Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

NCAA = rooned?

I guess I'm glad to see players from my school (kansas) will finally be compensated for their contributions to the university :thumbsup:

So now they will be considered professional football players.  

I agree that it’s horrible for the game , but darn good for the players.  

Going to be interesting to watch this going forward. 

I see more problems with young men getting paid good money.  

Thanks. 

12 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

I guess I'm glad to see players from my school (kansas) will finally be compensated for their contributions to the university :thumbsup:

You mean a free education worth about a quarter of a million dollars wasn't enough?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tree of Knowledge said:

Does this pretty much kill the schools outside the Power-5?

Yes.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You mean a free education worth about a quarter of a million dollars wasn't enough?

This has been my point.  These athletes have been so mistreated…

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Not when the schools are making millions off of them.  Not every athlete gets a scholarship either.

14 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

I do kind of chuckle at the notion that a Kansas basketball fan is concerned about money to players as suddenly ruining things. The irony. :)

I mean, there’s a lot of schools that can complain about this. Kansas isn’t one of them.

A lot of ripple effects here.  The revenue from football and basketball helps to pay for all of the other sports, and all of the women's sports.  How will those get funded now?  Either some will get dropped, and/or tuition will go up.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Not when the schools are making millions off of them.  Not every athlete gets a scholarship either.

Very few schools are "making millions" off of them.  The good ones, causing the viewership, are.

43 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

A lot of ripple effects here.  The revenue from football and basketball helps to pay for all of the other sports, and all of the women's sports.  How will those get funded now?  Either some will get dropped, and/or tuition will go up.

Neither.  We're going to pay for it.  They'll raise the cost of ticket prices and demand a higher dollar for broadcasting.  In turn, networks will increase the ad prices which trickle down to price increases in the products.  Don't you worry, Title IX will be safe and the NCAA will still get their money.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Very few schools are "making millions" off of them.  The good ones, causing the viewership, are.

What do you consider, "very few?"

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Neither.  We're going to pay for it.  They'll raise the cost of ticket prices and demand a higher dollar for broadcasting.  In turn, networks will increase the ad prices which trickle down to price increases in the products.  Don't you worry, Title IX will be safe and the NCAA will still get their money.

Fair enough.  :cheers: 

Some schools will struggle with this model though, and "demand" is a dangerous word in negotiation.  If they could have "demanded" more they would have already.

46 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Most likely going to see a lot of sports being dropped at schools.

Just now, jerryskids said:

Fair enough.  :cheers: 

Some schools will struggle with this model though, and "demand" is a dangerous word in negotiation.  If they could have "demanded" more they would have already.

I don't mean demand literally, I mean it in terms of supply and demand.  Because there are only a few conferences worth a dam, the selling price for the Networks to buy the broadcast rights will just go up.  So, if the SEC was asking for $50M (example only), per year for 10 years from 2015-2024, instead of the asking price being say, $75M per year from 2025-2034, it'll be $100M.  They could only get this at the end of the contract.  They obviously can't do it mid-way through.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Most likely going to see a lot of sports being dropped at schools.

Never happen.  Ticket prices will increase, merchandise costs will increase, concessions will increase, etc.  The biggest losers of money are women's sports.  A few years ago, I read an article that said only UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, and South Carolina women's programs make money... every other women's team across the board, loses a LOT of money.  Title IX will make it virtually impossible for schools to drop programs.  Even if they do drop some, the impact will be pennies on the dollar, so it wouldn't be worth the effort.

More young people getting into more crap with the money that they wouldn’t have had if they didn’t change the structure of what it means to play college sports.  More issues , more death, more drugs,more murders to unwanted pregnancies. Shame. 

• Confused 1

I don’t really see the point of college sports anymore. Just junior pro league now like all those junior hockey leagues you almost never hear about (unless you’re a huge hockey fan) or minor league baseball

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

A&M is still making millions off Johnny

38 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What do you consider, "very few?"

Like 15 to 20%

https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/SportsProfitability

University of Iowa, in 2022 made a total profit of $37M.  The biggest sport was football, at $14M.  That $37M ranked 13th in country that year.  If you notice, Alabama is 11th overall at $52.6M with football leading the way at only $6M.

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

I do kind of chuckle at the notion that a Kansas basketball fan is concerned about money to players as suddenly ruining things. The irony. :)

I mean, there’s a lot of schools that can complain about this. Kansas isn’t one of them.

:lol: :ninja:

I'm not sure how more ku can squeeze out of me for my season tickets.   I'm probably invested between $6-8k this year for 4 seats to about 17 games :mellow: