Sign in to follow this  
gcmmidwest

Minnesota Vikings

35 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Could be. I tell ya, if he ran at all, he’d be right up there with the top 3 

Guy has a cannon. I worry about his history of injuries but if he can stay healthy,  he's going to be a big surprise. 

51 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Could be. I tell ya, if he ran at all, he’d be right up there with the top 3 

I'd be more concerned with the injuries than the talent. 

Oct 20, 2018 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Penix tore his right ACL against Penn State.
Nov 28, 2020 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Penix re-tore his right ACL against Maryland. He returned to Indiana in 2021 and took the field on September 4, despite not getting medical clearance.
Nov 2, 2019 Non-NFL Shoulder Clavicle Fracture Penix missed the final four games, including Indiana's bowl game.
Oct 2, 2021 Non-NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Separation Penix missed the remainder of the 2021 season.

33 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I'd be more concerned with the injuries than the talent.

this is what a handful of the scouting reports have said (to paraphrase) if he didnt have so many injuries already as a young man hed be going higher in the draft.

the general thought is whoever takes him may be able to expect a reasonably short career but there is a chance he may be a day 1 starter

Just now, Ray_T said:

this is what a handful of the scouting reports have said (to paraphrase) if he didnt have so many injuries already as a young man hed be going higher in the draft.

the general thought is whoever takes him may be able to expect a reasonably short career but there is a chance he may be a day 1 starter

And he's already 23 years old. He was playing against Kids in college. 

53 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

And he's already 23 years old. He was playing against Kids in college. 

I am less worried about that than I am the injuries.  at the NFL level the linemen are bigger, stronger, faster, and meaner.

whoever drafts him better have a good line cuz I think hes a bit fragile

Who starts jj or darnold ...I'm thinking harbaugh ran a NFL offense and the kid is ready 

1 hour ago, gcmmidwest said:

Who starts jj or darnold ...I'm thinking harbaugh ran a NFL offense and the kid is ready 

Ewwww, can I pick other? 

Darnold 

The playbook McCarthy received from Vikes had a $100 bill taped to the very last page....  

JJ found it and then mailed it back to the Vikes with the message, "save this for when we win a Super Bowl".  

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Darnold 

I would expect this, yes.  

With as much hype from the nfl coaching circles regarding this kid he better at least be pushing for the starter spot come camp.  

I think Darnold can be beaten in camp, I’m not a fan of Darnold, but I think he’s going to do enough to be the opening day starter, but I don’t think it will last long.  

2 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

The playbook McCarthy received from Vikes had a $100 bill taped to the very last page....  

JJ found it and then mailed it back to the Vikes with the message, "save this for when we win a Super Bowl".  

wow, thats a cool story.  maybe we should write a movie about this and tell a story. 

we could call the movie Draft day and talk about all the trials and tribulations of a GM on draft day.

it would be great!

2 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

I would expect this, yes.  

With as much hype from the nfl coaching circles regarding this kid he better at least be pushing for the starter spot come camp.  

well, one thing is for sure, I dont know that Darnold has ever had this kind of talent at WR.  if he cant make it here, he should never get another chance (in my opinion)

but JJ has a lot of the traits you would want in a QB to run this offense.

I personally think it is only a matter of time til he unseats Darnold.   the only question I have is whether it is week 1 or maybe mid season (presumably after the bye)

Darnold will be a good back up ...guys career #'s are 50/50 Td's vs INT's ....no way he finishes the season....let's recap ...he sucks 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gcmmidwest said:

Darnold will be a good back up ...guys career #'s are 50/50 Td's vs INT's ....no way he finishes the season....let's recap ...he sucks 

well, you also need to keep in mind the teams he was on.    he was on an absolutely terrible jets team when he started.    at that time the stats his first 2 years were somewhat promising for a young player, but he never took the next step.  then he was on a terrible Carolina team and was a backup in San fran for a year where he likely got some good coaching (perhaps for the first time in his pro career) but very little actual playing time.

Without a doubt this team he is on has so much more talent than any of the previous teams he played significant time with it is silly to even compare.

San fran may be comparable, but as a backup we never really got to see what he could do there.

That said, when there is a young, top rookie waiting in the wings, he wont get much time to prove himself.   but it is a chance to see what he can do with actual talent around him.

what we dont know is if they plug the rookie in on day one or if Darnold plays a handful of games before they plug the rookie in.   I guess we will find out in training camp.   If they dont feel like McCarthy is ready on week one, the bye week is the natural place to look at throwing him into the fire. (depending on where in the season the bye falls)

of course, Darnold might be able to earn himself playing time if he plays exceptionally well in that offense.

personally I think he lasts 6 weeks tops, but it is possible that the year in san fran could have matured him some and the fresh perspective could be good for his on field production.   I'm not saying this is the most likely scenario.  just saying its possible.

If he can’t get it done with Addison, Jefferson, Hockensen, A Jones, he should retire.  

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

If he can’t get it done with Addison, Jefferson, Hockensen, A Jones, he should retire.  

This is probably a fair comment  but it wouldnt just apply to him.   Any QB in the NFL who cant produce with those guys isnt a starter.  hes a backup.   

Is it a great landing spot for a young QB? I keep hearing that but I'm not so sure. 

Cousins didn't win dog dirt there and he had those weapons. We're expecting some rookie to be fine with zero experience against NFL defenses? 

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Is it a great landing spot for a young QB? I keep hearing that but I'm not so sure. 

Cousins didn't win dog dirt there and he had those weapons. We're expecting some rookie to be fine with zero experience against NFL defenses? 

Agreed. They didn’t win with Cousins, but for myself I’m talking ff production only.  

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

This is probably a fair comment  but it wouldnt just apply to him.   Any QB in the NFL who cant produce with those guys isnt a starter.  hes a backup.   

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Cousins didn't win dog dirt there and he had those weapons.

That's on Cousins (but he was a pretty good QB for fantasy).  I'm betting that Cousins won't win dog dirt with Atlanta's weapons either.

JJ coached by harbaugh pro run offense ... the kid will be ready ...only way I can see see darnold staying is if he lights it up & just can't see it 

9 minutes ago, Showboat said:

That's on Cousins (but he was a pretty good QB for fantasy).  I'm betting that Cousins won't win dog dirt with Atlanta's weapons either.

Agree with this, Cousins should help make players like Robinson and London more productive in ff.  But Falcons won’t make the playoffs.  

5 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

JJ coached by harbaugh pro run offense ... the kid will be ready ...only way I can see see darnold staying is if he lights it up & just can't see it 

He's never seen a pro defense and he's never been asked to do anything. Michigan won the National Championship on Corum's back. 

5 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

He's never seen a pro defense and he's never been asked to do anything. Michigan won the National Championship on Corum's back. 

none of the college guys saw a pro defense. 

but JJ played behind a good line and the line in Minny isnt great (even though the receivers are)

.   so there will be an adjustment there for sure.   I am hoping his penchant for quick decision making will make up for a lot of that deficiency but that may be a tall order for a rookie.

for that reason they may sit him a while before starting him

7 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Cousins didn't win dog dirt there and he had those weapons

Cousins was productive as a passer.   team didnt win a ton but that was not because of the offense.   The team had other problems.   Throwing the football was not one of them til Cousins got hurt.  

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

Agree with this, Cousins should help make players like Robinson and London more productive in ff.  But Falcons won’t make the playoffs.  

I think the Falcons have a decent chance to make the playoffs.   Cousins always has been a regular season darling.  His problem is he doesnt seem to be able to perform in the playoffs.   so despite other issues elsewhere in the lineup,  the team in my opinion has a decent shot to make the playoffs, but I'd be surprised if they go anywhere after that.

if it sounds to you like I'm a cousins fan, I assure you I am not.   guy is arrogant and comes off as a bit of a .   but he does produce as a QB in the regular season and produces well.  Hes also(historically) piss poor come playoff time.

I call em as I see em regardless of my feeling about the guy.  

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

it sounds to you like I'm a cousins fan, I assure you I am not.   guy is arrogant and comes off as a bit of a .   but he does produce as a QB in the regular season and produces well.  Hes also(historically) piss poor come playoff time.

I call em as I see em regardless of my feeling about the guy

He's above average. He's also an older QB coming off a serious injury. Unless desperate, I would avoid Cousins at all cost. 

10 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

He's above average. He's also an older QB coming off a serious injury. Unless desperate, I would avoid Cousins at all cost. 

well, in my keeper league I'm gonna have to make a choice in whether to keep him or not.

its a 2 QB league so parting with a QB who is likely to be productive is not to be taken lightly.    The injury itself doesnt concern me all that much.  hes never been a mobile QB so as long as it does not affect his throwing motion and hes still able to move in the pocket the way he has in the past I dont see the injury affecting his production a ton.

however I do think if I do keep him, this is likely the last year I'm keeping him.

I have younger guys I could keep at this point so its not a lock that I keep him

I'll tell you right now, if Kirk brings a Lombardi to the south, there is going to be A LOT of kissin' Cousins.

23 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, in my keeper league I'm gonna have to make a choice in whether to keep him or not.

its a 2 QB league so parting with a QB who is likely to be productive is not to be taken lightly.    The injury itself doesnt concern me all that much.  hes never been a mobile QB so as long as it does not affect his throwing motion and hes still able to move in the pocket the way he has in the past I dont see the injury affecting his production a ton.

however I do think if I do keep him, this is likely the last year I'm keeping him.

I have younger guys I could keep at this point so its not a lock that I keep him

Who do you think has a better year cousins or rodgers

On 4/26/2024 at 9:38 AM, kcBlitzkrieg said:

I don't believe that story for a second.  No way someone under 25 knows how to send physical mail.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gcmmidwest said:

Who do you think has a better year cousins or rodgers

tough to say really.

There are arguments for and against each.   Rodgers got injured earlier, so its been longer since hes played, but hes also had more recovery time.

Rodgers game also depends a lot more on his mobility, so the injury will likely affect him more as the scrambling he used to do may not be as good.

This is one of those situations where we wont likely know until both players are throwing footballs.    

but I'd fit both players into the same bucket risk wise.  maybe a bit more risk  with Rodgers as he is a couple years older.

• Like 1

Seems to me that Cousins would be the more likely one to miss time early in the season based on when he was injured last season, there’s always that concern with Cousins.  

15 hours ago, weepaws said:

Seems to me that Cousins would be the more likely one to miss time early in the season based on when he was injured last season, there’s always that concern with Cousins.  

hard to say.  

Cousins has been remarkably durable since he became a starter.   but yes, he got hurt mid season so depending on how the rehab went it could be a concern

all we can do is read those team reports.

Usually the first sign of a problem is that he starts training camp on the PUP list.   if that happens, I'd say its a big red flag in the sense of injury, but also in the sense that he doesnt get on the field to establish that connection with his WR and his teammates and there is usually a price to be paid production wise if you cant make that connection early in the year.  especially when playing for a new team.

Cousins and Rodgers got some stacked offenses. I think, Cousins will perform better stat-wise; just a guess.

If Cousins get hurt, Atlanta may have to come to terms with having a little Penix.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LaChup said:

If Cousins get hurt, Atlanta may have to come to terms with having a little Penix.

Stop shoving Penix down everyone's throats. 

• Haha 1

It's crazy to assume that Cousins is going to walk in and be something special. 

He'll be 36 years old in August, he's coming off of a major major injury, he's on a new team, new system, new players, new coaching staff, etc. And now he has to deal with the distraction of having the #8 overall pick breathing down his neck. 

I'm not so confident about this working out, it has the makings of a disaster for everyone. 

What happens when all the younger players naturally gravitate towards MP? The locker room could be a mess. 

12 hours ago, RareN64Dream said:

Cousins and Rodgers got some stacked offenses. I think, Cousins will perform better stat-wise; just a guess.

I think Cousins will be playing behind a better line.   

But its tough to beat the WR he had in Minny.

in the end I think it will be a wash.     That said, I think it will be a different looking offense than what he ran in Minny so there may be some adjustment time.   This is why it would be concerning to me if he started the year on the PUP.   he needs to learn and master the offense and establish those connections with his new receivers.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

It's crazy to assume that Cousins is going to walk in and be something special. 

He'll be 36 years old in August, he's coming off of a major major injury, he's on a new team, new system, new players, new coaching staff, etc. And now he has to deal with the distraction of having the #8 overall pick breathing down his neck. 

I'm not so confident about this working out, it has the makings of a disaster for everyone. 

What happens when all the younger players naturally gravitate towards MP? The locker room could be a mess. 

not that crazy.   he did it when he moved from Washington to Minny.

Then when Minny got a new OC he performed in the new offense too.

I'm not so worried about cousins so long as he doesnt miss a bunch of time in training camp due to being on the PUP list.

for me that's the key with Cousins.   if he starts on the PUP, it makes it a whole lot harder to pick up the nuances of the offense when you cant execute it on the field in practice.

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

not that crazy.   he did it when he moved from Washington to Minny.

How old was he then? And was he coming off an Achilles?