You don't become a millionaire through stock trading, you become a millionaire by saving money and investing it safely over long periods of time.

The government lets you put in 17k a year + company match into a 401k, start putting at least 10k into your 401k in your mid to late 20's and slowly ramp that up as you get older. You will be a millionaire by the time you retire.

Furthermore, you don't get rich by trading stocks using your money, you get rich by trading stocks using other peoples money and charging them a commission.

I think there are plenty of ways to become a millionaire, including speculative investments. But you have to be willing to lose everything you put in if you're going the high risk:reward route.

Playing fantasy football made me realize how difficult it is to predict the future. Nothing is a sure thing, and everyone has access to resources where 'experts' tell them the most promising players/stocks/commodities/etc. Cryptocurrency seems to be the next "big" thing, but I'd be hard pressed to stake my cash on something I barely understand. Still, I think it's pretty difficult to become filthy rich by sticking with 401Ks and mutual funds. Fortunately, a ton of $ isn't really necessary to be happy.

I think there are plenty of ways to become a millionaire, including speculative investments. But you have to be willing to lose everything you put in if you're going the high risk:reward route.

Playing fantasy football made me realize how difficult it is to predict the future. Nothing is a sure thing, and everyone has access to resources where 'experts' tell them the most promising players/stocks/commodities/etc. Cryptocurrency seems to be the next "big" thing, but I'd be hard pressed to stake my cash on something I barely understand. Still, I think it's pretty difficult to become filthy rich by sticking with 401Ks and mutual funds. Fortunately, a ton of $ isn't really necessary to be happy.

The long term 401k types is where its at for real. Put in the max, hopefully you get a match... shoot for a 10% growth...

I should easily be a millionaire before 60. Maybe x2...

Also while I agree $ doesn't equal happiness, it can be life changing.

Heck man...if things keep going the way they have been even with a set back or two... it could be lineage changing money. Not just a nice retirement for me.. but seriously set my descendants up.

It's intimidating and awesome all at the same time.

Thought the video was great. Awesome marketing. Have no doubt about Carvanas leadership, by the end of next decade theyll be a powerhouse.

You guys need to relax. Go look at an 8 year chart of Bitcoin.

I have seen carvana commercials and I have no idea what they do.

They are shitty vehicles that Dodge has made for years. Don't buy them :thumbsdown:

I have seen carvana commercials and I have no idea what they do.

First, imagine a vending machine.

Now, you walk up to this vending machine and find that instead of being filled with candy, it's filled with Tastykake Pies.

It's kind of like that, but with cars. :thumbsup:

First, imagine a vending machine.

Now, you walk up to this vending machine and find that instead of being filled with candy, it's filled with Tastykake Pies.

It's kind of like that, but with cars. :thumbsup:

Just googled it, no way in hell would I buy a used vehicle without test driving.

Just googled it, no way in hell would I buy a used vehicle without test driving. No way that business model takes off.

You get more than a test drive, you get 7 days with th'thing. :shocking:

If you don't like it, they come get it. :dunno:

Also didn't you buy a boat that was on the other side of the country? <_<

You get more than a test drive, you get 7 days with th'thing. :shocking:

If you don't like it, they come get it. :dunno:

Also didn't you buy a boat that was on the other side of the country? <_<

I also hired an accredited marine surveyor to inspect the boat on my behalf and shopped for boats for close to 6 months before buying.

The last couple cars I bought(all used), have taken months to find even after I knew the make/model's I was interested in. I test drive on average 15-30 cars before finding one, the carvana business model does not fit how I shop.

I also hired an accredited marine surveyor to inspect the boat on my behalf and shopped for boats for close to 6 months before buying.

The last couple cars I bought(all used), have taken months to find even after I knew the make/model's I was interested in. I test drive on average 15-30 cars before finding one, the carvana business model does not fit how I shop.

Millennials just want something that doesn't suck. :dunno:

Have you considered your shopping methodology may be flawed? Or different from the vast majority of consumers, at the very least.

Have you considered your shopping methodology may be flawed? Or different from the vast majority of consumers, at the very least.

Maybe, but 4 out of my last 5 cars had 200k miles when I sold them.

Millennials just want something that doesn't suck. :dunno:

We are close to the same age and i usually fall on the old side of millennials when people define the age range.

I drive a 10 year old Honda civic, a popular millennial car.

But you have 7 days to test drove and have it inspected by your local mechanic.

I'm not invested but I can see the business model

Maybe, but 4 out of my last 5 cars had 200k miles when I sold them.

And my cars had lower mileage when I got rid of them. How does that reflect general interest (and in turn, potential profitability) in Carvana to simplify the used car-buying process?

Are you only interested in investing in companies with which you agree in their business philosophy?

And my cars had lower mileage when I got rid of them. How does that reflect general interest (and in turn, potential profitability) in Carvana to simplify the used car-buying process?

Are you only interested in investing in companies with which you agree in their business philosophy?

I do not invest outside of my 401k, I was just stating that their business model does not work for someone like me as a consumer.

I do not invest outside of my 401k, I was just stating that their business model does not work for someone like me as a consumer.

why doesnt it work? outside of being stubborn?

• Like 1

I waste a lot of time doing nothing on the internet. I really want to start focusing on investing. I have been thinking this for months now. I also will not just dive in until I have a better understanding of the whole system. I tried reading investment books before and my brain shut off before too long. I got bored of reading the material.

Don't be surprised if you see Ethereum fall to around 150-175 in the next week or so.

Don't be surprised if you see Ethereum fall to around 150-175 in the next week or so.

I bet last weeks "flash crash" spooked quite a few legit investors. This thing is supposed to be the next big thing and obviously it's unstable as hell. That plus the blatent manipulation to stop a slide by shutting down purchasing or selling... meh.

I bet last weeks "flash crash" spooked quite a few legit investors. This thing is supposed to be the next big thing and obviously it's unstable as hell. That plus the blatent manipulation to stop a slide by shutting down purchasing or selling... meh.

I just look at it as another buying opportunity. It can be unstable as it wants to be, they all are and blockchains aren't going anywhere. Just a chance for you to get in at a lower price.

Bought 300 shares of Rite Aid this morning already up 60 or so cents. Probably will sell day before court date. Thanks WW.

:thumbsup:

hopefully some of you guys have and will profit off RAD

i wasnt able to take my own advice. most of the money i had earmarked for investing was used on my last buying of AMD (no complaints). I was going to toss the extra $600 i had already in the account into RAD but didn't do it this morning and missed the 30% pop. I think the merger gets approved and anyone who got in early today or before today will double up but its at the point now where the return on $600 dollars isnt really worth me going in only to find out the merger doesnt happen and it goes back down to $3.

I think another 60-70% up is the max you're going to see since the buyout price is $6.5-$7

maybe ill watch it early tomorrow and decide if its really worth a few hundred in profit.

• Like 1

hopefully some of you guys have and will profit off RAD

i wasnt able to take my own advice. most of the money i had earmarked for investing was used on my last buying of AMD (no complaints). I was going to toss the extra $600 i had already in the account into RAD but didn't do it this morning and missed the 30% pop. I think the merger gets approved and anyone who got in early today or before today will double up but its at the point now where the return on $600 dollars isnt really worth me going in only to find out the merger doesnt happen and it goes back down to $3.

I think another 60-70% up is the max you're going to see since the buyout price is $6.5-$7

maybe ill watch it early tomorrow and decide if its really worth a few hundred in profit.

Got in for 75 shares before the market opened this morning. :thumbsup:

Even if the merger is rejected, I like the fact that Amazon has even been mentioned in the same sentence as a Plan B.

Good stuff WW. :thumbsup:

Wow, nearly all currencies are taking a sh!t-kicking.

So... dumb question maybe... if we buy RAD and they get bought out what happens to the RAD stock?

Whatever the buy out per share is you get that amount for each share that you own.

Whatever the buy out per share is you get that amount for each share that you own.

And we're hoping the buyout share is more than 3.60 or whatever obviously?

Yup, we're banking on it being like $6.50. :thumbsup:

They are talking 7-8 right now. Even if the buyout doesn't happen just the possibility of a buyout should raise the price close to this value.

Major kudos to WW on this one.

They are talking 7-8 right now. Even if the buyout doesn't happen just the possibility of a buyout should raise the price close to this value.

Major kudos to WW on this one.

Aright... in for 268 shares

So... dumb question maybe... if we buy RAD and they get bought out what happens to the RAD stock?

just to clarify some points on this.

if the buyout by walgreens is approved by the FTC, the buyout price on the table is 6.50-7.00 per share. (earlier this year or late last year it was higher at 7-8 per share.

Basically, if the deal is confirmed, you're going to see Rite Aid stock jump to 6 and above. 7 might be a stretch but is possible. A lot of times, when these buyouts happen (see Angie's List) investors pile in and the price per share goes above the buyout price which doesn't make a ton of sense in the long run because the buyout price is all the stock is truly worth since at some point, that stock you own of the company that was bought out will be converted to stock of the new company at buyout valuation, if you continue to hold.

just to clarify some points on this.

if the buyout by walgreens is approved by the FTC, the buyout price on the table is 6.50-7.00 per share. (earlier this year or late last year it was higher at 7-8 per share.

Basically, if the deal is confirmed, you're going to see Rite Aid stock jump to 6 and above. 7 might be a stretch but is possible. A lot of times, when these buyouts happen (see Angie's List) investors pile in and the price per share goes above the buyout price which doesn't make a ton of sense in the long run because the buyout price is all the stock is truly worth since at some point, that stock you own of the company that was bought out will be converted to stock of the new company at buyout valuation, if you continue to hold.

So.. is the smart money to sell then or hold on i to the new stock? Apparently Walgreens with Rite Aid combined is supposed to be power housey.

So.. is the smart money to sell then or hold on i to the new stock? Apparently Walgreens with Rite Aid combined is supposed to be power housey.

totally up to you. I was looking at RAD as a short term investment with a chance to quickly double your money.

once RAD stock gets converted to walgreens stock, your 268 shares would convert to something like 22-23 shares of walgreens (WBA). At which point you are now invested in the future of Walgreens and you would have to ask yourself if you think the stock will go up or down based on competition from CVS, the potential for Amazon to jump into the pharmacy game, etc.... being that Rite Aid was struggling in the first place, i'm not sure I would personally want to hold long term. Yeah, Walgreens isn't Rite Aid but simply merging to be #1 in terms of locations doesn't make you the best. CVS may still be king.

Im just playing the buyout, personally.

Also, the buyout is NOT a sure thing. However, if it doesn't happen, RAD is probably still worth at least 3$ and could potentially be a target for Amazon.