great combo.  

On 4/22/2024 at 5:33 AM, Maximum Overkill said:

I agree 100. Nix is 24 years old with tons of question marks and Penix is already 23 with a long long history of major injuries. 

Penix is going to be the best qb of the draft.

Maybe or nix 🤔

On 4/23/2024 at 8:33 PM, Nomad99 said:

Penix is going to be the best qb of the draft.

Could be. I tell ya, if he ran at all, he’d be right up there with the top 3 

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Could be. I tell ya, if he ran at all, he’d be right up there with the top 3 

with their skillset they are actually likely more valuable as a pocket passer behind a good line.

just my opinion of course