Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

The Hitler brand

In Pakistan, “Hitler” is everywhere. Often searching for Wi-Fi signals, I’ll sometimes come across one with some permutation of Hitler’s name: “h1tl3r72,” “hitlerhouse,” or the confounding “ManUnitedHitler” combo I saw flicker on and off while sitting in a coffee shop. Stuck in Karachi’s never-ending traffic, I’ll catch a glimpse of “HITLER” emblazoned on the back of a Suzuki passenger van. Occasionally, I’ll see “hitler” spray-painted on a slum wall or stitched onto the polo shirt of a chai-wallah. The most baffling and established example of Hitler’s omnipresence here is a label called “Hitler: Reloaded,” headquartered on the corner of one of Karachi’s biggest markets. It sells moderately priced menswear.

When I reached out to the store’s management via email (resulting in an absurd Gmail thread that appears as “Me, Hitler” in my inbox) they said, “In Pakistan, we call Hitler to someone who is smart and clever. Owner’s friends used to call him Hitler so he put this name 15 years ago.”

Hitler: Reloaded’s management seems to understand Hitler means something “awkward” in the West. But in Pakistan, the name is so far removed from any semblance of Nazism and white supremacy that brown Muslims wear it on their business casual without batting an eye.

A year ago, I would mock Hitler: Reloaded’s ignorance whenever I passed it. But now, with the Richard Spencers and Jason Kesslers of the world giving power to Nazi iconography back home, the misguided ignorance of the store is somehow comforting. Hitler, to Pakistanis, doesn’t conjure images of violence and blind hate. If they do know of Hitler, perverse as it may be, they associate him with “strictness” more than gas chambers.

https://theoutline.com/post/2390/where-hitler-doesnt-mean-anything

Learn something new every day.

The fascination with Hitler is now down to 2 groups, both white, and one of them ain't moderate republicans. When the older generation of Jews dies off, it will be one.

I do like the irony of him saying he would have mocked them for their ignorance while he is ignorant to what it means to them. What a tool bag

Jesus Hitler, Adolf Christ...Is this the second coming or the fourth Reich? :headbanger:

I love how one of the biggest bakeries in Asia is called Sambo's. And yes, the picture of their mascot does it justice. LOL

But yeah, somehow American Negroes have it far worse than everyone else in the world.

Jesus Hitler, Adolf Christ...Is this the second coming or the fourth Reich? :headbanger:

Have you heard the latest single from Eichman Turner overdrive?

Can't wait to play it for my date on Christian Mengle.

I love how one of the biggest bakeries in Asia is called Sambo's. And yes, the picture of their mascot does it justice. LOL

That used to be the name of a restaurant chain here. I remember going there as a kid. I think it was similar to IHOP.

But yeah, somehow American Negroes have it far worse than everyone else in the world.

I always giggle when I see the BIMBO bread truck in America.