Sign in to follow this  
donkeybalboa

Anybody drinking the TJ Yeldon Kool-Aid?

I got burned by the White Rhino last season, so I'm hesitant to chase after another Jags running back. However, MJD was serviceable/good for many years, and Yeldon could be that elusive 3-down back that is so rare in fantasy football....

I got burned by the White Rhino last season, so I'm hesitant to chase after another Jags running back. However, MJD was serviceable/good for many years, and Yeldon could be that elusive 3-down back that is so rare in fantasy football....

currently looking his way as my first draft approaches ... i am in the 10 hole outta 12, and looking wr/wr with first 2 picks.

Yeldon has been mocking to 5th rd as of late, and i keep seeing him there ... fwiw, when i do get him on the mock roster, and do the FBG rate my team, they are all very high on him, with one (Bob Henery i believe) projecting him as #7 rb for this year.

lotta positive buzz on this kid, and don't forget about what Denard did last year, meaning the right rb can get some burn down there ... if a converted qb can go get some, a kid of Yeldon's pedigree should be just fine -

well, the Jags had one of the worst lines in football last year, but they were also missing a lot of guys due to injury. I do think the line will be better this year and in future years.

that being said, I dont think Yeldon will blow the doors of statistically, but I think he will be an average back this season. He is likely a better pick next year (or this year if playing dynasty) But dont overpay for him in a redraft.

Current Bama RB's in the NFL

Mark Ingram - Mediocre at best probably worth a 6th round draft pick in trade value.

Trent Richardson - Why is he in the NFL?

Eddie Lacy - Has performed solidly with the advantages of a good OL and the league's best QB.

T.J. Yeldon...

Currently there are 10 Alabama Offensive linemen on NFL rosters.

I think the issue of "system player" should be applied to any Alabama RB's. They are usually running behind NFL caliber linemen in a run heavy offense. Even Lacy who has impressive stats doesn't strike me as a great NFL quality RB.

I guess what I'm saying is that Bama RB's college stats translate about as well to the NFL as do QB stats from a Mike Leach offense.

Toby goal line rb , Robinson proved last season he can be used on the passing game , and that leaves Yeldon . I have him right now in my 26-30 rb slots .

I fell for Gerhart last year too so I completely understand. I think that Yeldon is better though and could have a decent year. I think that Denard proved last year that a good athlete can put up yards in that offense.

Nope. Not drinking it. Not until he proves himself. Every was drinking the McKinnon, Cordelle Patterson, and Sankey cool aid. Look how they turned out

• Like 1

And Stacy . Some had Stacy in the top ten for rb last season .

Nope. Not drinking it. Not until he proves himself. Every was drinking the McKinnon, Cordelle Patterson, and Sankey cool aid. Look how they turned out

Patterson is a freak athlete who quietly had a lot of TDs in 2013. The Vikings were using him in creative ways since he isnt a polished receiver. Then all of a sudden mike zimmer shows up and decides he would rather force his unique asset to conform to the system rather than use patterson to his strengths. Especially with AP out, Cpat should have thrived running the ball 10 times a game. But no, head coaches are sooo smart so ramming asiata up the middle for 3 yards was a better solution.

What was wrong with McKinnon? It wasn't his fault Asiata was gobbling up the goal line carries.

What was wrong with McKinnon? It wasn't his fault Asiata was gobbling up the goal line carries.

Nothing was wrong with him. But every time the words "athletic freak" get used like FBN said about Patterson it usually doesn't work out. Both player are great athletes that's for sure. It just seems that coaches won't use them to their potential

I think the Jags running game was a bit better than people are giving credit. In the middle of last season there running backs scored at a RB1 pace.

Week 6 Johnson 10 21 2.1 1TD

Week 7 Jackson 22 127 5.8 1TD (Johnson 6 16 2.7 1TD)

Week 8 Jackson 18 108 6.0 0TD 1rec 10

Week 9 Jackson 17 94 5.5 1TD 2rec 10

Week 10 Jackson 15 60 4.0 2TD 2rec 10

If Yeldon takes control as a 3 down back, improvement on defense and offense; there could be a lot of value in his current draft position. FFtoolbox has the Jags RB schedule during the season as middle of the pack at 17th but the 2nd best RB schedule weeks 14-16.

• Like 1

SMH @ anyone who thought Toby was going to be a good RB.

I think Yeldon will be a solid RB but nothing great.

One of the most overrated players imo.

I am much higher on Yeldon than most. I watched his games at Alabama and have watched the older youtube games from when he was in High School. The problem isn't going to be Yeldon. His production will be heavily dependent on the growth of Bortles. If you believe Bortles can improve, and that the line has improved, he can be a RB2 this season. If you think their line is pretty much the same and that Bortles is nowhere near an NFL caliber starting QB, then Yeldon becomes a RB 4. He does face several unimposing run defenses this season and the offense is going to be built around him. He is quicker to the hole than his Alabama predecessors and he can catch the ball. I think his floor is pretty low for 2015, but his ceiling is pretty doggone high.

There were scouts who had him ranked ahead of Melvin Gordon. Plural. More than one Scout listed him as the best RB in college outside of Gurley. He reminds most of Eddie Lacy, but doesn't have the weapons necessary around him just yet. So, for beyond this season, I'm pretty high on the kid. For 2015, I'll take him if he falls, but expect nothing more than average to decent RB2 numbers at best. With al that cap money they had, they could have improved the line more. Maybe they will still sign someone.....

• Like 1

I'm buying TJ this year, especially in dynasty formats where you can taxi him. JAX has been the dregs of the NFL but are clawing their way back up. Much like OAK.

I am much higher on Yeldon than most. I watched his games at Alabama and have watched the older youtube games from when he was in High School. The problem isn't going to be Yeldon. His production will be heavily dependent on the growth of Bortles. If you believe Bortles can improve, and that the line has improved, he can be a RB2 this season. If you think their line is pretty much the same and that Bortles is nowhere near an NFL caliber starting QB, then Yeldon becomes a RB 4. He does face several unimposing run defenses this season and the offense is going to be built around him. He is quicker to the hole than his Alabama predecessors and he can catch the ball. I think his floor is pretty low for 2015, but his ceiling is pretty doggone high.

There were scouts who had him ranked ahead of Melvin Gordon. Plural. More than one Scout listed him as the best RB in college outside of Gurley. He reminds most of Eddie Lacy, but doesn't have the weapons necessary around him just yet. So, for beyond this season, I'm pretty high on the kid. For 2015, I'll take him if he falls, but expect nothing more than average to decent RB2 numbers at best. With al that cap money they had, they could have improved the line more. Maybe they will still sign someone.....

I'd agree with that. I also certainly wouldn't spend a high draft pick on Lacy if he played for the jags. I think both are 4th round (NFL draft) talent. One plays with a very good OL, the best QB in the league and one of the best offenses in the league. The other plays for almost the opposite. Basically if Yeldon was playing for Green Bay, I think you could pencil him in for pretty close to Lacy's expected production. But he doesn't, he plays for Jacksonville and I don't think he's one of the very very few RB's that makes an offense better by his presence. He's an ordinary NFL talent and thus the lack of talent in Jacksonville will likely constrain his ceiling.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2485180-how-2015-jacksonville-jaguars-offensive-line-has-improved-from-2014-version

I dont know if this writer knows anything or if he has a history of putting up good info, but the article seems ok. I've read similar things elsewhere.

I think with the changes, the line will be average unless Luke Joeckel takes another step (or two) forward. If that happens, the line could be above average and this kid may put up some decent numbers.

here is another post:

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/jacksonville-jaguars-offensive-line-review-020615

• Like 1